BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Help in starting my game collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] Wife [+] recommendations [+] [View All]
Brent Linkletter
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I am interested in picking up a few games to play. I do not have any games (or atleast any good ones), and there are tons of games out there. These are the three categories of games I am looking for:

1) Games to play with my wife. not overly difficult, fun, and not too long. Good 2 player games.

2) Games to play with my kids(ages 3&5)

3) Games to play with between 4-7 players(or any number in this range). Not too long or challenging, and fun is the primary factor.

Or any games that are a combination of these categories. Also, I think that I would enjoy more "geeky" games, but nobody would play them with me (like battlelore and doom). Maybe a compromise? Here are some games that sounded good to me.

1) Settlers of Catan: sounds fun. Too bad you need expansion for 6
2) Ticket to Ride: another fun sounding one
3) Cavetroll: geeky for me, but mechanics sound simple
4) Citadels: sounds fun and simple for lots of people
5) Bang: another fun sounding card game for whole family
6) Incan Gold: heard that young kids can play this one

Do any of these fit the bill? I would appreciate any other suggestions I could receive for starting my game collection.

Thanks,
Brent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Okasaki
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For kids ages 3 and 5, I would recommend Max and Gulo Gulo. As the 3yo gets a bit more experience, I would add

- Jenga
- Mancala
- Cartagena (with 4/5 tiles and 4/5 pawns)
- Diamant (instead of Incan Gold)
- Tumblin Dice (but a bit expensive)
- Easy Come, Easy Go (3yo will need help adding)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john davidson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a starter .........
Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers might be a good general fit.
It is pleasing on the eye and the mechanics are simple yet like most good games there is a thread of strategy for those who want to play it that way.
My children (girls aged 5 & 7) like it .
I'm struggling to suggest a game for the 3 year old.
It plays 2-6 players and works well with 2.
Unlike the main Carcassonne game it doesn't need the expansions to make it really work well and the theme seems to have a more generic appeal.

For a bigger group 4-7 I'd play Struggle of Empires but it might be a bit much for a new group. Check out the reviews and session reports.

I'm afraid haven't played any of the games you listed but I'm guessing loads of folks have so you should get some suggestions.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good game that can easily hold 3-10 players that is easy to teach and learn is Saboteur. It is a game that you could even teach to kids and teenagers. And most of all it is a lot of fun!

Settlers of Catan - An okay game. Really draggy sometimes. Too much luck and rules are semi-complex for kids.

Ticket to ride - A wonderful family game but it is for up to 5 players only.

Citadels - An okay game but is very chaotic. For most of the game, you will be going on auto-pilot. Not recommended for kids below 12.

Cavetrolls - Avoid this at all cost.

Other family games :

1) Niagara - Pretty bits and simple game play. Spiel De Jahres (Game of the year) winner. 3-5 players (6 with expansion).

2) Power Grid - An easy to learn but hard to win at game. Almost no luck factor (random power plant cards is the only random factor in this game). 2-6 players.

3) Carcassonne - A fun, light tile laying game. Almost like a jigsaw puzzle game. 2-5 players (up to 6 players with cathedrals & inns expansion)

4) Heroscape - Fancy a showdown between a group of ninjas and cyborgs soldiers? Or maybe a T-Rex versus a bunch of dwarfs with pickaxes? If yes, this is the game for you. Kids adore this. Moms around the world conspires to get this 'trash' off Walmart shelves...

5) 6 nimmt - A light and simple filler game for 3-10 players. A bit chaotic and random but still more fun than citadels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrentLink wrote:
1) Settlers of Catan: sounds fun. Too bad you need expansion for 6

Great game and highly recommended, but not really good for more than 4 anyhow IMO.

There are lots of lists recommending good "play with your wife" games.

Get a copy of Bohnanza and a copy of Coloretto. You will make lots of people happy without spending too much money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Neff
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Lost Cities (one of the few my wife enjoys for 2)

2. No kids here, but look into Hey That's My Fish.

3. Bang. No question.

Best part is you can pick up all 3 games for less than $50 from an online retailer. (Thoughthammer runs $46.17 including shipping)

Good luck, and have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent,

You've registered about a year ago, what games did you play and liked? This would give you a start for your collection. I started my collection a bit over a year ago with:

- Carcassonne, my older kids (6-8 YO at the time) liked and with the first expansion can bring it to a 6 player game. However, Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers (which I haven't played) seems like a good option as well.

- Ticket to Ride, this is my wife's favorite game, and we played it 2-players a lot of times. We liked Ballon cup and Lost Cities for 2 players. Currently though, BattleLore is taking up all the available time for 2 players game.

For young kids, I haven't found a lot of games that would be enjoyable for adults as well as 3-5 YO kids. Carcassonne can fit the bill with the 5 YO, but (s)he must have a good attitude, if he doesn't win.

Another suggestion for the 4-7 crowd : Pitch Car (Carabande), which was a HUGE success at our 2005 Christmas vacations. This is one that the 5 YO can play as well. Our then 1.5 YO son loved to play with us, in his own way (see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/108774).

EDIT: Hey! that's my fish has been a success as well, easy to play and with some training the 5 YO can play. (the 3YO also, but only play with the wooden pinguins! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels fits the bill for two of your criteria (wife and 4-7).
Ticket to Ride is a great game which I think your kids could play in couple years, it can be played with 2-5.
Catan is basically a 3-4, but a great adult game (because it involves negotiation).

All three of these would be a great start to a collection. In addition I also recommend Saboteur, as it can play 3-10 (!) and would be easy enough for children to pick up (7yo+ perhaps?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just picked up Gulo Gulo and it has been a hit with my family (2yo, 4yo, 6yo). In addition, we play Hey, That's My Fish! regularly as well.

For a great 2p game check out Mr. Jack. It can be hard to find in the US, but online retailers in Canada can ship it relatively cheeply. Another import we like is Kupferkessel Co.. Another 2p game that is "chess-like" is Hive. This is a great little game.

For some titles that may be easier to find, you can't go wrong with Ingenious and Through the Desert. These play great with 2 but also scale well with 3 or 4.

Good luck.

Bob

edit: some grammer fixes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert

Don't forget about TTD! It plays well with 2, scales up to 5 players well, is simple enough for kids to understand but provides a good bit of strategy for adults. Ticket to Ride is also a good choice... you've got plenty of good suggestions here, except for cavetroll. I didn't like it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Brent,

For good two player games for you and your wife I would check out:
Lost Cities Lost Cities seems to be the quintessential "play with the wife" game.
I would also recommend:
Carolus Magnus this one isn't necessarily a "quick" game. But it is very easy to learn, and has really interesting choices. Check out my review at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/144247.
Ta Yü is a beautiful tile laying game for two. Kind of an abstract, it has really beautiful components. This has never failed to impress anyone I have played with, SOs included. Check out my review for this one at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/144378.

For a little bit larger group of non-gamers I would not suggest Carcassone. Large groups tend to not like this one, in my experience. This is much more of a two player game.
I can recommend:
River Dragons, this is a great game for up to 6 players, and actually is only really good with that many. I haven't found any game to beat the six player experience in this one. Check out my review at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/144300.
You might also want to check out Mall of Horror. Mall of Horror also goes up to six, and it is rather easy to learn, and has some interesting player interactions.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ritter
United States
Westfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lost cities is a good two player as is carcassonne

ticket to ride (any of them) are good for 3 or more - they are listed for 2-5, but i find the 2 player version to be more of a 'race' with little strategy - it's not bad with 2, but 3 or more players is much better. saboteur is also very good for 3 or more.

for little kids, you may want to look into Loopin Louie - very fun - i think this is rated 4+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Possible games to play with your wife:

Lost Cities
Balloon Cup
10 Days in Africa
Odin's Ravens
Roma
Aton
Atlas & Zeus
Attika
Wyatt Earp
Mystery Rummy
(any)
Drive

2) Possible games to play with your kids (a couple of 'em might be a little too much for your 3-year old):

Zig-Zag
Diamant, aka Incan Gold (also accomodates up to 8 players)
Hey! That's My Fish (might be good with your wife as well)
Tsuro (also accomodates up to 8-players)
Loot (also accomodates up to 8 players)

3) Possible games for 4+ players:

Elfenland
Ticket to Ride
For Sale
Alhambra
Shadows Over Camelot
Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers
Bohnanza
Ruse & Bruise
Nottingham
Citadels
Bang!
Havoc: The Hundred Years War
Iliad
Coloretto
The Great Dalmuti
Frank's Zoo
Wizard
To Court The King

Category 5, aka 6 Nimmt!

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DeLarme Landes
United States
Doylestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BrentLink wrote:
Also, I think that I would enjoy more "geeky" games, but nobody would play them with me (like battlelore and doom).

Same here! My wife and I have a couple of friends who like to play games, but it's generally limited to things like Scrabble or party-ish games like Cranium or Wise & Otherwise (the latter of which I really like, incidentally).

My wife and I have been playing 2-player TtR: Europe for a while now, and I recently introduced it to our gaming friends. They enjoyed it enough to ask for it again, and I'm hoping it can be a gateway to more substantial fare.

Nice thread, and thanks to all for your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Lim
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good family game that plays well with friends and children is Winner's Circle! Take a look at this one too. Good 2-player games you can play with your wife could be Fjords and Carcassonne: the City.

Cheers,
Gabriel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For games that you can play with larger groups, I recommend Antike (up to six players) and RoboRally (up to 8 players). Both are a lot of fun and are not too complex for non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Udral
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Games to play with my wife. not overly difficult, fun, and not too long. Good 2 player games.

These would be good starters:
- carcassonne
- san juan
- through the desert
- battle line
- jambo
- attika

After a few of these, maybe move on to something heavier:
- Goa
- Tigris and Euphrates
- Samurai
- Caylus

Quote:
2) Games to play with my kids(ages 3&5)

- Cranium Cariboo is loved by my 2 year old. It won't be fun for you though.
- Gulo Gulo gets good ratings, I don't know if a 3 year old can handle it

Quote:
3) Games to play with between 4-7 players(or any number in this range). Not too long or challenging, and fun is the primary factor.

These are good family games. Not much heavier than Monopoly or Clue, and a lot more fun. A lot of these are called filler here.

- settlers of catan
- ticket to ride
- bohnanza
- ra
- mamma mia
- for sale
- citadels, maybe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Shelton
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know all of these have been suggested before, but if you are counting votes...

Lost Cities & Carcassonne are a MUST to play with your wife. I believe there is something tied to having two X chromosomes that makes people like these two games.

Ticke to Ride and Blokus are both great (and easy) games to play with a family. Anybody can play these games and I have yet to find even a non-gamer type who doesn't like them.

Bang, Saboteur, Werewolf, Wise & Otherwise, Wits & Wagers are all good larger group games that are easy to play.

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Linkletter
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Thankyou everyone for all of the good suggestions. I liked that fact that a few games appeared on most of your lists. I'll have to check those out first. One person asked me what games I have picked up so far. Actually, I did register on this site a while ago(don't remember when), but I haven't purchased any games yet. I got sort of overwhelmed by all of the games here. I didn't even know there were so many games(smilie face would go here if I could figure out how to do it, hehe). Me and my wife played stratego and cribbage last year probably about 4 times combined. But my 5 year old is always after me to play crazy eight, war, go fish, those kind of games. She really loves to play games with me, and I'm "go fished" out. Probably if we had a few good games we all would play more. Thanks again for all of the gaming tips.

Brent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.