GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: IA Rules on mission cards and when to use. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Meyer
msg tools
Just started playing Imperial Assault in the last few days. We completed the tutorial and the aftermath missions (campaign). Great game. Easy to play.

I am really confused on how the "next" mission is decided.

Below are the steps from FANTASY FLIGHTS web site for the mission stage post mission completion.

So here is my dilemma, The rebel players won the Aftermath mission. it states that I am to put the "A New Threat" mission card into play. however, it also says in the rules we are to build side missions and story mission decks. I am just not sure when we are to use which one or how the next mission is determined. I went with what the completed mission said and that was to put "A New Threat" into play, so that is the next mission we are going to do, but on the mission log it states, "side mission 1". I am confused here.

Please help me.
------------------------------------

Mission Stage
During a campaign, players choose and resolve missions during
the Mission Stage. This stage consists of the following steps:
1. Choose Mission: Rebel players refer to the campaign log to
determine their next mission. If this reads “Side Mission,”
the heroes choose one of the active Side Mission cards. If
this reads “Story Mission,” they must choose an active Story
Mission card.
2. Resolve Mission: Players resolve the chosen mission.
3. Post-Mission Cleanup: After resolving the mission, players
perform the following:
- All wounded heroes flip their hero sheets to their healthy
side. Then heroes recover all H (damage) and C (strain).
- Heroes shuffle all of their Supply cards back into the Supply
deck.
- Heroes gain 50 credits for each crate token claimed during
the mission and then discard the tokens.
- Return the Mission card corresponding to the mission that
was just resolved to the game box.
- If players just resolved the introductory mission, shuffle the
Side Mission deck. Then draw two cards and place them faceup
on the table. These are now active missions.
If players just resolved a non-agenda Side Mission, shuffle
the Side Mission deck, draw one card, and place it faceup on
the table. This card is now an active mission.
After resolving “Post-Mission Cleanup,” players proceed to the
next stage listed on the campaign log.
[/b][/b]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the text you emphasized, you should have shuffled and drawn two cards from the side mission deck after resolving Aftermath. Since it is now time for a side mission according to the campaign log, the heroes must choose which of those two side missions they want to do next. The one they do not choose remains an active mission. When it is time for a story mission (after the side mission, unless the Imperial player hits them with a forced mission), do "A New Threat".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Put into play means the mission becomes 'active', but you still play missions according to the campaign schema.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, after "Aftermath" during the campaign, you always have 1 story mission card (card back featuring the game cover) and 2 side mission cards (card back featuring a planet) "in play" or "active". But the type of mission you play is always dictated by the campaign log.

Note that agenda side missions are added to the 2 active side missions as soon as the IP purchases them.

Also note that forced missions interrupt the normal campaign flow and are played immediately when the IP purchases the corresponding agenda card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Meyer
msg tools
Thank you all for your responses. This was very helpful. Does it explain it this way anywhere in the rules as each of you did?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See Missions from the RRG (after you have read Campaign Setup).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaign Guide really should have said "put into play as an active mission" rather than just "put into play". That would have made it much clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Frikium
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following up on the campaign progression process, how does the threat level factor in listed in the campaign log? I see that in the campaign log, after each mission there is a threat level and a box next to it. Does the imperial player start with the amount of threat listed just to the right of the previous mission? What is the box for? Example; would the first side mission after 'aftermath' gain 2 additional threat?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number in the campaign log is the Threat Level. During the status phase, in the increase Threat step, Threat is increased by the Threat Level.

Threat starts at 0 during each mission, but mission setup rules can increase it (usually twice the Threat Level) to allow optional deployment.

In Aftermath you start with 0 Threat, and gain 2 more during each status phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Frikium
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
The number in the campaign log is the Threat Level. During the status phase, in the increase Threat step, Threat is increased by the Threat Level.

Threat starts at 0 during each mission, but mission setup rules can increase it (usually twice the Threat Level) to allow optional deployment.

In Aftermath you start with 0 Threat, and gain 2 more during each status phase.
Thanks, that clears up my confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.