GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,574 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Help! I stop wanting to play games....and I don't want to feel like that. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be able to play games non stop everyday (although having a family, job and other responsibilities prevented this of course). For the past several months I have zero desire to play anything. I have pulled out a couple games to play with my wife and upon opening the box decide "I don't really feel like playing a game right now". There isn't anything new that has filled the time wasting void that gaming used to provide. I don't know what has happened, does anyone else go through cycles like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Only on odd numbered years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
You're burned out. Take a break. Get into another hobby. I once sold every game I owned and took a break for five years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I cycle too. But more importantly, I don't have the enthusiasm anymore to get excited enough for both myself and girlfriend. I guess my question is this:

Would you feel the same way if she was the one pulling the game off the shelf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get this every now and again and normally lasts for a few months. Played less recently anyway because my wife's heavily pregnant and by the time we've put our daughter to bed we're tired anyway.

I just accept that I'm going through a slump and spend the evenings playing videogames, PC games, catching up on movies, music documentaries and so on.

Though to be honest I'm in a band and that takes up time and I play cricket in the summer, so it's not always a bad thing to have one fewer hobby to keep up with for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a phase, don't sweat it too much.
If it really bothers you though, maybe look at other aspects of gaming that don't necessarily involve playing.
For example
1. Look at enhancing your storage solutions
2. Look at enhancing your components
3. Read strategy guides for you favorite games
4. Research different variants and/or expansions
5. Discover new gaming partners
6. Inventory your games ready to put up on a math trade

If none of these appeal to you, just enjoy your break from gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that since having kids, I have started to cycle like this. I'll play board games for a while, then pick up a show on Netflix and stop playing games for a few weeks, then go back to board gaming, then maybe focus on a PS game for a while.

For me it is about two things:

1) No longer having the time to do everything I want to do, due to the time required to take care of the kiddos. By the time they are in bed, I've got an hour or two. Some of the longer games I like just don't fit into this time frame, and there are other things I want to do as well.

2) No longer always having the energy at the end of the day to sit down and burn my brain and problem solve. It is often much easier to just watch TV or play a video game (veg out). To find nights when both my wife and I have the energy to play something? That's rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Occasionally I'll feel this way. Sometimes I get really bad bouts of it that can last up to five minutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think sometimes, I have these moments. And it has to do with the mental expenditure. When I've had a long day of thinking with work. Or if I'm socially spent, and the idea of doing something with someone else just seems like a lot of work. Especially if I would need to teach a game.

It usually passes in a few days for me. I get renewed energy and then I want to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrayDaddy wrote:
I don't know what has happened, does anyone else go through cycles like this?

Ask your wife. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Live free or die
mbmbmbmbmb
Being an undiagnosed ADD type, I often get that way. I agree with the suggestion of rotating your hobby of the moment.

I also find that reading helps rekindle the gaming mojo again. Typically history books will lead me into the war games or sci-fi might spark an appeal to Race for the Galaxy or equivalent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I suffer by it constantly, unfortunately. That is, I guess that I don`t feel like playing games by myself, and I am too bad at getting myself to my club to get some gaming. I find myself choosing critically which games to play when I am at gatherings as well. But I know I love playing in the periods when I am really motivated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not unusual. With any hobby there's plenty of reasons to feel burned out. I mean, I haven't done the "games every week thing" in a year. I jumped in feet first and then slowed down a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexagonal Crank
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try approaching the gaming situation from a different angle. If the same old experiences aren't doing it for you anymore, try and find new ones. Start a brand new gaming group and teach some games to new players - I find that new players' enthusiasm reinvigorates me even with games I may be burned out on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Not to get too personal but how are things going otherwise? Are you enjoying games when you do get started? Have you lost interest in or no longer enjoy other things too? Speaking from personal experience, depression can be like a downward slope so gradual you aren't aware of it but be a steep climb to get out of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board gaming hasn't been all that interesting to me for the past six months or so. I have been spending more time with my other hobbies, mostly reading history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so concerned with getting my 10x10 done that once I wrapped it up I took a little break. Fallout 4 helped as has painting miniatures. It is not as extreme of a case but I am sure I will be back in the saddle soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the feeling. I guess I'll get back into it when I feel like it. Or some amazing game comes along that makes me think "I HAVE to play this".

But I have plenty of games, so I dont think thats the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wheatley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Hello
mbmbmbmbmb
The solution is simple: buy more games. It's just like having a child solves all relationship problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - I'm in the take a break camp.

There's no harm in that, but there is harm in freaking out about losing your passion.

Take a month off to start with and fill the space with something positive (family time, exercise, learning a new skill, reading, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Ludwig

Baden
Schweiz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same for one game: Go
I used quite an amount of time to study and played in a club.
I got better till I hit a wall and didn't progress anymore.
Then I moved . I don't have a club around the corner anymore and had less time to play. My game has deteriorated and I don't play a lot anymore.
Sometimes I want to want, but I don't really do. I also have that feeling that I lost a passion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
GrayDaddy wrote:
For the past several months I have zero desire to play anything. I have pulled out a couple games to play with my wife and upon opening the box decide "I don't really feel like playing a game right now". There isn't anything new that has filled the time wasting void that gaming used to provide. I don't know what has happened, does anyone else go through cycles like this?

It's not just a "game" thing. People go through cycles on just about everything. Eating right. Playing an instrument. Going for walks. ...Cycling through habits, hobbies, and desires in life is a natural thing. If you don't want to play games, don't play. When and if you ever want to play them again, do it. I don't think it's really any more complicated than that.

Life is too short to force yourself into something you don't want to do (unless it's health related).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that human beings like structure and habit, and need that to feel stable, but only up to a point. When we get into a rut, we rebel. Perhaps you need to " shake up" your playing routine, set up games in a different place in the house, join a new gaming group, or even buy new games that are radically different to yournusual tastes. A change is as good as a rest, or so they say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
I was so concerned with getting my 10x10 done that once I wrapped it up I took a little break. Fallout 4 helped as has painting miniatures. It is not as extreme of a case but I am sure I will be back in the saddle soon enough.

Gaming was much nicer when not worrying about that, not worth it imo (a 10x 10 happens pretty easy for me, I was pushing for the 15x15 for a bit). In the end I never bothered with the outstanding 2 games of RFTG. I don't understand the hype on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the input. Sounds like the cycle of a hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.