GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,111 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » VIC (Melbourne)

Subject: ANZACon 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you live in or near Melbourne (Australia) -- or are prepared to travel there -- and you like to play ASL ....

You might want to keep the (long) weekend 23-24-25 April available.

Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Repost from GameSquad:

Hi all

After discussing it with Bruce and with his help and support, we have decided to go ahead with our own version - "ANZACon Lite"

Here are the details:

Dates: Sunday 24th and Monday 25th April - both days starting at 8.30am, with games beginning at 9.00am

Location: My office - 58 Wales Street, Thornbury...plenty of parking and secure location

Due to space restrictions, we can only fit 16 participants -- so let me know asap if you are coming..

Entry fee: $10

Two scenarios will be played each day - working out the details this week - please stay tuned

I will be providing a prize - if anyone can also contribute to the prize pool, we will be eternally grateful

If you are interested please email me at joemoro3@gmail.com

cheers

joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys

ANZACon is just around the corner..

Sunday 24th and Monday 25th

We have a few more spots available at the table - if interested in
participating drop me a line..

If you are coming - you will need the following bits:

Germans Infantry and Vehicles
Brits Infantry and Vehicles
Japanese Infantry
Partisans
US Infantry and Vehicles
Fortifications

Boards : 66, 50, 32, 7A, 38 and 17
Overlays OG1, OG2, O3 and B1

Brush up on fortification, including wire, trenches and roadblocks

Btw - Geoff is interested in going out for dinner (plenty of eateries down
the road!!) on the Sunday night
I think its a great idea !!

Cheers for now

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All

a quick update..

We are expecting at least 9 people (these are confirmed)

Joe Moro
James Westlake
Bruce Probst
Gordan Stojadinovic
Tim Read
Geoff Morris
Dave Wallace
Rob Macginley (one day)
Robert Hurley (at least one day)

*Still have 2 tables available (4 spots)*

If anyone else if interested let me know asap !!

Scenario have been picked

To clarify - Here is what you need to bring (down to specifics!!)

Germans (Wehrmacht) and AFV (1 x JgPzV, 1 x Marder III(t) H) and Guns (1
x Flak 38)
Brits Infantry and AFV (3 x Sherman III (a))
Japanese Infantry
Partisans
US Infantry (Army) and Vehicles (3 x M4A3)
Fortifications (trenches, wire, roadblocks, foxholes)

Boards : 66, 50, 32, 7A, 38 and 17
Overlays OG1, OG2, O3 and B1

I will print a couple of sheets of overlays...and maybe a map or two just in case..

Looking forward to it

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few years "resting" the ANZACon tournament returned to life!

from Joe Moro:

Thank you all coming guys..it was great to see some old faces and meet some new ones!!

A Brief Rundown:

We had 9 people participating this year:

Joe Moro
Bruce Probst
Dave Wallace
Tim Reade
Geoff Morris
Gordan Stojadinovic (Sunday only)
Jamie Westlake
Steve Lessing
Rob Hurley (Monday only)

On Sunday we focused on the PTO, with the Brits/Indians vs the Japanese in Burma

Rd1 AP86 Milling About

Rd2 SP126 Malignant Mahrattas

On day two, two scenarios were planned, however the scenario i picked for the morning ended up being a bit longer than anticipated SP154 On the Road to Hell.

I had the fortune (misfortune?) to play Jamie in the first round . When playing Jamie I KNOW it's a foregone conclusion..but he is a character and i always have a ball !!

Round Two was against Dave Wallace. Dave is true gentleman and it was good to catch up. I totally stuffed my set up as a defender and Dave was able smash my defence quite easily.

On the Monday, Rob Hurley made an appearance. He has recently taken up ASL again, having played back in 80's and 90"s, and now starting to get back into it

We played On the Road to Hell, and Rob was very much up to task, not having played Armour for many years. He has the making of a very good player!! It come down to last cc on the last turn and i was able to roll low enough for a win.

I had a great time and thanks you coming guys..it was a bit last minute, but we had lots of fun and was great to catch up

and now the results

1/ Tim Reade (3 wins)
2/ Steve Lessing (2 wins)
3/ Jamie Westlake and Bruce Probst (2 wins)
4/ Dave Wallace
5/ Geoff Morris
6/ Joe Moro
7/ Gordan and Rob

A big thank you to Rob for donating the first prize (a scenario pack). It was very generous of him

and a big thank you to my wife for providing Sunday lunch for the boys.

from me:

Report card: B+, must try harder.

A very fun weekend (playing ASL, how could it not be?).

It was supposed to be 4 rounds but the Monday game took way longer than expected to finish so Joe killed the 4th round. I don't know what the scenario was going to be.

Rd 1 AP86 Milling About - me vs. Geoff Morris. We diced for sides and I got British. I had a little bit of good luck in the first couple of turns which gave me a CVP advantage which I was able to keep for the entire game. Geoff kept pushing but was just not able to get far enough fast enough. In the final stages since I had the CVP lead I just ran away fast enough that he wasn't able to reach me (and was unable to exit). I don't think anything especially remarkable happened during the game. The scenario seems OK, maybe a trifle hard for the Japanese -- although Jamie pointed out that if the Japs get the CVP they need early (e.g., capturing some squads -- NQ is not in effect) then they can run away and the British will be forced to chase them.

1-0.

Rd 2 SP126 Malignant Mahrattas - me vs. Steve Lessing. I've played this before and won as the Japanese, so I gave Steve choice of sides and he picked British (Indian). He did an unexpected setup -- one big nut around his roadblock, the other on the board edge, using the stream as a moat protecting his guys. Seemed to me a little bit of all eggs in one basket, as it pretty much killed any chance of him retreating to safety if things went wrong. I sent a platoon, including Ldr + FT, to take care of the board edge guys while everyone else went for the roadblock. I had some good fortune on that score as everyone he had around the roadblock melted like ice cream in summer and by Turn 2 I was free to clear it in peace. Took me a couple of player turns but no stress at all. On the other side my attacking platoon had exactly the opposite luck, everyone died and he captured my FT. My reinforcements came in across the stream and then everything went my way -- dropped some WP (which broke the unit it hit) and then I was able to banzai across the stream and right into the middle of his position. He then proceeded to fail at everything, and the FT helped me more than it helped him with that handy extra -1 DRM. I think it was all over by Turn 4, I killed literally everyone barring 1 leader. Except for that brief moment when he killed that 1st platoon basically nothing ever went his way. The scenario is still fun and somewhat interesting but it's probably pro-Japanese, they just have a ton of options.

2-0.

Rd 3 SP154 On The Road To Hell - me vs. Tim Reade. We both had 2 wins so effectively we were duking it out for the top prize! (Steve won his third game and he ended up taking second place with points, so Jamie and I ended up tying for 3rd place.) I've played this one before too as the Allies, we diced it and I was Allies again. This was one of the most intense games of ASL I have EVER played. Turn 1 for me started out fantastic, indeed it would have been hard for it to have gone much better for me. I was able to storm into a good position immediately, putting almost all of Tim's forces (including the Jagdpanther) under threat. Then Tim just pulled out everything he needed, right out of his bottom. Everything he did worked (including 2 Bounding First Fire shots from the Jagdpanther, burning 2 Shermans) while I had no good results at all -- missing every shot, failing every MC, etc. My excellent position turned into a shattered mess. Then Tim proceeded to continue doing more of the same over the next couple of player turns. Only the thought of the strong British reinforcements kept me going. Then it all turned around -- exactly when I needed it, everyone rallied, every shot I took worked (Tim making a whole string of spectacularly bad MC DRs) and I was back in it! Then it turned around AGAIN, when I was on the verge of punishing his infantry and threatening the JP with bazookas, everyone started failing MC etc. Oh well, let's try one more turn and see what happens -- well, the British 9-2 (who had broken, of course) rallies under DM, rallies the broken squad with him who became Fanatic from HOB, and then Tim has another round of spectacularly bad MC DRs and suddenly his JP is all alone and literally surrounded by my infantry. His other infantry were also on the verge of being surrounded. The 9-2 and Fanatics went into CC with the JP (no need to worry about a PAATC!) and I rolled snake-eyes to tear it open with their bare hands (and created an 8-0 leader in the process, not the first leader I created in that game incidentally). Another turn or so of maneuver took care of the remaining German "nut". That left Tim with just the Marder and 1 squad, but that was still all he needed for the win, so I had to take care of them. He retreated them as far as he could go and still be eligible to win and I had to chase him down with everything I had left. Unfortunately those burning Shermans had by this time set fire to the entire middle of the board and the majority of my guys were unable to get anywhere near to where they needed to go in the time remaining. I was able to knacker the Marder by breaking the crew (shooting through the unarmoured rear facing) but I was unable to strip concealment from the squad and in the final CCPh that enabled him to win the ambush and withdraw to a safe hex and win. What a game!

2-1.

The scenario needs very careful play by both sides. Steve Lessing beat Geoff's Allies without too much difficulty (I believe), but all three of the other games (Jamie vs. Wal, and Joe vs. Rob Hurley (new guy)) came down to the last CCPh. The Germans won all 4 games but certainly it might easily have gone the other way in any of them. The German infantry is tough but the Allies have enough to subdue them, but the JP is a major problem not easily dealt with.

This year's event was very "last-minute" but it worked well enough for what it was. Hopefully someone will step forward to organise it for next year and make it even bigger and better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave V
Australia
flag msg tools
Shame I missed it and It looks like I missed 2017 as well.

I am interested in 2018.

David Vincent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

Good to hear from you again. There was no ANZACon 2017, unfortunately.

I am hosting a small ASL "do" at my place in Glen Waverley next weekend, you are welcome to come by either/both days if you are interested -- email me for details (applies to anyone reading this, not just David).

Alternatively Sunday is the regular monthly meeting of the VHBC at Games Lab in the city -- you would be welcome to show up there (best to make sure that you have an opponent though -- post on their guild forum to organise a match: Victorian Historical Boardgame Collective. The more ASL players that attend the merrier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.