Thumb up
2 Posts

Armored Knights: Guderian Crosses the Desna 1941» Forums » Reviews

Subject: First quick 'out of the box' review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Korting
flag msg tools
This is not a thorough review of the game and Armored Knight game system, but a quick 'look-see' to give you an idea of what's in the box.

I was a bit surprised to find so little information about this game. The title has been on the market since 2013, so one would assume that it has had some table time already.

What you get is a nice and sturdy box. The art used it subtle and yet attractive. The box is sealed with some company tape at the sides of the box. This is something you hardly come across in this age of shrinkwrap.

Upon opening the box you will find a lot of cardstock.

The rulebook of 26 pages is spiral bound, which makes it easy to read or lay aside as a back up during play. Would love to see this happen more often. The actual game rules cover around 20 pages, but in the booklet you will also find some design notes and historical information.

As mentioned above, I did not play the game yet, but a quick scan of the rules seem to show that they are easy to read and follow. The number of examples of play is small, something that has been noticed before in other game titles by this company. But, the support by Chris through the net is outstanding and more often than not any questions that arise during play are quickly resolved.

You get a LOT of charts and tables!!! Chris Fasulo doesn't seem to like cramming a lot of charts and tables on one or two pages. Almost all of the charts are single-sided, and printed on some thin cardstock for durability. A good thing, and confirming the quality of components as used by Grognard Simulations.

You get three large, single-sided scenario cards which show you all of the needed set-up information. They look great, but beware, some of the information is in really small print. (or is it my aging eyes...) This means that the lighting conditions need to be optimal to make this easily readable for referencing. And in my copy of the game some of the information was almost 'falling off' the right side of the Scenario card. No information is missing, but if the cutting had been just a fraction more to the left, some of it would have. But despite this, they look really useful during play.

The map art used is nicely done and attractive to the eye. It comes in 4 separate parts, and some plexiglass might be useful here to keep them in place. Once you put some counters on the map you will notice that they 'work' nicely together.

Speaking of counters. They are matte, colorful, and the information on them is easy to read. Looking at the countersheet I was a little afraid that the punching was a bit uneven in places. But in the end this turn out only to affect one of the German counters in the top left corner of the countersheet. It turned out to be just a fraction larger than the other counters. Nothing serious, and after punching all of the counters with a sharp hobby knife the overall quality is high. Nothing flashy and/or glossy, just purpose designed and printed.

Conclusion: this looks to be another interesting Grognard Simulations title, and I look forward to playing this game.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Manson
Bouches du Rhone
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for this quick unboxing report. I am looking to this game series due to its simulation aspect. I found few files available on the web (thanks to BGG, there are some!!). I needed more informations before to jump into the games and it seems OKAY for me, now. So, why not try it?? They are sold at very correct RRP. The one I want to play fisrt is Operation Gazelle, Israel-Egypt conflict.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.