Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at Stonehenge: An Anthology Board Game, as the concept was interresting, 4 games in one box. However, it raise a question on the rating? What part of the game am I going to rate?

Currently we only have 1 rating for a game, which made sense more or less until now. But starting with Stonehenge, there may be a few other games like that that will contain more than one ruleset. Should the game have 4 entries (one for each ruleset) or 4 different ratings? Should we have played all 4 before giving the best rating possible?

The same can be applied to other games, Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie has 2 rulesets, the basic (almost never used) or the advanced.

I recently acquired Castle Lords that contains 3 variants, one for kids, teens and adults. Depending on what ruleset we are playing the rating could change.

This would obviously affect the total rating for a game.

What does the BGG community think, should Aldie revisit the rating to allow multiple rating? How do we identify which games should have more than 1 rating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. And what about "games" like

"Das Spiel"

by R.Wittig, a game set with rules for about 60 games and the invitation to invent more and more?

Or "A Gamut of Games"

by S. Sackson, a book with rules for 38 games?

IMO, these items should be rated as a whole, so, if one rates this, he has to adjust the rating "mechanic" a bit and check the average of what`s inside plus the original idea to put these games together.
If it`s a plus, that there are more than just one game, maybe it`s a minus, that only one or two of them are really good in the opinion of the one who rates ...

In the case of Stonehenge, the designers decided to put their ideas in in a single box and sell it that way, so you have to buy them as a unit. You should then rate the unit. Interested people can get information here in the forum threads and personal comments about the different games and think about buying it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Hall
United States
Springville
UT
flag msg tools
It sounds like we have quite a problem here. I guess one of the biggest questions are 'What is the purpose of the game rating?' and 'What do people use the rating for?' I think we all look at the rating and take it into account to see which games we want to look into more.

When I rate a game, I think of how often this game will be taken off the shelf to be played and how fun was it when I played it. Should we give a deck of playing cards a rank of 1 just because you 'can' play meaningless games like war?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been pointed out, Stonehenge won't create this "problem", as it has already existed in numerous cases (Ludoviel, Neue Spiele im alten Rom/Rome: Imperium, Circus Maximus, Hannibal vs Rome, Mü & More, Allerley Spielerey).

Many other games have two or more often dramatically different ways to play, whether different "modes" (Fische Fluppen Frikadellen) or "official" variants (Igel Ärgern).

My personal practice, and what I've observed seems to be the most common practice is to essentially give a rating for the best game of the set, possibly with a further "bump" if several are close or other gestalt qualities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see ratings by player number, and more filters to search the game database with. This would mean there would be no universal TOTP "top 10", as it were, but buyers would find niche games more easily.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Just rate it as a complete package. Easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Reiner Knizia's Rome: Imperium, Circus Maximus, Hannibal vs Rome from GMT... it has three completely different games in one package.

I rated them on the whole, giving the title an 'average' rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rating indicates how much you want to pull out the box and play I agree with Matthew -- rate the best one in the set as that is what you'll likely play. No reason to drag down a rating (by using an average) if the game set includes a game you don't like and won't touch -- as the better game is always included and anyone buying it will get to play that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lang
Denmark
Sjælland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rate the package and not just a single game. One game may be good and the rest crap, which would create an "unfair" overall rating.

Anyway, this can be solved by writing reviews where each game is rated on its own, and an overall "package rating" is also given wherein you explain your overall "user rating".

chall52 wrote:
Should we give a deck of playing cards a rank of 1 just because you 'can' play meaningless games like war?

This doesn't really make sense, because a deck of playing card is not a game unless you add some rules.
[It is the rules that make the game, not the colour of the playing pieces, the size of the board, or .... ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lang
Denmark
Sjælland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: I meant to add the quote to my former post (which should be done now), but created a new one instead. Sorry about that. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.