GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games that went over better than expected? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: should_be_a_GeekList [+] [View All]
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awhile ago I started a thread about Games you were surprised didn't go over well. Some pretty funny stories on that topic.

Anywho... I was wondering what games have really surprised you how well they were received? Maybe because of lack of theme (or the wrong one!), too heavy, bad art, etc. I'm curious to hear your own stories and some of the successes in your gaming

Mine would have to be Twilight Struggle.

Right off the bat, the theme was completely uninteresting to my wife. The Cold War was a topic neither of us really paid much attention to. I mean.. . we were young back then. I also have played several war games in the past, and really knew that was not her bag.

After some prodding and innuendo, she caved in. I was a bit nervous about not only the complexity, but just how well it would be received.

Our first game was a little over a week ago. We have played four times since. Twice at her request. Granted, she is a bit on the competitive side, but the game was that good, and I could never in a million years expect it to instantly become one of, if not the, favorite games she's ever played. And honestly not mine either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I'll go for the obvious one:

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 went MUCH better than expected. My group is not typically into cooperative games (though we do play them fairly regularly) but the 3 that got to play this one were hooked instantly.

Pete (wasn't expecting as much enthusiasm as the game received from them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork.

To be honest, I was scared even to bring it out. My wife really doesn't like spatial games: Carcassonne, Expedition: Northwest Passage, and Keyflower are all flops because of the spatial element. So Patchwork was worrying because it is primarily spatial.

And yet, it was a huge hit. We loved the tense decision making and the surprising amount of depth in choosing pieces (or buttons). Plays quickly, provides good depth, it's really everything we want in a 1v1 game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abracada...What?

I knew it was Hanabi related in its play, but I was surprised how much I liked it and to all of the people I showed it to. Easily my family game of the year.

Quantum

Kind of was interested and SU&SD's review sold me on it. I still didn't expect just how much I and others would like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak wrote:
Patchwork.

To be honest, I was scared even to bring it out. My wife really doesn't like spatial games: Carcassonne, Expedition: Northwest Passage, and Keyflower are all flops because of the spatial element. So Patchwork was worrying because it is primarily spatial.

And yet, it was a huge hit. We loved the tense decision making and the surprising amount of depth in choosing pieces (or buttons). Plays quickly, provides good depth, it's really everything we want in a 1v1 game.

Hahaha. This is one I know she'll like but have my own huge doubts..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Sites
United States
Lake Stevens
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage went over really well with my wife. I wasn't sure she would like it because we didn't have any games with miniatures, but the way combat resolved saved the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General
Surprisingly every type of gamer in our group has enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richardson
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames

Played this with my parents and my wife's parents. They don't play any sort of games and any sort of rules are usually too much. I was just hoping to play this once or twice but we played in 9 or 10 times constantly changing teams and spymasters. My in-laws now want to buy it. It was awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleuth. I wanted to try this classic and was able to pick it up on sale. My wife and I played a game with my parents and they loved it. They are somewhat gamers, so I wasn't all that surprised. We then brought it over for Christmas and played a game with my uncle who is not a gamer and he enjoyed the first game so much that we played a second game later in the day. We have also played a game with another non gamer couple and they liked it so much they ordered a copy before we were finished with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mine was from this week. Escape Curse of the Temple. Got this at books a million for 20 bucks. Did not expect anything from this game. My goodness was I wrong. Played with my Daughter and her friends then with my gaming group. This was a wonderful surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up. Our normally on-the-heavier-side group was laughing and hollering within just a couple rounds. Definitely much better than I had feared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think anyone would really enjoy King of New York, but it was a hit and got an encore right away. I prefer more strategy-based games myself, but the people in my regular group love quirky stuff (like monsters) and especially attacking other players without remorse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owais Aziz
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt Express and Village!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Andrea
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
Camel Up. Our normally on-the-heavier-side group was laughing and hollering within just a couple rounds. Definitely much better than I had feared.

I second this, my fam tends to play longer/more strategy based games certainly with a lot less dice rolling and everyone LOVED this game on Christmas (opened it day of). It's addictive! They are already trying to figure out a way to play again with real money involved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D A
Canada
flag msg tools
Trajan

This was the first medium/heavy Euro i brought home to play with my wife. I was so afraid she wasn't going to like it or her eyes would glaze over. Luckily she loved it and wondered why i we didn't play meatier games like this more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder Road was liked by rather a lot by a group of mature gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ovaldo wrote:

+1 for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ovaldo wrote:

I've got my eye on village for 2016 purchases. How easy was it for new players to pick up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Mis
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had good luck teaching Village. I explain the basics of the various actions and just assure them that it will all make sense once they start actually playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenland went over REALLY well. I thought that the gang would like it, but I could not have expected anyone to like it this much.

Struggle of Empires with 6 players was probably the best gaming experience we have had to date. It blew me away how good it was with 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim MacKenzie
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:
Our first game was a little over a week ago. We have played four times since. Twice at her request. Granted, she is a bit on the competitive side, but the game was that good, and I could never in a million years expect it to instantly become one of, if not the, favorite games she's ever played. And honestly not mine either.

This gives me some hope that my wife will really enjoy Twilight Struggle too. We've owned it a couple of years but still haven't gotten to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have to say, One Night Ultimate Werewolf went over much better than I was expecting with my family.

I mean, I was expecting it to go over well enough. I've been bringing various games home for family get-togethers for some time now, and although the rest of the fam are not exactly 'gamers,' they do enjoy themselves with most offerings.

Nowadays, ONUW is the first game people ask for, and I'm continually surprised by how many cycles people are willing to go through in a single night. It's even gotten tot he point once or twice where my wife and I (the "real" gamers) were getting a bit sick of it! And we love this game, too!

None of this should be construed as complaining, mind you. We love the game and we love spending time with the family. It's just been surprising, that's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases

So I picked up a copy for my ma months and months ago. She never really got started. So this Christmas I sat my sister and ma down and with a wee disclaimer and, dare I say it, a heavy heart assuming it would bomb, we started case one.

4 and a half hours later each and every conceivable location was marked with wee (removable) stickers on the map, the table was littered with notes with wee arrows showing where they linked up (ala The Wire) and the 'newspaper' was read cover to cover at least thrice by each of them. Halfway through my sister ordered 'her copy'.

So yeah, better than expected. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim F
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised that Terra Mystica went over so well. We kind of jumped into the deep end with that one, having only played Pandemic and Munchkin prior.

I'm hoping that A Few Acres of Snow, Twilight Struggle, and Churchill go over better than i expect them to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FUSE

Picked up this small, 10 minute, co-op dice game not expecting much. Basically, not really expecting anything except a game we could play over lunch at work. We've now played it a couple dozen times in about 2 weeks. My co-workers love it, my wife loves it...it was a huge hit for us. Lots of chaotic fun with enough strategy to keep everyone interested.

It is really easy to teach and even non-gamers are willing to invest 10 minutes to try it out. One work friend saw us playing it, asked to join us and bought it for his family all in the space of a few days. He reported back that his family loves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.