GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,743 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: 2-Player question...(before purchasing)... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
about 50%+ of my game playing is 2-player, with my wife...it appears that in order to play this game as a 2-player each player needs to take 2 of the 4 factions, and my wife does not tend to play games where she has to run/manage more than 1...

from the reviews and videos it appears a 2-player/2-faction game would simply not work with this game...am I right?

thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the stretch goals for the recent kickstarter was proper "one faction each" two player rules. At the moment they're being written, so we know nothing more, but they are coming.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
One of the stretch goals for the recent kickstarter was proper "one faction each" two player rules. At the moment they're being written, so we know nothing more, but they are coming.

Cheers,
Graham
sounds good...but, I think i'll wait until I see them before purchasing the game (otherwise it won't hit the table much at all)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of right now, it's simply not a good 2 player experience. Hopefully the upcoming rule set addresses that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess i'm surprised that it's taking so long for the new 2-player rules to be posted somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not very long since Sandy committed to producing them. There's design work and a lot of playtesting to be done before they are published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
I guess i'm surprised that it's taking so long for the new 2-player rules to be posted somewhere...

Originally the 2 player rules were one faction per player, and while that was more or less balanced, it wasn't fun, because whoever gained the upper hand then maintained that upper hand, and would end up steamrolling.

The reason why the game is currently best with 3+ players is because if someone does pull ahead, 2+ other players can gang up on him and stop his momentum (mechanics like the half-power rule enforce this, since they mean any 2 players should start the turn with at least as much combined power as the current leader). This gives the game an ebb and flow, where fortunes can rise and fall from round to round. Without that balance, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

The 2-factions per player alleviated this a bit, and seemed to work fairly well, but enough customers want 1-faction per player that Sandy has committed to making fun rules to support that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.