United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Here is my second entry into the contest!

A day at the track

This entry is for the 2016 9 Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest!
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1491476/2016-9-card-nanogam...

A day at the track
# of Players: 2 - 4 players
Game Time: 15 to 20 min

Components:
[9 cards] - on [1] A4 letter size Double sided PDF sheet
[1] - A4 Letter size Double sided PDF sheet - Rules
[4] - d6 dice [1 Green, 1 Blue, 1 Yellow and 1 Red]
[8] - Wood cubes - [2 Green, 2 Blue, 2 Yellow and 2 Red]

Synopsis:
It's Racing Day is a Grid Movement/Dice rolling card game about horse racing. The game is made up of 9 double-sided cards that consist of different sections of the race track. Each player has his own d6 and two tokens; one to represent his/her horse and the other to represent the Jockey Boost token.

Here is the Dropbox link for the current files!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hhk8mbkn9ytzgy7/AAB9bJ5v3FZlZqKZn...

Prospective categories
Best 2 player game
Best 3 or more player Game
Best Thematic Game (Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, Dungeon Crawl, etc)
Best Artwork
Most Innovative Mechanic Category
Best written rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hook says :"I can paint for you if you need artistic help with you game"
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your turn order. And great theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up for everyone, this can be played by 1 person with you easily rolling for 2 or all players.

It's a very quick, fun easy game that I'm hoping people will check out and give some feedback.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe --

I like this game. It's a very compact way of having a track race ... and really, it can be adapted for cars or runners or even roller skaters.

The biggest "detractor" is the heavy random aspect: the movement is almost automatically determined by dice rolls. That does make the game more fun and light ... less strategy and tactics (well .. arguably there is no strategy and just tactics on when to use boosts)

Nothing particularly wrong with that; but if you have variants to add some strategic depth, it would be appreciated.

For example: rather than having players play the role of jockeys, you can have them be people betting on the outcome of the race. Each horse might have a different set of dice-roll-to-pace chart ... meaning that rolling a "6" does not automatically mean the horse moves 6 spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Joe --

I like this game. It's a very compact way of having a track race ... and really, it can be adapted for cars or runners or even roller skaters.

The biggest "detractor" is the heavy random aspect: the movement is almost automatically determined by dice rolls. That does make the game more fun and light ... less strategy and tactics (well .. arguably there is no strategy and just tactics on when to use boosts)

Nothing particularly wrong with that; but if you have variants to add some strategic depth, it would be appreciated.

For example: rather than having players play the role of jockeys, you can have them be people betting on the outcome of the race. Each horse might have a different set of dice-roll-to-pace chart ... meaning that rolling a "6" does not automatically mean the horse moves 6 spaces.

Thanks for checking out the game. I agree that it needs something and I like your idea of the movement change from the automatic roll dice/move piece! This needs more thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

Thanks for checking out the game. I agree that it needs something and I like your idea of the movement change from the automatic roll dice/move piece! This needs more thought.

Here's a suggestion:

Red Horse: "Starts fast, but if he's not ahead at a certain point in the race, he loses heart."
-- before turn 3:
----- his 1 and 2 are counted as 6
-- from turn 3 to 5:
----- if he is the lead horse, then 1 is counted as 6
----- if he is not the lead horse, then 6 is counted as 1
-- from turn 5 to end:
----- normal dice rolls

Blue Horse: "Builds up momentum, saves his strength for the end."
-- before turn 3:
----- normal dice rolls
-- from turn 3 to 5:
----- 1 is counted as 6
-- from turn 5 to end:

Yellow Horse: "Tricky, he steals the wind from close runners."
-- before turn 3:
----- if his die roll is lower than a horse who is in the same "row", exchange die results with that horse.
-- from turn 3 to 5:
----- if his die roll is lower than a horse who is in the same "row", exchange die results with that horse.
-- from turn 5 to end:
----- normal dice rolls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
kingspud wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

Here's a suggestion:

Red Horse: "Starts fast, but if he's not ahead at a certain point in the race, he loses heart."
-- before turn 3:
-- from turn 3 to 5:
----- if he is the lead horse, then 1 is counted as 6
----- if he is not the lead horse, then 6 is counted as 1
-- from turn 5 to end:
----- normal dice rolls

Blue Horse: "Builds up momentum, saves his strength for the end."
-- before turn 3:
----- normal dice rolls
-- from turn 3 to 5:
----- 1 is counted as 6
-- from turn 5 to end:

Yellow Horse: "Tricky, he steals the wind from close runners."
-- before turn 3:
-- from turn 3 to 5:
-- from turn 5 to end:
----- normal dice rolls

I like the ideas here but they do add complexity to the game. I don't have time to add these ideas before I make this contest ready but after the contest I will be looking into this.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hook says :"I can paint for you if you need artistic help with you game"
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great entry Joseph!.

I was amazed it was so easy and simple to play that I could easily play it with my 5 y.o. daughter and my gf.

Like earlier comments here, I really had to restrain myself from not adding an extra "pick-up" rule to the game. Any player behind is affected by pack pacing and may without using a token re-roll - but must then use the new result.

That said it is a really clever board and a brilliant way you capture the horse track drama with dice solving. We had a intense equal 4 space distance to the finish line in the end. I can imagine it could be less fun if you are far behind.

I loved that we each had a die. My gf and daughter rolled and moved quite slow. I would love to play this where all roll and move super quick - bam,bam,bam. But this would maybe require a full heavier cardboard board - which is no for this contest

If a player is to move last but use a re-roll and now roll lowest will he then move first?

In the rules I was not sure (could be me that is bad at reading rules) that the game was played counter-clockwise and therefore was confused by the term "third turn" (I thought third roll?) maybe track-bend or turn-card would have helped me.

Another loose fun idea to test could be that players could push their horse and roll an extra time but if they roll a 5 or 6 they miss the next turn or get some negative modifier.

Anyway it was a fun and cool little game that has a nice mechanic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for playing my game Niklas!

I was hoping someone would find the time to give this a go.

I'm glad your daughter was able to play with you, bonus!

After this contest I think I'll make a 11x17 sized board and see if you can try the fast version! This way the board will stay still and you won't have to worry about the cards flying around!

You asked, "If a player is to move last but use a re-roll and now roll lowest will he then move first?"

A: Yes, that players final roll value is what is used per the next round! If it's lowest than they move first!

You're right about the "third turn" wording, I'll have to think up something better to be less confusing. Maybe third bend or third track turn...

Did you get a chance to play using the hedges? This really add a lot to the game play! Give it a try if you can.

Thanks again for the feedback and the play test.

Another thing you can try is using a Dice Tower to roll all the dice at the same time, this speeds things up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brettspielwerkstatt
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen, Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good and simple racinggame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrainArt wrote:
Good and simple racinggame.

Thanks for playing!

I realized I could use any theme such as Daytona racing, dog racing, indy car racing but with more card choices for more turns, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls