GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault – Twin Shadows» Forums » General

Subject: Twin Shadows unbalanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Koehnlein
United States
Rosedale
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I was just wondering if anyone else has run into balancing problems with this expansion. My friend and I played through the base campaign and loved it. We both know what we are doing and are familiar with the rules/tactics on playing. We played three missions of this mini campaign and the first mission seemed extremely favored towards the rebels, while the second and third were heavily favored towards the imperials. Our observation was that 1) the rebels were not experienced enough despite the extra credits and xp 2) the imperial player seems so get too much threat 3) the imperial player starts out with too many characters at the beginning of each mission. My friend played as the rebels and took two heros. We didn't even play the final mission because game 2 and 3 were so uneven (or so we thought)...ill add that we both love this game and enjoy playing it. Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group had the opposite experience, that Twin Shadows missions were tightly won by either side (i.e. a die roll, or one more turn would have won it for the other side), while the Core Set's missions were a complete wash, the Imperials winning 10 of the 13 missions, most were decided by turn 2.

Especially with 2 Heroes, the last two missions are 'running' missions, and with Legendary Heroes, those tend to be very much in the favor of the heroes (since they can do 4 move actions in a round). Were your heroes focusing too much on the combat?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our Twin Shadows went 2-2, with Imperial win for the finale (mainly due to lucky ISB Enforcers).

(4 heroes should be give better balance on average.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Kuijs
msg tools
mbmb
We had a balance issue because we won 3 and the empire did the regards wrong and gave Us too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say always play with 4 heroes. Even with only 2 players, it's really not that hard to manage 4 heroes at once.

The game seems best balanced with 4 heroes on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
With my mini campaign currently on the Finale it has been very close. We have played with 4 heroes and the Imperial Player, all of whom are very experienced at SW:IA and Descent. So far the Imperial won the first, (very close and on the last round), the Rebels have won the next two, which were once again down to a die roll on the last round.

However, I think they are going to win the finale, regardless it has been very close all three of these games which makes for an enjoyable experience. Hopefully Return to Hoth plays out in a similar fashion.

P.S. Echoing what other people have said, only play this game with 4 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Koehnlein
United States
Rosedale
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for the input guys...seems like 4 characters is the way to go...when we played the core game I controlled 4 characters and it was always close. My friend and I will have to give this expansion a second chance using 4 heroes! Hope you all have a nice new year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

We had the exact same experience as you with the Rebel playing two legendary heroes. In our case I felt like the rebels took too much time shooting every enemy rather than sprinting for the objective. That said, I do feel like the 2nd mission is heavily imperial favoured if the rebels win the intro mission (whether with 2 or 4 heroes). Mission 1 with two legendaries is almost a walk in the park though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this over the weekend, my first time as Imperial. I had no clue what I was doing most of the time, especially during the upkeep phase between missions and setting everything up at the start, but the Rebels played two ledgendary (the two from the expansion) and once Han died in the intro and they realised the heroes could complete the objective, had an easy time. I won the next two missions, with the rebels just giving up before the end. The Rebels then waltzed through the final mission, I did wound one hero but the other (Biv) was at full health when the mission ended. It didn't help that I spent all my influence cards on the third mission because I misread the log and thought it was the last mission...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the first 2 missions yesterday and we Rebels won both missions pretty easily (We decided to forgo one crate each time in saving time and hoping for a "If won in X rounds, gain bonus Y".
Our IP used Inspiring Leadership while we played Gideon, Diala, Fenn and Jyn.
Our IP has played the base campaign as a rebel before while I played the base campaign as a Rebel before once (SWIA007) and twice as Imperial (SWIA008 and RL). The rest of the group played a base game campaign as Rebels.

Spoilers ahead about our session:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The missions felt easy, but we had some great rolls early on (like 4 successes on Diala's first attempt to open the door to the safe), a dodge from Han when when attacked by Boba for the first time, and a great counterattack, a great counterattack after a bad roll.
In the second mission, Han survived barely with only 1 damage left to kill him with only C3P0 and Jyn left to go, when Jyn luckily got a Bacta infusion to patch Han back up and have him survive the exploding Probe Droid that was going to happen. As we got rid of Boba quickly (with basically only Han and almost all of us saving up for 4 XP skills) and a happily surviving Han that easily killed Kayne with 4 back to back attacks (Masterstroke end of round, and start of next round).
So we were pretty lucky every now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Helfrich
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is quite the opposite. We are playing Twin Shadows mini campaign for the first time and I have elected to control the Imperials. My enemies consist of Gideon, Biv, Fenn, and Gaarkan. We are down to the finale and other than the first mission (where I made a couple costly mistakes), I haven't had a chance on any of the other missions. The Rebels come into the very first mission with quite a few skills and beefed up weapons, and that only gets substantially worse each round. They have been so lopsided towards the rebels its maddening. We played the core campaign and most of the missions felt that each side had a chance to win. I'm willing to chalk some of the onesidedness up to inexperience on my part, but the two guys controlling the rebels are no more experience than myself. Plus I chose the Inspiring Leadership deck, which I have a hard time finding any benefit. I have only managed to wound 1 out of the 4 characters in any given mission, and the rebels have been able to either wipe me out or finish the missions with 1-2 rounds to spare. Based on the other replies I'm clearly doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wannabepudge wrote:
I chose the Inspiring Leadership deck, which I have a hard time finding any benefit.

I'm finding the same issue with the Inspiring Leadership deck. See Rise and Fall of the Twin Shadows - SWIA024 - FINISHED 20160705. I won the first 3 missions (out of 7) though.

I will probably write more about the deck after the campaign, but currently I see the biggest downside of the deck that it has (practically) no way to increase the quality (damage output) of the imperial attacks. It is great for positioning and increasing the number of attacks (Lead by Example), but you need expensive units to really get any benefits.

It does not help any that the rebels are rolling an inordinate amount of dodges and get blocks from Saska's Energy Shield.

(My other issue with the campaign is my own doing - I'm testing an extended Twin Shadows campaign, and the total amount of influence gained seems low when I reduce the rewards of story missions to allow side missions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Doroski
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Locu wrote:
We played the first 2 missions yesterday and we Rebels won both missions pretty easily (We decided to forgo one crate each time in saving time and hoping for a "If won in X rounds, gain bonus Y".
Our IP used Inspiring Leadership while we played Gideon, Diala, Fenn and Jyn.
Our IP has played the base campaign as a rebel before while I played the base campaign as a Rebel before once (SWIA007) and twice as Imperial (SWIA008 and RL). The rest of the group played a base game campaign as Rebels.

Spoilers ahead about our session:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The missions felt easy, but we had some great rolls early on (like 4 successes on Diala's first attempt to open the door to the safe), a dodge from Han when when attacked by Boba for the first time, and a great counterattack, a great counterattack after a bad roll.
In the second mission, Han survived barely with only 1 damage left to kill him with only C3P0 and Jyn left to go, when Jyn luckily got a Bacta infusion to patch Han back up and have him survive the exploding Probe Droid that was going to happen. As we got rid of Boba quickly (with basically only Han and almost all of us saving up for 4 XP skills) and a happily surviving Han that easily killed Kayne with 4 back to back attacks (Masterstroke end of round, and start of next round).
So we were pretty lucky every now and then.

As epic as that session sounds, I'm fairly certain Han only gets one attack per round. Unless his ability is triggered by an unsuccessful attack, which doesn't sound like what happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drummond13 wrote:
As epic as that session sounds, I'm fairly certain Han only gets one attack per round. Unless his ability is triggered by an unsuccessful attack, which doesn't sound like what happened.

Masterstroke is Gideon's ability, allowing him to perform another Command immediately after the first. So, Gideon was Commanding Han Solo to perform an attack twice at the end of one round, and again at the beginning of the next round for 4 consequtive attacks, in addition to Han's one Attack action during his own activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Campagna
Canada
St-jean-sur-Richelieu
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Masterstroke in the second mission? Masterstroke cost 4xp, right? IP told us we didn't gain any xp for winning the the first mission... did he made a mistake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyann wrote:
Masterstroke in the second mission? Masterstroke cost 4xp, right? IP told us we didn't gain any xp for winning the the first mission... did he made a mistake?

Didn't the IP read the Epilogue section of the first mission?

There's a "If playing a mini campaign, resolve XX" in the end of mission events, referring you to the last few pages of the minicampaign for flavor text and special rewards.

All missions in the minicampaign give 2 XP or 3 XP, and you start with 3 XP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyann wrote:

Sounds like it. You start the game with 3XP (see pg 6) and the rewards for playing this as a mini campaign for mission one are on page 20 (Heroes get 2XP and 300 Credits, Imperial gets 1 Influence). So if you didn't spend any XP at the beginning of the campaign, you would have 5XP after mission 1.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sanchez
Spain
Manzanares el Real
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In my group being all experienced IA skirmish players I won all games as imperial, the last one with extreme ease. I think it's clearly unbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Helfrich
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wannabepudge wrote:
My experience is quite the opposite. We are playing Twin Shadows mini campaign for the first time and I have elected to control the Imperials. My enemies consist of Gideon, Biv, Fenn, and Gaarkan. We are down to the finale and other than the first mission (where I made a couple costly mistakes), I haven't had a chance on any of the other missions. The Rebels come into the very first mission with quite a few skills and beefed up weapons, and that only gets substantially worse each round. They have been so lopsided towards the rebels its maddening. We played the core campaign and most of the missions felt that each side had a chance to win. I'm willing to chalk some of the onesidedness up to inexperience on my part, but the two guys controlling the rebels are no more experience than myself. Plus I chose the Inspiring Leadership deck, which I have a hard time finding any benefit. I have only managed to wound 1 out of the 4 characters in any given mission, and the rebels have been able to either wipe me out or finish the missions with 1-2 rounds to spare. Based on the other replies I'm clearly doing something wrong.

So I have now played this campaign twice as the Imperials. My second time around had me realizing all of the fatal mistakes I had made the first time (I didn't realize you could reinforce each round). The second time through I would say the only reason I won had to do winning one of the last missions because the most experienced Rebel player had indulged in the whiskey a bit too much. And yes, I took full advantage and won the mission handily devil I also used a different Class deck, but i think Inspiring Leadership had its benefits that I didn't use at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.