GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,261 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Korean ASL is available for pre-order! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ledlow
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just went on pre-order today. You can reserve your copy here:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Products/tabid/58/ProductI...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
137 preorders in 45 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kolenski
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now 198. I saw and conquered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
I came.

...we didn't even know you were excited...

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back on-topic:

Count me in! But the usual questions arise: what pre-requisites do we need? I imagine with the upcoming release of Yanks! 2nd Ed. that will cover the majority of needs, but then again I see that other countries are mentioned (UK, Australia, etc.) so I would assume we also need FKaC?

I'm speaking aside from boards - no doubt there are boards that are needed beyond those two modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tisdel
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
The Man with the Pointy Hat
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"FORGOTTEN WAR is not a complete game. Ownership of the Advanced Squad Leader Game System is required for play."

That's shorthand for "to guarantee that you can play any included scenario, you need everything".

Or, to put it in a slightly clearer but longer way, "there are so many different pre-requisites required that we can't list all of them here".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good to know that they spent a long time thinking about the name of this module. It's not like it might be confused with:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6581/korea-forgotten-war

or:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9263/forgotten-war-korea

Well, at least those other games aren't published by MMP ... oh.

Seriously guys. That's just lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be passing on this, and am just now getting to know the other MMP offering on the subject, the OCS version, Korea: The Forgotten War, by MMP/The Gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they forgot the other name they had for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a ho-hum for me. I probably won't buy it. Not really interested in gaming that war. Too much of WW2 left to play!

Actually, I'd rather see MMP finish out the core modules: Italians & French before they venture out into new territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Woyak
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Everybody POLKA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preordered! 358 of 850!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is good to see, but hopefully energy is still being spent to get the other various core modules reprinted that everyone is waiting for such as CDG, HL and even AoO. It still is worth noting that even with this announcement Beyond Valor and ASLSK #2 are still waiting to be re-released, hopefully in Q1 of 2016, despite hints that it would be a Q4 2015 re-release. As I mentioned at the start of this, it's good to see ASL leave W.W. II and visit the Korean War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Actually, I'd rather see MMP finish out the core modules: Italians & French before they venture out into new territory.

Don't quote me, but I believe Korea is an ongoing project by an out of house designer who brought the project to MMP, so there hasn't been much needed out of hide and the bulk of the graphics were already available from previously remastered projects (Yanks, BV, Rising Sun). The art for Hollow Legions and Croix de Guerre will need to be recreated from scratch, which is a much more involved process.

So a new product for less than a full court press from the staff at MMP is probably a win for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
essayons7 wrote:
Back on-topic:

Count me in! But the usual questions arise: what pre-requisites do we need? I imagine with the upcoming release of Yanks! 2nd Ed. that will cover the majority of needs, but then again I see that other countries are mentioned (UK, Australia, etc.) so I would assume we also need FKaC?

I'm speaking aside from boards - no doubt there are boards that are needed beyond those two modules.

Yeah, they could be a little more precise than "Ownership of the ASL game system is required for play".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterhawk wrote:
The art for Hollow Legions and Croix de Guerre will need to be recreated from scratch, which is a much more involved process.

So a new product for less than a full court press from the staff at MMP is probably a win for everyone.

They can release the games with NO ART...no one stores ANYTHING in the boxes...cut the price down...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:

They can release the games with NO ART...no one stores ANYTHING in the boxes...cut the price down...

Interesting idea but remember the game stores do carry the product for retail so it's kinda necessary to present a complete game in line with the industry standards... even if a lot of us just buy the stuff online and chuck the boxes as you say.

The collectors will also buy some copies for hoarding purposes so they can resell them at high prices when the print run is gone and the world waits for a reprint decision.... in that case they will store their games in the boxes..laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:

Pretty sure he was referring to counter art - not the art on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CraigH wrote:
Yeah, they could be a little more precise than "Ownership of
the ASL game system is required for play".

IIRC, that phrase has been more-or-less "standard" from back in the AH days. Erring on the side of caution I guess.

That being said, I've read elsewhere that one will need the Russian (BV), British (WoA/FKaC), Americans (Yanks), U.S. Marines (Gung Ho!/Rising Sun).

With regards to boards/overlays, I'm guessing that perhaps it hasn't been decided yet, which of all the submitted scenarios will be included.

I'm sure more details of this will surface and the development work moves on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
ASLChampion wrote:

Pretty sure he was referring to counter art - not the art on the box.

Yeah? blank counters to play the game with?? Well I am sure Stephen will clarify if he thinks it necessary but he did mention the box being ditched, not the counters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
CraigH wrote:
Yeah, they could be a little more precise than "Ownership of
the ASL game system is required for play".

IIRC, that phrase has been more-or-less "standard" from back in the AH days. Erring on the side of caution I guess.

That being said, I've read elsewhere that one will need the Russian (BV), British (WoA/FKaC), Americans (Yanks), U.S. Marines (Gung Ho!/Rising Sun).

With regards to boards/overlays, I'm guessing that perhaps it hasn't been decided yet, which of all the submitted scenarios will be included.

I'm sure more details of this will surface and the development work moves on.

Well I hope you are right about more details because right now my attitude is kind of if they are too lazy to tell me what I need, maybe I am too lazy to tell them my credit card number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CraigH wrote:
Well I hope you are right about more details because right now my attitude is kind of if they are too lazy to tell me what I need, maybe I am too lazy to tell them my credit card number.

From the pre-order page:

NOTE: Because FORGOTTEN WAR is venturing into new territory for ASL, we have placed it on preorder earlier than normal in the process. It may take longer to finish fine tuning and lay out than it will to hit its preorder number. We'll post updates and new images on this page as things progress.

So we will have to hope the red part becomes true.

I am certain the list of boards/overlays needed will be announced after the scenario-list has been decided. The counters needed, btw, comes from one of the designers, so I'd consider that pretty accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kolenski
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MMP is hampered by old AH COUNTER art that is on film and has not aged well. It is not about the box art. No one who plays ASL is going to be confusing the game title with any other game. And yeah, ASL is a commitment; either you commit and get the basic stuff you need which gives more bang for the buck than many games sitting on the shelf or you don't. We know that.

If this module is good, you can bet that many people will be playing it and it will start being popular in tournaments and if one is a serious ASL player, you will probably want it.

If you want to just dip your toe in wherever, you can certainly do that, but screw all the senseless negativity and whining; that is ridiculous and unproductive. Buy it or not -- we don't care ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kolenski
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another thing ... The title is based on a classic book about the conflict, BTW. This titling of wargames based on classic books is common. No laziness here, sorry ... It also fits in with the theme they have going: Hollow Legions, Doomed Battalions, Armies of Oblivion. MMP is run by people with other lives and do this as a labor of love. Maybe they are making some money too, but trashing a quality company like this really bothers me. Go rag on Critical Hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.