GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Best and Worst gaming components. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Some Guy
United States
flag msg tools
Which games do you think have the best and worst components? Pieces, manuals, boxes, all that jazz. This has nothing to do with how good or bad the game itself is, just what's in the box. And the quality of the box itself.

(From my small collection: )
Best: Letters from Whitechapel. The board, tokens, and pawns are all amazing.
Ticket To Ride: The best game insert ever.

Worst: Catan has probably the worst manual I have ever seen. If I didn't already know how to play it, I'd probably never learn. I've almost fallen asleep trying to read it.
Lords of Waterdeep expansion has a pretty terrible insert. The base game I can live with, but Skullport doesn't even fit the meeples properly (or at least my copy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 1 game of mine has the stock insert and it is Small World.

Dominant Species is my favourite component wise. Polis also has very nice components.

The money for panamax is pretty bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lina B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all my games, I think Francis Drake has the best production values. the pieces are wonderful, and really amp up the theme. The insert and box layout are simply perfect. It is really beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun you ask , because I openend for the first time the box of Eight-Minute Empire: Legends and its expansion, Eight-Minute Empire: Lost Lands and stared in amazement at what is without doubt the most beautiful game ofmy collection.

It simply perfect. The art is evocative the cardboard is tick and heavy and the cards must be 400gr for how they feel.

From the other side of the spectrum there is the manual of Tragedy Looper who is the culprit for this game being yet to be brought to the table at least once

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
United Kingdom
Smethwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my small collection I'd say that best quality would be:

Small WorldSmall World (insert especially)
TakenokoTakenoko (everything!)

An aside on inserts - the only game other than the above where I kept the insert was KrosmasterKrosmaster: Arena.

The worst quality I have in my collection would be, without doubt:

12 Realms (artwork, most of the minis, fuzzy looking print)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best looking games in my collection are probably Krosmaster Arena, Kemet, Kaosball, Takenoko, and Ticket To Ride 10th Anniversary edition.

All of them look amazing set up.

Worst components? Hmm. Um. Hmmm... I can't think of any gamea I own that have actively bad components.

EDIT: WAIT NO, Betrayal on the House on the Hill has trash components. How are those clips even supposed to do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best:
Man, that's kinda tough. I have a few that are oogle-worthy and/or great quality but my absolute favorite is Above and Below. It's freakin' gorgeous and you can play with either the wooden components (which are really great colors and shapes) or the cardboard tokens which are covered with more of the awesome artwork. The rulebook and encounter books are both well laid out and the encounter book, which is referenced frequently, is spiral bound. I feel like I'm playing with some kind of high-end designer game.

Coolest Looking Insert: Onirim (second edition). The rulebooks and insert all fit together to make the nightmare creature from the cards. The insert is covered in faux velvet too.

Worst:
The worst rulebook was definitely a tie between Daemon Dice and Munchkin Quest. We have yet to complete a game for either of those because the rules confused us a lot.

The worst insert is a tie between Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game and Dead Men Tell No Tales. In Boss Monster, the cards can get stuck in the insert because they slide under things. And the insert for Dead Men Tell No Tales MUST be modified. Otherwise you cannot get your punched out components into the box.

For worst components, some Dice Masters sets, especially the early ones. In the earlier sets, the dice were often poorly molded and the colored paint was coming off before they were even opened. Sometimes dice will also be chipped, warped, or smaller than the rest. This seriously has me questioning the balance of some of the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
EDIT: WAIT NO, Betrayal on the House on the Hill has trash components. How are those clips even supposed to do anything.

That's interesting. Ours work fine. I'd rate them on par with Zombicide's clips. They're not great but I've definitely seen worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Best:
Merchants & Marauders
Intentionally asymmetrical coins, treasure chests made out of cardboard, cards that have the same background as the board upon which you place them. Just unnecessarily great components.

Worst:
Battleground
Art that looks kind of simple and photoshopped, not a great rulebook, and cards from which its hard to erase the dry-erase markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.