GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,086 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Ascension: Dreamscape» Forums » General

Subject: No champion cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
After watching the Dice Tower review, I was a bit disappointed about not having some more Champions to choose from. Okay, they aren't the most interesting part of the game, but I still counted on them.

Not that this expansion is a bad one, because it looks nice. But if they make every set different from each other in terms of new mechanics, then I don't see them getting combined with other sets very often. Whether or not these new sets are better or not, I'd like some continuation of older mechanics as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
I have never lost at Ascension nor Shards of Infinity.
badge
mbmbmb
0616william wrote:
I'd like some continuation of older mechanics as well.

There's nothing preventing a player from combining the Champions from Dawn of Champions with this set. In fact, each set builds off of the previous one and, as Tom noted, Dawn of Champions and Dreamscape meshes very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not the most interesting because they haven't been given enough design space. Given more capabilities, more choice for champions, and more ways to use the reputation tokens, they could become very interesting, the way the Dreamscape will be. That's one of my main concern with games such as Ascension and Magic: the Gathering : cool mechanics are not given enough design space before they are left aside.

More events, more treasures, more champions and more locations would make for a better game if they are well designed enough. As is, they are interesting but not groundbreaking enough.

Let's hope that theme packs are released for each of those cards, and are better designed than the interesting but lazy Locations pack.

You might otherwise have to design your own and incorporate them into your games. I myself designed my own expansion, with a "fixed" resource instead of Energy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Evans
United States
Beaver
PA
flag msg tools
Yes, the Champion cards are a nice idea that should have had more done with them. They could be expounded upon, but also maybe (and please don't take this too badly) balanced and playtested a bit more too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Evans
United States
Beaver
PA
flag msg tools
The specific champion cards that were used, yes: in my mind they were like a ground-level "basic champion" type of thing that would be built upon with a more diverse group later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did feel like a missed opportunity, overall. More variety, maybe having them face down, like the Dreams, would have made them more interesting. I don't have a lot of plays under my belt yet, but I really did not feel like using them actually added depth to the game. They were okay at best, and having them given to me randomly was frustrating, since Kor and Sadranis are so much better than Dhartha and Nairi.
As for the reputation tokens, well, there is a card which uses them, other than champions. It goes to show that this is a wasted design space, and that yes, it would have been possible and interesting to use them more through the center deck.

Design-wise, Dreamscape is a major improvement of these mechanics and I'm glad they did it. But I'm also sorry that they stopped making small expansions, as there was room to improve Dawn of Champions, and it seems it now won't have any chance to really shine :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
msg tools
mbmbmb
May have been nice to have the small expansions like they used to have to add additional champions like storm of souls had immortal heroes with additional events. More theme packs would be cool too.

However, I'm glad they keep changing the main expansions and give them their own identity. Keeps things from getting too complicated and unwieldy on any one set plus if there is a mechanic you don't like you can more easily avoid it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.