United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Current Status - Component Ready - version 0.9

Cubecar Racing

This entry is for the 2016 9 Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest!
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1491476/2016-9-card-nanogam...

# of Players: 2-4
Game Time: 30 mins Approx

Components
9 Double Sided Cards (4 Double sided Cubecar cards, 4 Double Sided Ability Cards and 1 Doublesided Racetrack)
8 small cubes (2 Red, 2 Green, 2 Yellow and 2 Blue)
4 Small 6 sided dice
1 Double Sided Rules Sheet

Synopsis
In the Cubic World, cube men get their excitement from racing their Cubecars around the track. But it is a dirty and deadly sport and sometimes not all the cars survive to finish the race and win the coverted trophy! Players take actions to change gears and move their cars to avoid dangerous bends and hazards!

PnP Files
http://rpgnet.gavken.net/Cubecar-Racing-Card-Back.pdf
http://rpgnet.gavken.net/Cubecar-Racing-Card-Front.pdf
http://rpgnet.gavken.net/Cubecar-Racing-Rules.pdf
http://rpgnet.gavken.net/Cubecar-Racing-Card-Back-Greyscale....
http://rpgnet.gavken.net/Cubecar-Racing-Card-Front-Greyscale...

Potential Categories
Best New Designer
Best 3 or more player Game
Best Thematic Game (Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, Dungeon Crawl, etc)
Best Artwork
Most Innovative Mechanic Category
Best Greyscale Printed Game Category

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So after 6 playtests I'm worried things are too processional. The first car has won every race I've run (by myself with 4 cars). I have introduced a random element that can help a catch up mechanic to see whether this will help things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hook says :"I can paint for you if you need artistic help with you game"
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Maybe you could have all 4 cars on only 2 cars so there is more room for actions. ?

smart way you speed limit in the corners. It reminds me of an old DIY race game on graph paper.

To stir things up you could see the action cards like "worker placement". So every-time a player choose a card others cannot choose that card When 3 cards are used they are available again... just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I may not have put it in the rules but when you select a card for an action you flip it over so in theory there shouldn't be too many repeat actions. Need to check that is clear in the rules.

Things I have done to switch things up.

Added the Snipe ability to prevent someone getting too far ahead.
Added the random roll of the dice action. Again seems to have improved things.

My latest playtest had the 3rd car win and the 1st car getting eliminated. I'm much happier with the gameplay now and will test it out with my roleplaying group this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now amended the rules sheet to say that you choose an action on a card and then flip it over. It makes a real difference to the game-play as without it the game won't work

One of the things I need to do is really look at the balance of all the cars. In my experience the cars on the back sheet tend to play better than the ones on the front sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I may need to clarify. On one Cubecar there is a Major Special Move that lets you play both abilities on another card. You can choose a card that lets you play the minor special ability (which requires 3 of the same colour face up) to use. You choose all the actions here before flipping the Major Special Move card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!
I'll be play testing this during the weekend, you have some nice play mechanics here.

Also, if you want your image to be larger just add the word large at the end!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I may take some pictures of the playtesting with my roleplaying group over the weekend.

Greyscale PnP materials have been added to cut down on ink. Its important to get the right fronts and backs on cards else the mix of cards face up will be wrong. The cards on the right side of the front go with the cards on the left side on the back and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gavin,

Some questions:

1. You state: "If a Cubecar reaches a square which has a speed limiter (number) next to it, then the Cubecar must be in or below the gear indicated on the speed limiter. If the Cubecar is in a gear in excess of the speed limiter, then the Cubecar takes 1 point of damage for each level above the limiter."

So does this apply at any time you enter the square with the number next to it even if you have enough movement to go beyond the square?

2. You state in the rules, "If your Cubecar is moving 3 speeds faster than your gear level (moving 5 with gear level 2 for instance), then the car will spin off at the end of the move due to the excess speed. Move the Cubecar to the side of the square on the track. On your next turn place it back on the track on the square you come off at with your gear set to 1."

Does this apply when you enter a square that has a number next to it or just moving in general? Such as, if I have a move that equals 4 but my gear shift is in 1 then this rule would apply?

3. What are the colored cubes on the race track for? Are they just for show?

Suggestions:

1. In the statement: "Upon doing this move the gear die to the bottom right hand space on the player’s Cubecar card to indicate the ability has been used."

You should add a comma after the word "this".

2. Card Actions - Special moves.

You might want to do bullet items for Major and Minor under the special move header.

3. If you want to make sure you get a more random draw of the four cards in the beginning, you could add 1-3 on one side and 4-6 on the other at the top of the card This way when you deal out the four cards above the race track, just roll the four dice and flip each cards according to the dice roll.

4. On the cards that have a single 1 gear up or down, I would take one of the gear action off and make it either an up OR down gear by 1 but not both. That of don't have them be on the same card since every time you turn it over its the same thing for a 2 player game and these two players could just go back and forth using this card!

I'm play testing a 2 player game with the yellow and green car!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm having all kinds of fun playing your game!! This is actually a very involved game which can generate moments of AP due to having to figure out just what will happen to your car based on the gear you're in, the card you choose, each square with a number in it you enter, AND if you are moving too fast or too slow for the road!

I play a two player and a four player game and boy I had some Brain lock moments! It's amazing how much game you have in just these 9 cards! It can be like a puzzle some times since you have to look ahead on the track and see just what numbered squares you are going to pass and what card you should use to move the farthest yet take the least amount of damage!

I found initially I wasn't too concerned about the damage because I had abilities or cards that would repair the damage BUT I forgot about other drivers giving me damage and this knocked a couple cars out of the race because of it!

I think you should move the action with the 1 gear up or down onto another card so it doesn't always show up when the card is used. I was using this car a lot since there are a lot of curves that go up and down by one number!

You could actually turn this game into a DEATH RACE game with the cars having special destruction abilities and the card actions could be more offensive!

There are times that it hard to figure out who is where in a four player game because the track is so big and the card is so small! You can't really stack because it always seem that the car that moves next is always on the bottom of the stack! LOL

Question regarding the 2 player only actions on a card!

1. You don't need to term "each car you pass" since you will only be passing one car!

2. I don't understand the movement of the card! So if I'm 6 spaces behind my opponent, does that mean I can move 7 spaces?

I really like this game and can see a lot of interesting thing to add to it! I would love to see an 18 card version so you could use more cards to make a bigger track with more space for the components!

Great job and I will be playing this more so as to give more feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Formula D? The mechanics feels like those not saying that's a bad thing I like that there's interaction between cars, Formula D was very dry in that way. And took WAY too long

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Hi Gavin,

Some questions:

1. You state: "If a Cubecar reaches a square which has a speed limiter (number) next to it, then the Cubecar must be in or below the gear indicated on the speed limiter. If the Cubecar is in a gear in excess of the speed limiter, then the Cubecar takes 1 point of damage for each level above the limiter."

So does this apply at any time you enter the square with the number next to it even if you have enough movement to go beyond the square?

First of all Joseph, a big thank you for testing out the game. The answer is that yes you do take damage if you enter and pass through a square with a speed limiter on it.

kingspud wrote:

2. You state in the rules, "If your Cubecar is moving 3 speeds faster than your gear level (moving 5 with gear level 2 for instance), then the car will spin off at the end of the move due to the excess speed. Move the Cubecar to the side of the square on the track. On your next turn place it back on the track on the square you come off at with your gear set to 1."

Does this apply when you enter a square that has a number next to it or just moving in general? Such as, if I have a move that equals 4 but my gear shift is in 1 then this rule would apply?

Yes this rule applies to that. You are attempting to speed round in first gear, not a healthy thing for your car.

kingspud wrote:

3. What are the colored cubes on the race track for? Are they just for show?

They are just to make the board look pretty.

kingspud wrote:

Suggestions:
1. In the statement: "Upon doing this move the gear die to the bottom right hand space on the player’s Cubecar card to indicate the ability has been used."

You should add a comma after the word "this".

I will fix this in the next iteration of the rules along with trying to clarify the cases above.

kingspud wrote:

2. Card Actions - Special moves.

You might want to do bullet items for Major and Minor under the special move header.

This is a nice suggestion to. Will do this in the next version.

kingspud wrote:

3. If you want to make sure you get a more random draw of the four cards in the beginning, you could add 1-3 on one side and 4-6 on the other at the top of the card This way when you deal out the four cards above the race track, just roll the four dice and flip each cards according to the dice roll.

This is a neat suggestion for random setup that I will incorporate in the next version.

kingspud wrote:

4. On the cards that have a single 1 gear up or down, I would take one of the gear action off and make it either an up OR down gear by 1 but not both. That of don't have them be on the same card since every time you turn it over its the same thing for a 2 player game and these two players could just go back and forth using this card!

The problem I found was in early testing that players were often stuck without a gear option. Having this minor gear shift on the same card solved the issue and meant that players weren't constantly stuck without an action. It still matters if you are bombing along too fast, but it means the game can progress. I'll test this with a two player (I mainly was testing 4 players in my 8 games) and see if this is an issue.

I added in more damaging actions to make the game a little more dangerous and gave ways to catch up and hurt the leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:

You could actually turn this game into a DEATH RACE game with the cars having special destruction abilities and the card actions could be more offensive!

There is one car that has a destructive ability (Gaztank) but I didn't want to make it too prevalent or no one would ever finish the race.

kingspud wrote:

There are times that it hard to figure out who is where in a four player game because the track is so big and the card is so small! You can't really stack because it always seem that the car that moves next is always on the bottom of the stack! LOL

Yes I had that issue. I took to putting the new cube underneath in the end. Not sure what I can do about it really.

kingspud wrote:

Question regarding the 2 player only actions on a card!

1. You don't need to term "each car you pass" since you will only be passing one car!

This card gets used in the 3 and 4 player game. The 2 player has a +1 on it. So in a 2 player version where you were 2nd, you would move 3 spaces and 1st you would move 2. I guess I need to make this clearer in the rules. This was added as I felt that the action would be useless otherwise in a 2 player game.

kingspud wrote:

2. I don't understand the movement of the card! So if I'm 6 spaces behind my opponent, does that mean I can move 7 spaces?

As above. If you are 6 spaces behind and you are second in a 2 player, you would move 3 spaces.

kingspud wrote:

I really like this game and can see a lot of interesting thing to add to it! I would love to see an 18 card version so you could use more cards to make a bigger track with more space for the components!

It could really use a bigger track, that's for certain, but alas I had to design to the limits of the contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
Have you played Formula D? The mechanics feels like those not saying that's a bad thing I like that there's interaction between cars, Formula D was very dry in that way. And took WAY too long

Yes I played Formula D once a very long time ago. This is definitely a much more condensed version of the game with added damage and special powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished up my playtest.

Overall - I found it to be quite interesting and enjoyable. I liked having 8 different cars and two tracks to choose from, as well as 8 actions to choose from each turn.

I was solo-playing 4 players using the b&w files.

I honestly don't have anything really crucial for areas of improvement. It's been mentioned before that the board is too small and I suppose some of the cars might be imbalanced but it didn't seem too egregious.

Idea -- when you get a good feel for which cars are over/under powered, introduce an initiative number, letting the underpowered cars go earlier in the round.

I had one car get destroyed early on, but the other three held on until the last turn. As soon as the first one crossed the finish line, the next player (in third place and going too fast for the corner) used an ability to do one final damage to the car in second place right before he himself got destroyed for hitting the corner too fast. Kinda neat.

I think you have a fun little game here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I playtested several games and had results from two cars getting destroyed to all the cars finishing. There probably are cars that are more powerful than others, but in the limited playtesting I did (I played about 10 games throughout development) I didn't get a feel yet for which ones were overpowered. I feel that the side B cars are better than the side A ones, but I haven't enough data to prove that.

Good idea on the initiative. Going first is definitely a bonus as far as I can tell.

Many thanks for spending the time to playtest the game and your nice comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb