The Sinister Icy Black Hand of Death Club» Forums » General

Subject: 2016 gaming goals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Madeline C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy New Year, everyone!

Clearly the 10x10 was too lofty a challenge for many of us (too many big games). I've chatted with a few people about 2016 gaming goals for themselves or the group. Let's compile them here.

For example: Is there one big game you really want to get to get to the table this year? Perhaps something that needs to be played that hasn't come out in a while? A game you want to get played with a particular person?

Please have some fun with this. I'll list a few:

1. Record plays. Currently I have a number of games I know I've played so I have them on my list as "Date: N/A", but at the end of 2016 it would be fun to see what I played all year.

2. Finally play Arkham Horror.

3. A return to flying Artemis around and dodging the pesky black holes. It's been a long time since we've done that and I'd love to do it sometime in 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need to play Antiquity this coming year. It's been too long.

I'd also like to try and reduce my owned but I played list to 15 games (it's 25 today, but I keep adding games!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got three designs on the cooker. I want to push at least one more across the finish line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Lago Vista
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. Moar ASL.
2. Moar 2 player games (Empire of the Sun, Line of Battle series, Twilight Struggle)
3. Moar heckling of Grant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hutchins
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Roundhill wrote:
3. Moar heckling of Grant.

Second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
I move that your cat stinks and is ugly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tallgrant wrote:

Question!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You stink!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have two large game goals this year.

1: Founding Fathers. Because, seriously, y'all would love it. It's Republic of Rome in our own republic. Designed by a long-time fan of RoR it's a sensitive and smart sequel that is every bit as mean.

2: The Artifact. Likely the most insane Phil Eklund game ever published. I kickstarted this a couple years ago and have been dying to play it. It might be a good fit for this group. We'd need a lot of folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
My goals for the year are roughly:

Gaming:

* Keep playing through games I own but haven't tried yet and remove the non-keepers as needed. I did a pretty good job of this in 2015 but have a ways to go.

* Keep game buying in check. Believe it or not, I bought less in 2015 by a good margin than 2014 or 2013. For reals.

* Madeline and I are going to try and get some shorter 2p games in periodically. Sounds lovely to me.

* Get back into playing JRPGs to keep up with the Nihongo-fu so I don't forget it.

Non-gaming:

* Weight. Too much of it. Need to get rid of some.

* House. There are a few things we've been needing to do but are very good at putting off. Get some of them done.

---

Cole Wehrle wrote:

1: Founding Fathers. Because, seriously, y'all would love it. It's Republic of Rome in our own republic. Designed by a long-time fan of RoR it's a sensitive and smart sequel that is every bit as mean.

2: The Artifact. Likely the most insane Phil Eklund game ever published. I kickstarted this a couple years ago and have been dying to play it. It might be a good fit for this group. We'd need a lot of folks.

thumbsup willing to try both. The politicking in RoR is my favorite part (unless I get screwed over, in that case it's my least favorite for a few days ).

tallgrant wrote:

Hey now, no need to bring cats into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon H.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have!
badge
Ron Swanson!
mbmbmbmbmb
My goal is really just make a significant reduction in my owned and unplayed percentage now it's approximately 30%. Also I could probably get rid of about 20-30 games I have but don't really like. I'm sitting on 247 from my BGG collection count so if I reduce that by 20 that's a success I think.

Cole Wehrle wrote:

Would like to play those also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for either/both of those titles Cole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hutchins
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Cole Wehrle wrote:

In for Founding Fathers, looks like a great fit for our group.

I know nothing about The Artifact but I hear we have a few Eklund fans around so I can help fill out a player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun. Heckle the 10x10 failures. Continue the D&D campaign to epic (2E anyway) levels. Continue hosting. More elephant jokes.

How is Founding Fathers any better than RoR?

High Frontier is still on my play list. Getting to the point where the five can get missions launched and actually begin to play the game would be nice, instead of just watching explosions, crashes, stranded crew, etc.

I'm sure Arkham Horror will resurface. There's no way we'll replace it with Eldrich. Besides, we have the dice now.

Artemis is awaiting my replacement of the projector lamp, which is half the price of the lamp assembly and still not cheap. Sony being Sony has a lock on everything although someone on ebay somehow sells the lamps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVDinner wrote:
How is Founding Fathers any better than RoR?

RoR is a brilliant, seminal design, but I find FF to be a little smarter (as any good follow up should be). In general, the design tries to find more places for interesting relationships and interactions. In RoR, the game spins around military matters which often boil down to questions of who gets to lead the armies and how many armies do the get. FF dispenses with the military system and instead boils down the various challenges that face the nation to simple issue cards which the President allocates to his cabinet members or else takes on himself. While the loss of detail is regrettable, the game plays much faster and more smoothly and the various issues actually present a wider range possible outcomes and events.

That said, FF isn't a dumbed down version of RoR. The game just houses its complexity in other places. For instance, the election of the president follows a little campaign mini-game where the admission of certain states to the union can have huge ramifications. A lot of time is spent positioning your leaders for a shot at the executive.

Beyond that, just about every little system in RoR gets adjusted. The mortality system replaces the chit pull with the gradual culling of the older statesmen. The event deck is separated from the "goodies" deck, so when players draw their cards they are going to get things that are useful.

In general the various changes mitigate a lot of the game-driven chaos of RoR and replace it with player-driven chaos. So, I wouldn't say the game is better, but it has virtues.

The biggest clear advantage is probably the games barrier to entry. The rules are scant 14 pages with examples and the game is pretty easy to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Play some of my un-played games.
Bring games I want to play.
Ask to play games I bring.
Be prepared to teach games I want to play.
Whine less. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: large, pachydermic gaming goals
Don't you mean:
falafel007 wrote:
Play some of my mb games.
Bring mb games I want to play.
Ask to play mb games I bring.
Be prepared to teach mb games I want to play.
Whine less about mbs in general. mb mb mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falafel007 wrote:
Whine less. whistle

g

G-rant declares, High Frontier in February!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
falafel007 wrote:
Whine less. whistle

g

G-rant declares, High Frontier in February!

+1. With all the trinkets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.