Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
127 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: BGG Secret Santa 2015 Wrap Up - Santas, Grinches, and recruiting Volunteers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy New Year, everyone!

It's time to put a bow on the 2015 BGG Secret Santa. We had nearly 3000 participants altogether this year, making it our biggest exchange to date.

In past years only about 3% of people report having problems on the receiving end. But even a small percentage turns into a significant number of individual cases when we have 3000 total participants. Thankfully we have an even greater number of people who volunteer each year to make sure no Santa participant is left behind - Secret Santa simply would not be possible without their generosity! A BIG thank you to our Replacement Santas!

If you sent your target a gift - Hooray! Good job, Santa! Hold onto all of your purchase and shipping info - these documents will absolve you of any further action in case something went wrong with the delivery.

If you received a gift from Santa - Hooray! please go thank your Santa on the Secret Santa Geeklist if you haven't already.: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/199309/2015-edition-l...

If you still haven't received a gift, or have another complaint - go to the BGG Secret Santa 2015 Complaint Form, fill in the required info and click Submit. Most Santas use tracking and delivery confirmation, so we can track down what happened with your gift. If it we see that something was sent we'll try to track it down. If your package was lost or you ended up being Grinched we'll get you a new Santa ASAP. The deadline for filling out the complaint form is January 31st, 2016. Even if you think something might be on the way, fill out the form so we can stay on top of the situation.

If you haven't sent a gift to your target - expect to hear from me soon. Folks who fail to follow through on their Santa obligations will have a number of site functions disabled. We understand that sometimes real life gets in the way of good intentions, so instructions will also be sent on how to get your account back in good standing.

If you want to volunteer as a replacement Santa - you are the best kind of awesome! The generosity of our replacement Santas is what makes this exchange work and represents the best parts of our community! Register to replace an absent Santa here: Secret Santa - Replacement Santa Sign-up (If you already signed up as a Give Only Santa at the start of the exchange, you do not need to register again using this form).

2015 has been an incredible year for gaming. Here is to an even greater 2016!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replacement Santa sign-up appears to be the wrong link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.G. Manifold
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I feel like maybe "Scrooges" should be added. Ya know those who receive a gift and leave no feedback in the GeekList?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
HG_Manifold wrote:
I feel like maybe "Scrooges" should be added. Ya know those who receive a gift and leave no feedback in the GeekList?

That is entirely voluntary - belittling people who choose not to do so is completely uncalled for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.G. Manifold
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I wasn't belittling anyone. This was my first time doing the Secret Santa and having thoroughly read the rules on the Targets Acquired thread, I was under the impression that the recipients were required to post on the geek list as the wording indicates such:

Quote:
Recipients:

- post a thank you to your Santa on the 2015 Secret Santa geeklist when you receive your gift!

Sorry if it came across in any other way, but it can be a bit of a downer knowing they got a gift but haven't responded/reacted in any way to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check their profile. they might have left a thank you note for santa there instead of the geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelly
United States
Twentynine Palms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it appropriate to contact anyone if a received gift was under the $50 recommended threshold, as per Amazon? Or do we just assume their shipping probably cost more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McPherson
United States
Ft. Belvoir
VA
flag msg tools
I'll play
badge
Vigilo Confido
mbmbmbmbmb
bkelly17 wrote:
Is it appropriate to contact anyone if a received gift was under the $50 recommended threshold, as per Amazon? Or do we just assume their shipping probably cost more?

Contact the admin if you have concerns and they will check the item price and shipping receipt sent to them by your Secret Santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
@Octavian - there seems to be a lot of contention about the whole SS process. I've brought up reddit exchanges. Maybe designing a system like theirs would help immensely.

Their system logs when the Santa logs in and acquires their target. The Santa uploads his receipts and marks the gift as shipped. The Target gets a mail saying when the Santa acquired the Target and Shipped the gifts.

This way all the "required" emails are automated, and it still allows for extra taunting.

Additionally reddit has levels, where users can spend points to be matched with more veteran givers.

Seriously. Reddit exchanges fall short on the people aspect. BGG excells at the people aspect.

I recommend trying one of theirs to see how it is done. A lot can be learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems interesting. Letting the target know when something is coming ruins the surprise factor somewhat, but OTOH, it's probably easier to check on lost shipments if they're reported immediately instead of possibly weeks later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
That seems interesting. Letting the target know when something is coming ruins the surprise factor somewhat, but OTOH, it's probably easier to check on lost shipments if they're reported immediately instead of possibly weeks later.
Agreed. Additionally the fact that your santa actually sent a gift shouldn't be a surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:
Agreed. Additionally the fact that your santa actually sent a gift shouldn't be a surprise.

So . . . you'll just get people complaining that santa didn't upload it to the website. Don't see how that changes anything . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:

So . . . you'll just get people complaining that santa didn't upload it to the website. Don't see how that changes anything . . .

Not a problem. Current rules state that santa MUST provide the proof by sending it to the email. If they aren't uploading proof now it is still a rules violation. No rules change required, all it does is notify the target that there was an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:

Additionally reddit has levels, where users can spend points to be matched with more veteran givers.

I like the idea of being able to buy into a higher tier.
I quit doing secret santa because the experience was very flat and felt more like a "gambler's math trade".

I personally tried to go the extra mile by including items that the user expressed interest in outside of games as well as regional items from my hometown to give hints as to my identity.

If the tone of the event is improved, I would definitely love to get in again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yog-eggnog-sothoth
Christmas Island
Dunwich
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the possibility. Sign up as replacement. It is a really rewarding experience... I have done it every year since I was stood up in 2010 and had an absolutely insanely kind replacement santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:

Genuinely couldn't think of anything worse than 'Gift brackets'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mangoose wrote:
Bagherra wrote:

Genuinely couldn't think of anything worse than 'Gift brackets'
Not gift brackets, just a way to ensure that you would be matched with a veteran of the exchange. That way you can have a greater level of faith in your santa and in your target. Your target would be more likely to have a completed wishlist and letter.

On reddit this is 3 credits, which means they have had to successfully complete at least 3 exchanges.

Anyway, that is all meaningless. What really should be brought over from reddit is the system and automation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:

Not a problem. Current rules state that santa MUST provide the proof by sending it to the email. If they aren't uploading proof now it is still a rules violation. No rules change required, all it does is notify the target that there was an action.

does nothing. you can upload it whenever you want. the people diligently uploading it aren't the ones you're worried about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:

does nothing. you can upload it whenever you want. the people diligently uploading it aren't the ones you're worried about.

Again. It changes nothing. The same goes for the current system. But it would still give an email to the target, in case they were worried.

Yes, it won't help 100% of the people, but it will at least help some. Which is LOADS better than the current system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:

Again. It changes nothing. The same goes for the current system. But it would still give an email to the target, in case they were worried.

Yes, it won't help 100% of the people, but it will at least help some. Which is LOADS better than the current system.

I doubt there's a lot of people who submit something in a timely manner after sending who aren't also communicating with the target.

So, it might help some small number. But would require a bunch of work. I have better ideas for things to fix first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't argue that the system couldn't be improved. But right now we're talking about a situation that hits maybe 100 people total out of 3000 participants (on a site with hundreds of thousands of active users) once during the year. I can't justify spending limited developer time on that when we already have a system in place that works effectively at addressing it.

If it becomes a bigger issue at some point down the line then we will adjust accordingly, but I don't believe we are there currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is more than one exchange per year, just one BGG secret santa. Now with RPG and VGG there are at least 3 large scale exchanges, plus the various guild exchanges, then there are all the other minor ones throughout the year.

It would ease all these exchanges (and could be used for trades too). Additionally, if it makes it easier to administrate there can be a mid year exchange.

Like I said before, it may be possible to reach out to reddit and use their system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
check their profile. they might have left a thank you note for santa there instead of the geeklist.

The problem with the Geeklist is that it is really LONG! I don't have the time to scan through it to see if my recipient posted something there.

I thought (hoped?) most everyone used their profile page to talk to their Santa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Normiyagi wrote:

The problem with the Geeklist is that it is really LONG! I don't have the time to scan through it to see if my recipient posted something there.

I thought (hoped?) most everyone used their profile page to talk to their Santa!

You can go to your recipient's profile and click on the "contributions" tab, and then check if they have a listing under "Geeklist Items." If they added a listing to the "2015 Edition of Look What Santa...", then you'll find it there. Saves a lot of time over scanning through every single item in that geek list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.