Popular Tags: [View All]
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I really enjoy this game, however, we found that with 2 players 7 horses are too many for a player to realistically finish last...we tried cutting it down to 5 horses and it worked really well for us. It still allows for players to have a horse that they bet on alone, and removes the horses that we would often use to absorb an undesirable roll. it also brings a bit more tension to the game and a bit more competitiveness. Indeed, our first game allowed me to force a horse my wife bet on to finish last (however, my wife got the last laugh when her horse finished first in the third race to beat me...she bet a 2 on it, while I only placed a single bet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play pretty viciously and most often it is one or the other of us finishing last. With five horses it would be even more cutthroat. We'll have to give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh it's definitely cutthroat...another reason my wife and I like it with 5. Both of us were surprised to hear that you still have one of you finishing last with 7 horses...you must make certain that you don't share too many bets. We also use the extra rule that no horse may share the same top number on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this variant. If my wife and I ever play two player again, we'll have to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this idea for a variant. I've now play 2-player both ways (7 horses and 5 horses), and I agree that 5 seems just about right.

I wonder -- has anyone tried using, say, 6 horses for 3-player? I played 3-player once with 7 horses, and it still seemed a bit sparse. I think that the game shines with 4+ players and 7 horses, but I appreciate these ideas to make it better with fewer players.

-Darin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KentuckyKid wrote:
I wonder -- has anyone tried using, say, 6 horses for 3-player? I played 3-player once with 7 horses, and it still seemed a bit sparse. I think that the game shines with 4+ players and 7 horses, but I appreciate these ideas to make it better with fewer players.

-Darin
I think a key ingredient is NOT having the number of horses divisible by the number of players. I.E. If you have six horses with three players, the same person will go first every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes...thanks. I see why 6 would not work well. And I assume that 5 horses would be too few with 3 players. Still -- great game with any number!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls