GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,111 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Opponents wanted For war-themed games in North East rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Ingram
msg tools
I've recently started board gaming and need opponents in the Northumberland and Newcastle area (I live in Morpeth) I'm interested in war-themed games such as memoir44, C&C, block games etc. Anyone up for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a very active boardgames club in Newcastle where you will find all sorts of opponents and contacts:

newcastlegamers.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have an all day session from 10am on Saturday 2nd Jan.

There are several wargamer members and I have seen all of your list played before. Tends to happen less on a Saturday evening meeting because wargames tend to be two player and take up a whole table. Certainly more scope at an all day session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Ingram
msg tools
Thanks. I plan to attend and have been in touch but I understand that wargames are rarely played. I'll make an appearance and see what I can learn or who I can meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hectoringram wrote:
Thanks. I plan to attend and have been in touch but I understand that wargames are rarely played. I'll make an appearance and see what I can learn or who I can meet.

You're right that wargames are rarely played at the club - there's no law against it! The reason is usually that people tend to play multiplayer and most wargames are 2P. Quartermaster General (not your typical wargame for sure!) has been enjoyed several times with 6 at the table, and I've seen 1812, Hell's Highway and Ogre being played amongst others.

Several club members do play wargames, if not at the club, so it's just a case of making the connection and either arranging a game at the club or at someone's home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am rather far away in Wigton, near Carlisle, and I am sure that Newcastle is a nest of wargamers, if you can just lure them out, blinking, into the sun, but I am a pretty active wargamer over to the west of you. I have a regular opponent from Carlisle and we are perhaps doing something major next weekend (8th-9th Jan). However, what is not fixed yet.

All honour to Emily Davison (only other Morpeth resident I know of).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Ingram
msg tools
Hey! Admiral Collingwood was from Morpeth
And Colonel Downing (of Downing Street fame)
And we have a bagpipe museum....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.