GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,493 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Help with Tutorial (yeah, I am that bad...) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaus Scharpf
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to read in lots of places that the tutorial is easy, but I lost so many times that it isn't funny anymore.

Mostly I seem to have dumb luck, and always end up with the Night Goblin Archer and both Giant Wolves.
Here is what mostly happens (once even in the first round).
My Waywatcher has the Night Goblin Archer as the engaged enemy, and gets wounded (claw) while doing her action (and of course she fails). So now she has two wounds. The dwarf then tries to aid (or he can exhaust an enemy), it doesn't matter.
The Waywatcher is the only one wounded.

Now the enemies have their turn:
- Waywatcher has to activate Night Goblin Archers: 4 more damage, down to 5 health.
- For one reason or another both Giant Wolves are present (in the shadows or even one engaged with the Dwarf).
- Of course they both now "Prey" the Waywatcher, who gets 6 more damage.
- GAME OVER

Am I just very unlucky?
Am I missing something?
Even when I could heal a bit I might still loose in no time.

According to the Tutorial each hero uses the lowest damage hero sheet, and each hero only activates once.
What am I missing?
And how is this easy?

Don't get me wrong: So far I LOVE the game despite this. I just don't want to do something foolish and therefore always lose.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're playing it right. I don't know why the tutorial says to use the lowest health heroes, just use the correct card for the number of heroes you're playing.

Also, the Waywatcher's attack is her weakest action, I suggest using her to aid the Ironbreaker and letting him whack one or two enemies in the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
KlausScharpf wrote:

According to the Tutorial each hero uses the lowest damage hero sheet, and each hero only activates once.

If you are only playing with 2 heroes niether of these is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Scharpf
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW: I am an idiot... I mixed up the enemies attack value with their health.
So, instead of getting hit for one damage by the Night Goblin archer I used the health value (2). Same for the Giant Wolf (3 vs 2). Of course that makes it insanely hard when the Night Goblin Archer inflicts twice...

About using the lowest health value: That's specifically mentioned for the tutorial.

I will give it another try, now that I know what went wrong.

Thanks for the prompt replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I think the tutorial assumes you are using 4 heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Duffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played through the tutorial for the first time an hour ago, used the Bright Wizard (as party leader) and Warrior Priest. Had a mix of Wolf, Rat Swarms, and Night Goblins spawned. Wolf engaged on Wizard and Rat Swarm on Priest. Initially just explored the location to try and get the 7 exploration points, lucked out and got 5 successes right off the bat with my first action from each character. I missed the part (way later) in the rules that states you get to take two actions with each character in a two player game because the rules are laid out all silly, but I feel like since the Bright Wizard's search action is a refresh action I could have just rolled a search again and possibly won the tutorial right there. Maybe it's just easy depending on party choice/luck of the roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In all honesty, I am not convinced that the tutorial is the best way to learn the game. Before playing, I read on these forums that people had issues with the tutorial versus the campaign. So, I just threw caution to the wind and went straight into the campaign. I used the way watcher and the priest.

Outcome: I learnt a lot more from that than from playing the tutorial. Admittedly, I had to take the first few turns slowly, checking the order of play for each phase (they are in the rules reference), but I found it became increasingly easy to play and the game was very engrossing.

I would recommend that players new to this game use the campaign setup from the rules reference and walk slowly through the first turns. Yes, it's lots of page turning, but it introduces all the rules and makes for a more satisfying outcome.....IMHO.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gazery Pooh

Keighley
West Yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing it correctly, for the tutorial only you are to select two characters using the lowest health valued cards and they each only activate once. This is a tutorial remember and so is only teaching you how to run through turns.

Your main problem I would say is having the waywatcher activate first. Activate the iron breaker first, use his attack action, draw the enemy off the waywatcher and hopefully roll well. Then for your waywatcher's action you could explore or possibly attack (do not engage though) if there is an enemy with just 1 health left.

Your second problem is that you seem to have poor luck, maybe you have used up your poor luck and it will improve next attempt.

Hope this helps

Gazery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I think the tutorial assumes you are using 4 heroes.

I disagree. Firstly, the diagram on page 3 shows a two-player setup. Secondly, in the Place Enemies step of the setup instructions, you shuffle six enemies together, deal one to each player, spawn two in the shadows, and return any unused enemies to the box. There will only be unused enemies if you are playing with fewer than four heroes.

It seems fairly clear (if you read the learn to play rules, and stop when you're told to stop) that for any number of heroes, we are intended to play the tutorial with the four-player versions, and only activate once each round. I played it once with two heroes and it seemed decently balanced to me. It's only meant to teach the basics of activating heroes and engaging and damaging enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KlausScharpf wrote:
BTW: I am an idiot... I mixed up the enemies attack value with their health.
So, instead of getting hit for one damage by the Night Goblin archer I used the health value (2). Same for the Giant Wolf (3 vs 2). Of course that makes it insanely hard when the Night Goblin Archer inflicts twice...

About using the lowest health value: That's specifically mentioned for the tutorial.

I will give it another try, now that I know what went wrong.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

The extra damage is what's killing you.

Set up with two champs, use lowest health, take one turn each, not two. It's just a tutorial with specific set up rules.

Should be pretty easy to beat. Take plenty of time to think through options as it is a good way to focus on useful combos. E,g. Dwarf engages enemy from way watcher, smacks it hard then way watcher kills it from range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait until you get to the first quest. I've tried 4 times and still haven't beaten it. Everything seems dependant on what dice you roll. Getting shields when you want successes, nemesis rolls constantly, etc. Perhaps I'm just unlucky, and I realise that the random nature of the dice is what drives this game, but Im finding it pretty tough. LOTR LCG seemed easy compared to this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Scharpf
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally played the tutorial correctly:
2 heroes, single activation, and using the correct damage value.
First game was a walk in the park.
Second one was easy.
Finally the tutorial felt like everyone mentioned it should.

Thanks for all your help.
I have to admit that it is all clearly spelled out in the "Learn to Play" guide, I just got mixed up with what damage to apply.

Now on to the real game... and I know that won't be a walk in the park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.