GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,267 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Ancient Terrible Things» Forums » General

Subject: Questions and comments after a few games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 5 games (2 players, with the base game and Lost Charter) and I have a couple of questions and observations.

1. How is the "scenario 2" difficult compared to scenario 1? We may be doing things wrong, but in our games, courage tokens are the most coveted by far. Scenario 2 allows to grab them more easily (single die, 5 or 6), even if the rest seems harder to get. I read several times the rule that says that you actually roll the dice for resources when you beat an encounter through desperation. It really makes courage a powerful token.

2. Is it normal that we seldom fail encounters? It happens, of course, but not too often (except some voluntary failures). Reading the rules, I thought it would be a typical lovecraftian game where some fights are nearly impossible, but in fact, we never had a game ending because there was no more TT tokens (it did come close). Suggestion for possible further expansions (I hope The Lost Charter was not the last): some epic red encounters that cannot be vanquished using courage.

3. There is one things in the expansion that I am not sure I like at this point, but I still need to play more games: new achievements. After a couple of games, I took out the ones that got swapped very often and in the end, reduced them to just the 4 basic games achievements, with another player insisting on adding the card for the set of different kind of encounters. There is one that, if we played it right, was really problematic from our perspective: the one that you take after using all your feat cards, since it seems to simply be taken by the last or second to last player. This is more of an observation than anything else. I'd be curious to see what others think.

4. The Yawning Chasm offers a very strong power, actually giving you a double turn if you have enough courage.

5. We do play with the feat cards open on the table, the encounters points hidden (we show the ones needed when taking achievements).

Great game! Can't wait to play again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Di Muro
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Alex,
I'm no gaming expert and only have as many plays as you.

1. Courage is a one off kill, and can indeed be very powerful, especially when you land on the yawning chasm. But (and I don't have the game in front of me) but I believe gold it harder to come by in the second scenario - if my memory is correct, this is a big bummer because swag gives you the biggest advantage in the game. Some of it is almost OP.

2. Not necessarily. If you tackle the encounters in increasing difficulty from location 1 upwards - then generally, yes, you can be powerful enough to defeat each monster. BUT this does not mean you will win the game. If both players are doing this, it really just becomes a bit of a luck of the draw. Have you found a consistent winner in your games or does it fluctuate? In my games, when myself (or my opponent) sees someone getting an advantage - they will take a risk and go for the hardest monster even if the odds are against them. The only other thing I can think of, is if you are playing the focus re-roll rules correctly.

3. Achievements, at least in a 2 player game, shouldn't really swap hands that much. There are only 12 encounters in total - 6 to each player - unless the map swap hands and that can throw off the balance to 7 to 5 unless it swaps back to the other player. But even so 6 to each player means with the base achievements you either get two each of the four, or you both end up competing for one or two of them.

4. Yes the yawning chasm is very powerful, have you ever tackled it on your first turn? I don't think so. You wouldn't have enough courage or focus. You might get lucky and defeat it, but it is a very high risk opener - I really only go for it if I do have enough courage to capitalise on it, or to block the opponent who might go for it on their turn. This becomes a much trickier decision if you don't have any courage, little focus and not very useful feats.

5. We currently play with feat cards open as the opponent is having a hard time grasping the game and i am teaching them. But I can see playing with them hidden would make the game much more psychological.

Overall double check the rules, make sure you are playing correctly and finally do you have a player who wins more often than not? you should. If the winning is evenly split, chances are you are not gambling enough and playing it safe so it all evens out in every players favour.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong as I've only have limited experience with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David, thanks for the reply. I am more experienced now and will make further comments:

daviddimuro wrote:

1. Courage is a one off kill, and can indeed be very powerful, especially when you land on the yawning chasm. But (and I don't have the game in front of me) but I believe gold it harder to come by in the second scenario - if my memory is correct, this is a big bummer because swag gives you the biggest advantage in the game. Some of it is almost OP.

I guess our issue with courage is more that we find it just a bit anticlimactic. Some very hard encounters require quite the powerful buildup... or just tokens. We play with a very simple variant in which each time we set new cards on the 6 locations, we put a die on the strongest creature. This one cannot be killed with courage.

daviddimuro wrote:

2. Not necessarily. If you tackle the encounters in increasing difficulty from location 1 upwards - then generally, yes, you can be powerful enough to defeat each monster. BUT this does not mean you will win the game. If both players are doing this, it really just becomes a bit of a luck of the draw. Have you found a consistent winner in your games or does it fluctuate? In my games, when myself (or my opponent) sees someone getting an advantage - they will take a risk and go for the hardest monster even if the odds are against them. The only other thing I can think of, is if you are playing the focus re-roll rules correctly.

The reason why we failed very few encounters is that we were playing a 4-player long game. In the long game, you get more time to build up your swags and fate cards, so when the red encounters come, they are easier to beat. We decided to stop playing the long game, and although we never lost because there were no TT tokens left, we lost more encounters. I think now that the sort game is more fun for us, because it's a bit harder. Also, 2-3 players is the sweet spot. With 4-5, we think the game drags a little.

daviddimuro wrote:

3. Achievements, at least in a 2 player game, shouldn't really swap hands that much. There are only 12 encounters in total - 6 to each player - unless the map swap hands and that can throw off the balance to 7 to 5 unless it swaps back to the other player. But even so 6 to each player means with the base achievements you either get two each of the four, or you both end up competing for one or two of them.

The jury is still out for me here. Note that the reason why I talked about achievements is that with Lost Charter, you get 8 different achievement cards total. We think the games are more tensed if people fight for the achievements. If everyone can follow his own path to the 4 points bonus cards, it seems a little less competitive. We now play with 5 achievements (added the different colors from Lost Charter). Not sure about this still, we might want to add more and see how it goes.

daviddimuro wrote:

4. Yes the yawning chasm is very powerful, have you ever tackled it on your first turn? I don't think so. You wouldn't have enough courage or focus. You might get lucky and defeat it, but it is a very high risk opener - I really only go for it if I do have enough courage to capitalise on it, or to block the opponent who might go for it on their turn. This becomes a much trickier decision if you don't have any courage, little focus and not very useful feats.

It seems that every game we play, the player with 2 courage tokens at the start (if there is one) goes to the Yawning Chasm on turn one. Not sure if it's an issue, but I'd say that the player character starting with 2 courage tokens is to me better than, say, the one starting with 2 fate tokens. Again, I think this player card comes with the expansion.

daviddimuro wrote:

5. We currently play with feat cards open as the opponent is having a hard time grasping the game and i am teaching them. But I can see playing with them hidden would make the game much more psychological.

We stopped playing with Feat cards open. If I have one issue with the game right now, it's the fate cards. They feel very... random. One of them can litteraly win the game (you can exchange an encounter card with another player, giving one of the same value or higher), with a swing of 8 points between two players if one can steal the achievement this way at the end of the game.
On the other hand, some are really bad. It's not a problem in itself, but the many random fate cards means - and again, it may be more true with Lost Charter - that cards that allow for dice modification are not coming up often enough. We have about 8-10 games played, and I have seen someone playing with a blue die maybe once, for example. I feel now that it's necessary for us to cull the fate deck, taking away some fate cards before a game to solve this, but having more cards to change the dice also mean that encounters are a bit easier, and we don't necessarily want that.

Maybe Lost Charter, in its desire to add cards that create trades and interactions between players, actually made the dice modifying cards too scarce within the larger packs created. I can't say fore sure because all my Lost Charter cards are all shuffled in the different decks (except achievements) and I can't make the difference between the original cards and the expansion cards anymore.

daviddimuro wrote:

Overall double check the rules, make sure you are playing correctly and finally do you have a player who wins more often than not? you should. If the winning is evenly split, chances are you are not gambling enough and playing it safe so it all evens out in every players favour.

I think we play it right, I checked often. The game is a lot of fun. You understand after a few games that the green cards and even yellow cards are all about setting up the red cards. Once they show up, the winner should be the one able to grasp a couple of them, even 3 with courage (and doing so, probably grabing some achievements), while losing a red encounter can really mean the end, unless others fail them too (and that is even more true if you end up taking a 2-3 tentacles TT token when you fail).

I'd be glad to get more opinions and experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solipsiste wrote:
It seems that every game we play, the player with 2 courage tokens at the start (if there is one) goes to the Yawning Chasm on turn one. Not sure if it's an issue, but I'd say that the player character starting with 2 courage tokens is to me better than, say, the one starting with 2 fate tokens.

I just recently acquired this game and am in the process of learning it. From reading this passage, it sounds like you are playing that each courage token defeats an encounter. From my reading of the rule book I believe that you must spend a number of tokens equal to the encounter's Ancient Secrets value in order to defeat it. Since the Desperation Phase occurs before the Encounter Phase, I'm unclear what the advantage is for the player to rush to the Yawning Chasm so quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
Solipsiste wrote:
It seems that every game we play, the player with 2 courage tokens at the start (if there is one) goes to the Yawning Chasm on turn one. Not sure if it's an issue, but I'd say that the player character starting with 2 courage tokens is to me better than, say, the one starting with 2 fate tokens.

I just recently acquired this game and am in the process of learning it. From reading this passage, it sounds like you are playing that each courage token defeats an encounter. From my reading of the rule book I believe that you must spend a number of tokens equal to the encounter's Ancient Secrets value in order to defeat it. Since the Desperation Phase occurs before the Encounter Phase, I'm unclear what the advantage is for the player to rush to the Yawning Chasm so quickly.

At the beginning of the game there are events that only require 2 tokens to be defeated. So on turn one it is quite possible for the character with 2 Courage tokens to go straight to Yawning Chasm, spend the 2 tokens on a 2 token event, and then use dice to defeat the encounter on the yawning chasm.

This sounds like a powerful move, but it may in fact be short lived. I tend to prefer to keep Courage tokens for harder encounters later in the game. I'd rather fail a 2 Courage event in the first round and use the dice to gain more tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rikboy wrote:

At the beginning of the game there are events that only require 2 tokens to be defeated. So on turn one it is quite possible for the character with 2 Courage tokens to go straight to Yawning Chasm, spend the 2 tokens on a 2 token event, and then use dice to defeat the encounter on the yawning chasm.

This sounds like a powerful move, but it may in fact be short lived. I tend to prefer to keep Courage tokens for harder encounters later in the game. I'd rather fail a 2 Courage event in the first round and use the dice to gain more tokens.

The game is won in the last round with those big juicy encounters, not the ones in the first couple of rounds. I have won this game several times by purposefully failing my initial rolls to stock up on resources and money to defeat the encounters in the last phase. I'd be happy is somebody spent their courage on 2 point encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.