9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: Best Werewolf roles and variations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marie
Australia
flag msg tools
Looking for better roles and variations than what I have at the moment, any useless roles that should be taken out??

Basic roles
Corpse - Moderator
Villager
Tanner - Wants to die
Werewolf Hunter - takes someone with them when they die
Vampire - like Werewolf but less powerful and acts alone. Wins when they are left
Seer - Sees one card per night
Werewolf - attacks people at nighttime
Minion - helps werewolves get away with attacks
Mason - know each other

Additional
Neighborhood Watch - can choose to stay awake the whole night and see all actions (only valid once)
Veteran - Kills villager who visits ie. Seer, Little Girl
Mayor - One vote counts as two
Advisor - takes over when Mayor is killed off
Little Girl - visits villagers but dies if visits a werewolf
Hero - chooses one person to protect at night, but instead of the victim dying, the Hero and the attacker both die. Applies to ALL killing classes.
Mage - chooses one person to stun for the entire night
Magician - has one potion to protect and one potion to stun
Witch - ditto and one to revive
Executioner - targets a character and if is successful in lynching becomes a tanner
Cupid - chooses two characters to become lovers but may die from bursting
Lovers - know each other and may or may not choose to burst the cupid. Will die if the other dies(?) if from both sides only wins if they are the only ones left
Wolfsbane - cannot get attacked by werewolves but can still be lynched
Lycanthrope - villager at first that turns to werewolf if attacked
Drunk - no speaking during the day only at night
Druid - revive a villager
Alpha Werewolf - can select one character to become a werewolf. Only once
Devil like a seer but in the werewolf team

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie
Australia
flag msg tools
We usualy use some of these but personally I think theres too many Magical roles ie Mage, Magician, Witch. Also the Neighborhood Watch is a little unnecessary.

I'm still not sure if Druid is supposed to be reviving each turn or just once. Werewolf Hunter and Hero is a little too similar..

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
You can start here for ideas:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_Werewolf_PBF_Role_Lis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
No offense meant, but the way you are phrasing your questions, it sounds as though you are playtesting and you want someone to give feedback on your roles.

Are you trying to develop a game? Or are you just having fun with your friends and being wacky?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie
Australia
flag msg tools
Looking to play but I've only played a few times couple of weeks ago, surprisingly fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie
Australia
flag msg tools
Was thinking of just making laminated cards if that counts haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Well, without knowing how many people are playing, if you would like some actual feedback ...

First, I think you are relying too much on non-villagers.

Now, for specifics ...

In F2F games, I rarely use the Tanner. Honestly, I only tend to throw him in when one person is getting lynched pretty consistently on day one. I know others use the Tanner more than I do, but even then - if you announce that you're including a Tanner, then what will probably end up happening is that the person the group is most likely to lynch is passed over until day two in favor of a more questionable player. And then, if the Tanner can only win by dying on day one, then why are they still playing? They've already lost. It's kinda doable if the Tanner can win at any time by dying as long as that does not end the game, but even then, are they on Team Good and screwing the rest of their team by trying to get mislynched? Or are they on team neutral?
... lots of questions that go into what can be a very complicated role with limited payoff.

Alpha Werewolf. Lots of people don't like conversion, whether it's on night one or night five. I wouldn't use this often.

The Drunk, as you have him, is really a sad role. It's meant to be a party game, but they don't get to play? I get why it can be used, but it's like the standard Hag - forcing people to not play is kinda sad. At least, IMO.

The Druid can revive villagers ... what happens if they target a non-villager? Does their power fizzle and they don't get another try? And if you can revive Team Good and not just vanillagers, then that is ridiculously overpowered.

The Seer as you have written is a _very_ powerful version of the role. Normally, it is simply "view for werewolf" with the moderator giving a yes or no sign for the answer. By being allowed to see the exact role of their target, that is _really_ powerful.

Advisor. Is this a role that is really needed in your group?

Stunning? What is stunning? The inability to talk the next day? Ugh. I already spoke to that. It's just a hurtful power and not very fun. Usually.

Devil. Huh. Okay, so, the standard variation of that is the sorcerer. And instead of viewing the other player's card, they just 'view for seer', similar to the seer's 'view for wolf' ability.

Executioner. Okay, a character that can become a tanner? Well, I already mentioned disliking the Tanner, so I'm sure not liking this doesn't come as a surprise. Is he on team good? Team neutral? Because if he's team good, he is literally sabotaging his own team for his personal win.

Cupid can burst? o.O Okay, that's a new one. I guess the only reason you would do this is if one of the lovers is evil? I hope this power is only usable at the start of the game.

Wolfsbane. Okay, this card is another crazy OP role. Literally, the only way for team that player to die is if team evil can convince team good to lynch him. If he is shiny-good in his playing, then that'll never happen. I'd only use this in very minimal circumstances, and only with a lot of wolves that have special abilities. I mean, think about it. The only way the wolves can reliably kill has just been neutralized. Kind of demoralizing in smaller games to be on team evil and realize this role is in the game.

Lycanthrope. Already mentioned conversion, but at least this person knows they might convert ahead of time. Not a favorite role, but not terrible either.

Neighborhood Watch. Well, all you're doing in that case is guaranteeing they are the night kill. Wolves wake up and see a non-wolf that is awake too, they're gonna kill 'em. Really, this role is kind of like the standard Little Girl role in that it's terrible, and most good players can't stand it.

The Veteran is kinda cool.

I like how you have changed the standard Little Girl role into something that is actually playable.

Seems like most of the rest of the roles have direct comparisons to other standard roles in one way or another.

But going back to the first point, with so many different roles, you should always remember to include a bunch of villagers. The standard formula here in our forum is 1/3 villager, 1/3 good special, 1/3 evil. And it's not because we can't handle giving everyone abilities - it's because evil needs a place to hide. When you are about to lynch someone and they say "hey, I'm the seer" and someone else goes "no, I'm the seer", well - you just limited an evil player to one of those two roles. But if you have 5 villagers (or however many) and an evil is thrown up for lynch and they say, "hey, I'm just a villager", that limits evil to one of six players. Which of the six is evil? That kind of thing. Plus, if you are a villager often, you are forced to get better at playing Werewolf. If you are always a seer or something, then you are relying on a crutch of hidden knowledge. Even if it's not a viewing role, then you know for certain that everyone else is not your role. Whereas if you're a villager then everyone else can be anything else! You have to adapt in order to survive. Heh.

Anyway, without knowing the size of your group or how you guys use some roles, it's hard to give more feedback. And this is all, obviously, one person's point of view and others will agree/disagree on different points.

TL;DR: Lots of questionable roles with some neat changes to others. But make sure you are using a good chunk of villagers in each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy Ron seems to know 'Wolf better than most publishers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls