GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,978 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Limes» Forums » Reviews

Subject: As a Solo Gamer - Limes & its Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summary
Build a Roman province of farms, lakes and forests, with watchtowers protecting against barbarian invaders…
..actually an abstract, tile- laying, worker placement, max score game.

Due to the random shuffle each game is likely to be different. Whilst not in the rules, recording a sequence could allow for replay, aiming for a higher score.

The replay-ability & longevity of this game is greatly increased in the Variations & Expansions, all of which can be mixed and matched - for differing levels of brain burn.

Soloability
As a max-score game it is solo-able out of the box. Even in PvP it plays as multiplayer-solitaire; the lead player calling the Tile to be played, with each player trying to make the optimal layout.

Components
2 Decks of 24 Tiles, using normal playing card stock. 7 Meeples per side.

Play
Draw & lay a tile, with the restrictions; each tile must be played adjacent to at least one previously place tile - and the final layout should be a 4x4 square.
Then choose whether to play a Meeple, or move a previously placed Meeple into an adjacent territory, and so changing his trade.
Note: There is no domino-type ‘territories’ must match – but if they do, non-watchtower territories increase the worker area and potentially their score.

Game-End
The game moves to scoring when 16 tiles have been placed.

Scoring in the basic game is a simple affair, with each worker scoring according to his trade. Only 1 worker is scored per territory, so no grouping all your Meeples in the biggest & best territories.

Variations
- Diagonal Placement - Tiles may be placed diagonally to those already placed.

- Ferryman - A worker in a lake may ferry workers between any 2 lakeside territories.

- One Last Card (Ein Letztes Kärtchen) - A 17th tile may be played, on top of the current layout; within the current boundaries, eg over the corners of 4 other tiles.
If a Meeple was in one of the 4 covered spaces, he returns to hand and may be played - or another moved - as normal.

- Pro Scoring (Limes for Profis) - On top of the basic scoring, each territory scores a 2nd way. (Abacusspiele have made this available in the Files Section).

Promo Expansions
- Lighthouse (Der Leuchtturm) - If Tile 24 is played, the next tile is not drawn from the deck, but the Lighthouse is played instead. A lighthouse keeper scores the adjacent lake(s).

- Starting Tiles (Startcards Set A) - A set of 6 tiles, each has 4 single territories in a different configuration. Each player takes a different Starting Tile removing the identical tile-set aspect.

- Signal Fire (Startkarten Signalfeuer) - 2 Tile expansion adding the trade ‘Scout’ who oversees other watchtowers in LOS.

- Speed Play (Bierdeckelnobelei) - Using a stripped deck of 12 Tiles (4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18 and 22) and 4 Meeples;
3 tiles are discarded blind, the remaining 9 are all turned face up. Then play to find the optimal layout within 5 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, concise overview, Scribes.

Great solo game! Made my personal 2015 Solo Top 20.

And I hadn't seen the Startkarten Signalfeuer expansion yet, so thanks for the tip. Now I've got another combo to add to the PBFs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn F
Sweden
Kungälv
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Designer of board games with a bite...
mbmbmbmbmb
Iz Nibz wrote:

- One Last Card (Ein Letztes Kärtchen) - A 17th tile may be played, but only on top of a 4 square farm

I do not know why you think it should be played on top of a 4 square farm.

This 17th card can be played anywhere, as long as it is completely on top of one or more of the other cards.

Thanks for the overview!

You can also find all the expansions on my site.

Martyn F
Winner of the International Gamers Award 2014
---------------------------------------------

www.martynf.com
www.facebook.com/OriginalMartynF
www.twitter.com/OriginalMartynF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MartynF wrote:
Iz Nibz wrote:

- One Last Card (Ein Letztes Kärtchen) - A 17th tile may be played, but only on top of a 4 square farm

I do not know why you think it should be played on top of a 4 square farm.

Martyn F

Possibly a anomaly in the wording between Base & Expansion rules.

- In the base rules you refer to areas as territories.

- In the Last Card rules
Quote:
You do not place the 17th card in the normal way, but you place it on top your landscape. It must cover exactly 4 fields and can overlap 1 or more cards. It can not protrude outside the existing landscape.

...and fields suggests farms.

Is the correct ; It can be placed anywhere in the layout, covering any territory type(s)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, perhaps it's a translation thing. I assumed "fields" meant only farm territories.

If you can place the 17th card anywhere, that definitely changes the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn F
Sweden
Kungälv
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that. I changed "fields" to "squares" to make it less ambiguous.

Thanks,
Martyn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. Erroneously playing/planning for 4 fields, was probably sub-optimal play. Will definitely try Last Card again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn F
Sweden
Kungälv
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mistake was mine!

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mo7189 wrote:
And I hadn't seen the Startkarten Signalfeuer expansion yet, so thanks for the tip. Now I've got another combo to add to the PBFs.

I've just started playing with the Signal Fire card and I think it really adds a lot of extra strategy to the game. Here's my quick review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.