Popular Tags: [View All]
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a waist gunner lose his suit heater. Since it states the "suit" and not a connection, I assume that he can't move to another connector. But, can he move into the Radio Room to avoid frostbite? The Radio Room has a Heater vent, but as it also has suit heater controls my assumption is that occupants must still be connected to heat.

Maybe being in the heated room will reduce the odds of frostbite and its severity?

Found this on a related post from five years ago:

T.O. No. 01-20EF-1 B-17F Airplane - Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions

Nose, Bombardier & Navigator Compartments
B - one O2 regulator, one Suit Heater Control, one compartment heat vent
N - one O2 regulator, one Suit Heater Control, one compartment heat vent

Pilot's Compartment
P - one O2 regulator, one Suit Heater Control
C - one O2 regulator, one Suit Heater Control
E - one O2 regulator, one compartment heat vent

Plus two additional O2 regulators

Bomb Bay
One O2 regulator

Radio Compartment
Three O2 regulators, three Suit Heater Controls, one compartment heat vent

Ball Turret
One O2 regulator, one Suit Heater Control

Waist Compartment
Two O2 regulators, two Suit Heater Controls

Tail Gunner's Compartment
Two O2 regulators, one Suit Heater Control

Notes:
One Suit Heater Control has connections for two suits. The Ball Turret has only one connection.

Nose and Pilot Compartment heat vents were connected to Engine #2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Leiker
United States
Friday Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strictly speaking, the only reference I can find in the rule book is section 11.0 and it states "when any crewmen's suit heat or any compartment heat is out, the B-17 may travel one more zone at the current altitude and in formation. Thereafter, the B-17 must either descend to 10k feet for warmth....or stay in formation at the current altitude and roll for frostbite once per zone for each affected crewman."

I think the intent of the game is to not allow you to find alternative heat sources.

Personally, I play that my crewmen may move to a new heater (or oxygen) location if that location has been made available by a crewman that is KIA.

All that being said you should certainly play the way you feel balances realism with your enjoyment of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
atleiker wrote:
Strictly speaking, the only reference I can find in the rule book is section 11.0 and it states "when any crewmen's suit heat or any compartment heat is out, the B-17 may travel one more zone at the current altitude and in formation. Thereafter, the B-17 must either descend to 10k feet for warmth....or stay in formation at the current altitude and roll for frostbite once per zone for each affected crewman."

I think the intent of the game is to not allow you to find alternative heat sources.

Personally, I play that my crewmen may move to a new heater (or oxygen) location if that location has been made available by a crewman that is KIA.

All that being said you should certainly play the way you feel balances realism with your enjoyment of the game.

+1 thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atleiker wrote:

This is certainly allowed in the game. A different section of the rules states that a gunner can move to another gun to man it in case of death. It follows that a heater out crew member can move to a position where there is an operable suit heater connection, with the exception of maybe the tail gunner and the ball turret gunner positions if those are what is available.

But do keep in mind that once a crew member has frostbite, he has it for the rest of the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that the "suit" heater is different than the connection in the plane. You can move to a different connection, and it is a fact that Radio Room had more connections available then crew assigned. You cannot change suits.

In the case of Oxygen, you could move to another location or take the mask off a dead crewman. Not so with the suit.

The crux of my question is that there were a few compartments that had heater vents in addition to electrical connections for the suits. How much of a differ5ence did those vents make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.