GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,341 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Warhammer: Diskwars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob question about battle abilities... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So a Passive ability on command card that refers to a specific disk triggers when i activate that type of specific disk with that card.

I thought that's the case with Battle abilities too but then i found in the FAQ this: "Deciding to use that card’s battle ability, if any, even if all of a player’s disks have been activated."

So the question is: can i trigger a Battle ability on a Command card that refers to a specific disk when i activate that specific disk wit that card
or
Can i trigger the battle ability when i have that specific disk in play but it was activated earlier by another card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can activate the ability on any disk you have on the table (assuming it satisfies the requirements, of course). It does not matter if it was, has already been or will be activated this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ballsofsteel wrote:
So a Passive ability on command card that refers to a specific disk triggers when i activate that type of specific disk with that card.

I thought that's the case with Battle abilities too but then i found in the FAQ this: "Deciding to use that card’s battle ability, if any, even if all of a player’s disks have been activated."

So the question is: can i trigger a Battle ability on a Command card that refers to a specific disk when i activate that specific disk wit that card
or
Can i trigger the battle ability when i have that specific disk in play but it was activated earlier by another card?

Any chance you can provide the specific card and specific disk you are referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I think you may be confusing a battle ability for a passive ability.

Any ability that is 'activated' will have something like 'Hero:' or 'High Elf Caster:' or 'Orc disk' at the front. These are battle abilities and can be used by disks that are already activated (and doing this does not activate them).

Any passive ability is active all the time and affects any disks that match the description from the moment you reveal it until you reveal your next card. These are things like: High elf missile disks activated with this card have their range extended, or disks activated with this card gain extra movement. These powers do not need to be activated even though they affect the disks you activate.

A few passive abilities (like the empire blessing) only affect one disk however it is never specified when you must choose which disk this is. We've always played on the assumption that you can pick which disk is affected on the fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Chuff Ape (Keyforge)
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it is well established in the rule book that you make any such choice before or after an activation, never during the activation. You cannot start to move then realize that you are going to be short and decide to use the ability. It is too late at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank You all for the quick answers.

RruinerR wrote:
Any chance you can provide the specific card and specific disk you are referring to?

Nope, i meant it in general.

Answer #1 was the most straight, i needed that to be sure.

I feared it works that way because i find that a bit too powerful, effectively you can use a disk twice a turn that way (an activation and some nasty trick).

Ronaldo wrote:
Actually, it is well established in the rule book that you make any such choice before or after an activation, never during the activation.

Actually yes, it says so. But i couldn't decide if it refers to the unit that i activated with the same card because i could play the command effect before or after i activate the unit but certainly that's because English is not my native language.

Thank you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ballsofsteel wrote:
I feared it works that way because i find that a bit too powerful, effectively you can use a disk twice a turn that way (an activation and some nasty trick).

This is one of the reasons I picked up a 2nd copy of the Core set; Multiple copies of the command cards. (that and wanting to run 2 Knights Panther)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bjørndalen
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RruinerR wrote:
This is one of the reasons I picked up a 2nd copy of the Core set; Multiple copies of the command cards. (that and wanting to run 2 Knights Panther)

I am still pondering on getting that second Core set. I find Empire in particular to be lacking options with a single Core Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RruinerR wrote:
ballsofsteel wrote:

Running two panthers is fun. Running two panthers and two silver helms, or four panthers, is more so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RruinerR wrote:
This is one of the reasons I picked up a 2nd copy of the Core set; Multiple copies of the command cards.

I understand the need for extra disks but enlighten me why do you need multiple copies of the command cards because the rulebook says:
"Players cannot have more than 1 copy of a command card (by title) in their hand of command card"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
It's so that when you're playing with friends, multiple players can have the same command card. Cards like Eager Troops are useful in many armies and only one chaos army can have intimidate without extra cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Chuff Ape (Keyforge)
mbmbmbmbmb
Velensk wrote:
It's so that when you're playing with friends, multiple players can have the same command card. Cards like Eager Troops are useful in many armies and only one chaos army can have intimidate without extra cards.

True story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I may seek a second copy then ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Chuff Ape (Keyforge)
mbmbmbmbmb
One core set is an undeniable value for how much game is inside. Once you decide that you enjoy the game, a second core set takes the game into overdrive. Further core sets have don't improve the game as much.

Two core sets allow you try all sorts of fun things. Double Dragon, double Thirster, double siege, double Troll, Panther, etc... Valensk speaks the truth and it is really comfortable to know that each player can get an Eager Troops. Also, each player keeps a set of command cards and the ones hey picked stay really secret until the game starts.

It is also fun to pick the four pieces of terrain at random from the double set. This will increase the variance and you may end up with challenging and unusual combinations. This was my preferred way before the expansions came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.