Subject: Cthulhu Wars Game Generator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind...
mbmbmbmbmb
Made this list to figure out which expansions to play with for our games! I was a DVM backer, I realize some won't be so I'm sure you could modify this to your will!
Let me know what you think, when everything has been played with at least once, we run a tournament to see who takes home the traveling trophy!

*Edit- This has been updated to accommodate all of Onslaught 2

Cthulhu Wars

Map/Neutral G.O.O.'s and Monsters

Generator

Our group puts the faction tokens in a draw bag to see which Faction CHOOSES you. We always found this kept each game fresh and always kept you on your toes being forced to learn about the other factions.

Games are selected by rolling five different sets, Roll for the map, Roll(s) for the appropriate quantity of Neutral Great Old Ones (G.O.O.'s), Roll(s) for the Neutral Independent G.O.O.'s, Roll(s) for the Neutral Monsters, and finally Roll(s) for the Cosmic Terrors (if there are enough players)

1st roll for Map using a 1d4

1-Earth

2-Yuggoth

3- Primeval Earth

4- Dreamlands

5- Library of Celanos

6- Roll again

2nd roll for Neutral G.O.O.'s using a 1d12

1-Atlach-Nacha 2-Father Dagon 3-Ghatanothoa 4- Mother Hydra 5-Bokrug

6-Azathoth 7-Abhoth 8-Yig 9-Chaugnar Faugn

10-Neutral Spell Books of Azathoth

11-Cthugha 12-Gobogeg 13-Byatis 14-Nyogtha 15-Tulza 16-Daoloth

17-Y'GoloNac 18-Eihort 19-Gla'aki 20.Re roll

3rd roll for Neutral Monsters using a 1d20

1-Ghasts 2-Servitors of the Outer Gods 3-Leng Spiders

4-Star Vampires 5-Gugs 6-Moon Beasts 7-Dimensional Shamblers

8-Gnorris 9-Elder Things 10-Shantaks 11-Hounds of Tindalos

12-Satyrs 13-Insects from Shagaai 14-Unique High Priests

15+ Reroll

4th roll (Neutral Faction G.O.O.'s) using 1d12

1-Cthulhu 2-Shub Niggaroth 3-Ithaqua 4-The King in Yellow

5-Tsathoggua 6-Ryan Tegoth 7-Nyarlathotep 8-Ubbo Sathla

9-Yog-Sothoth 10-Azathoth 11-Hastur 12-Reroll

5th roll for Cosmic Terrors (5+players only) using a 1d4

1-Dhole 2-Color from Outer Space 3-Great Race of Yith 4-Quachil Uttaus

How Many Times do I roll for each Category?

-Maps-

Only roll for one time for the Map Selection. (unless its a re roll)

-Great Old Ones (G.O.O.'s)-

3-4 players - Roll 1 time

5-6 players - Roll 2 times

7 players – Roll 3 times

8 players - Roll 4 times

-Neutral Independent G.O.O.'s-

3 players - Roll 1 time

4-5 players - Roll 2 times

6-7 players - Roll 3 times

8 players - roll 4 times

-Neutral Monsters-

3 players - Roll 1 time

4-5 players – Roll 2 times

6-7 players – Roll 3 times

8 players - Roll 4 times

-Cosmic Terrors (5+ only)-

5-7 players - Roll 1 time

8 players - Roll 2 times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game played this evening, with Factions Opener of the Way, Great Cthulhu, and Windwalker. the generator selected Yuggoth for our map, Atlach-Nacha and Azathoth for our Neutral G.O.O.s, and Elder things, Ghasts, with Shantaks as our Neutral Monsters.

Windwalker smashed it with 37 Doom points... It was awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we've decided to do tournaments is to put a tally mark next to each monster/G.O.O/Map that has been used in a game. Then once everything has been played through at least once we initiate the tournament! Things can be played more than once of course, but I figure with Gobogeg being in the mix, everything should get selected pretty easily. Would probably take 6-8 months for a full "cycle" and for a tournament to be initiated.

Now this next year will be just "training" or getting to know the expansions naturally within our league, no real prize for winning the tournament as of yet. But once Onslaught 2 arrives (next year yay!) that's when the real fun will begin. We chipped in and purchased an extra Glow Cthulhu and plan on mounting him upon a black marble pedestal they use for trophies and have some kind of "Cthulhu Wars Reigning Champion" inscription. This will be a traveling trophy for the winner, and with the following tournament, the returning champion gets first dibs on whichever faction he prefers (he selects this before the generator is rolled), then everyone else picks randomly through the upside down faction tokens.

If the returning champion cannot make the date, he forfeits his trophy for that tournament, and returns the trophy to the group. Now trust is KEY within our group. So we've kind of kept our League "secret" as in, we invite people we think would enjoy the game. And then "vote" them in if everyone agrees they would be a trust worthy champion who would take care of our beloved trophy, and return it promptly should they lose their title or be forced to forfeit because of absence.

I don't know guys... We have big plans for Cthulhu Wars and this is only the beginning. I will update this generator again once Onslaught two arrives and we'll see how crazy this will get. Oh! And Tournament games are spawned with the generator just like normal games, with the exception that if Gobogeg is rolled, you simply re-roll until something else is selected.

I REALLY wanna hear about what other groups are doing for this amazing game! I hope some of you will share some of your group's "rituals" or styles of gameplay! Also if you're ever in Muncie, IN hit me up and we might be able to arrange a game!

Cheers fellow Cultists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob, WHERE do you live that you have such a large group and even play tournaments ???

I'd sacrifice a goat or at least a guinea pig to have a 5 player game once a month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol Muncie, IN where the only thing to do is game sometimes. There are about 12 of us that play together at different times. The progressive nature of the generator makes it interesting to see people exposed to different elements, depending on how often that person played with us. We try to do once a week. Too bad you're not closer :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy moly. I haven't even gotten my limited amount of Wave 2 on a shelf yet and people have plans to make trophies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Perez
United States
Saint George
Utah
flag msg tools
Is what a Cylon would say.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love this as an app. Hopefully going to play tomorrow and I think I'll use this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have updated the # of rolls per # of players to equal 1 less neutral per # of players. We have found that this cuts down significantly on setup time. Plus it seemed with more neutral options people were actually choosing them less often. Fewer neutrals gives a bit more value to the option, and puts pressure on people who are on the fence, being that there will always be one person who will run out of neutral options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Martín

Figueres
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked that idea, and I began working in a web-based "Cthulhu Wars randomizer".

It's far from being finished, but I would appreciate any suggestions you could made. Also, if anybody could help me with that, it would be great to have faction glyphs, and the images of the monsters/GOO shapes to add it in the page.

If you want to check it, it is available at: http:cthulhu.wehehe.eu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow man! That is really fantastic! Can't wait to see it finished with all the Neutral Monsters and everything! You are on the right path for sure! The only suggestions I may have are maybe making a checklist, or some kind of countdown to a tournament! Maybe make it where people can make a mini account to keep track (that might take a crazy amount of work) Also, I really do believe that having 1 less Neutral than the # of players is key to making the neutrals so valuable on the sidelines! When I had bigger numbers of Neutrals (I think it was 5 or 6 neutrals for just a 3 player game) not only did setup take a good deal more time, but there were just too many options for my players to consider. And as a result, no one hardly touched them! Since I cut back the numbers people now really FIGHT to get there hands on one of them! All in all, I am honored that you created the web based randomizer. It looks amazing and I can't wait to see all the neutral monsters on there, and updated glyphs and images from the game being uploaded there would be sweet as hell! Great Job!
/|\(,;,*,;,)/|\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Martín

Figueres
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is my first geek gold !!!

Thank you very much for that, and for your words Jacobzymm. It's really far from being finished right now, but I'm glad you like the idea and the approach I am taking.

This encourages me to continue working on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the club!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Martín

Figueres
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added images for the GOO and the neutral monsters.

Now it looks really better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll say! It looks really good dude!!!! Looks much more fleshed out now! Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dierks
United States
El Sobrante
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is gorgeous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wehehe wrote:

If you want to check it, it is available at: http:cthulhu.wehehe.eu

Really cool man!! Thank you for your work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls