Warrior Knights» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacking with 50 troops rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Fagerström
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 50 troops with the triangle noble or the star noble (+1 victory/deal 100 extra casualties(?)). Can I assault a city with just the specialty of the noble (without drawing cards)? For example, can I try to conquer a strength 100-city with just the +1 victory point or do I need at least 100 troops?

-H.F.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, you can attack.

You have roughly a 1 in 3 chance of winning, 1 in 3 chance of doing nothing, and a 1 in 3 chance of dying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Fagerström
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Denson
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Note that you are also allowed to keep one of the two cards you drew. So you would attack with 1 fate card, plus special ability. Rulebook page 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Fagerström
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa! There's a rule we missed! 50-troop armies just became a lot more dangerous (at least for the small cities)...

-H.F.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That rule is easy to miss - my group played 6-7 times without realizing that 50-troopers get a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if the original question has been answered. I've only played WK twice, so I could be wrong. However, I think the question was whether or not a Noble with 50 troops could assault a city, "without drawing cards". I think the answer is that you can attack, but will still draw cards (2 for the Noble's "+200"). Because the Noble now has only 2 cards, he is not forced to discard both. He is allowed to keep 1 card. However, my understanding of the rules is that he doesn't have to keep either card. He could simply discard both cards at that point.

If I'm right, this could be an important distinction. If the player drawing fate cards for the defending city draws one or two "+1 Victory" cards, then the attacking Noble would suffer a partial defeat or a stalemate at best if he hadn't drawn any cards. By drawing two cards and keeping one, the attacker has a chance to draw a "+1 Victory" card which he can add to his "+1 Victory" special ability. Also, the attacker could draw a "Prevent 100 Casualties" card. This would be critical in the event that the defender drew a "Deal 100 Casualties" card. In this case, an attacker with 50 troops who hadn't drawn cards, keeping one, would be defeated before his "+1 Victory" special ability could come into play. The only reason I can see for not keeping either card would be if the attacking Noble had drawn two "Deal 100 Casualties" cards. In this case, he might not want to keep either of them if he wanted to avoid assigning a breach token. However, he would be taking a real risk of being defeated without capturing the city.

Ultimately, I'm saying that an attacking Noble with 50 troops is allowed to assault a city without keeping any cards. However, he must at least draw 2 cards. He may then decide to discard one or both of them.

Please let me know if this is incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.