Popular Tags: [View All]
Colonel Mustard
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My comments here may overlap many of the excellent reviews and comments posted already. However, I have not included rules, strategy or variant ideas. My attempt is to encapsulate the essence of the game and introduce it to those considering making the purchase.

Game overview...
Hive is a strategy game for two players. In the most recent third edition, the pieces are made of Bakelite. They look and feel fantastic and the game is practically indestructible. Each game piece is a hexagon shape and represents a different insect...Beetle, Spider, Ant, Grasshopper and Queen Bee. Each insect has its’ own unique move. (Much like as in chess - a Knight or Rook can only move in a specific way.) As the game plays out, players attempt to position their game pieces in such a way that their opponents’ Queen Bee is surrounded. The player who captures the Queen first, wins.

One of the more interesting aspects of this game is the fact that the play area for the game evolves and grows as the game progresses. There is no game board, per say. Rather, as players lay, connect and move their pieces on the table the “board’ takes shape.

Is it difficult to learn?
Hive is a beautifully simple game to learn. The rules are clearly written and easily understood. The only (minor) difficulty player’s encounter is remembering the specific move for each game piece/insect. However, this learning curve is small, and within one game a player understands fully how to play. Playing well, on the other hand, takes time.

How long does it take to play?
Hive has a relatively short game play. Early games of Hive are much shorter. But as players learn how to play defensively, games increase in length. (They also get more interesting too.) New players may be finished in as little at ten minutes. A game between two skilled players can take a full 30 minutes.

How much luck is involved?
Hive is a game of skill. The only luck factor is when your opponent misses a good move and leaves you an opportunity to take advantage of the situation. It has a Chess-like quality - without the possibility of your pieces being removed. But Hive is far and away simpler and less brain numbing.

Final comments...
Hive is a great two player abstract strategy game. Its’ short game time and portability are an asset. The game can be played just about anywhere from the beach or kitchen table to an airplane. It has a terrific “just one more game” quality...especially when you lose...that makes it addicting. And through experience, as players see opportunity for better defensive play, the game takes on new depth. Overall it is a great little game that will get your mind buzzing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
-
flag msg tools
Great review, much better than the rules-reviews that others post. If I'd wanna know the rules, I'll download them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMol
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree,

I'm tired of reading review that just tell us how to play the game. Especially when the rules are available to read elsewhere.

Great review that really helps me make a buying decision.

Which I did... buy hive i mean. And soooo glad i did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.