Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
91 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP - Contest Ready] "Iron & Brass - Duel" - 2016 9 Card Nanogame Contest Entry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A submission to:
The 2016 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest!

Game Summary: 2 player World War I looking* skirmish game. Each round is a 3 vs 3 infantry encounter. Each player has a choice of 12 soldiers/actions per turn.

* = WWI looking (but actually steampunk, trust me) theme, based on another game of mine, Iron & Brass. There is also a mech warrior theme/skin in the works, called "NanoMech9".

Game Logo:

All cards and needed components:

Gameplay Layout: 3 cards per player, plus health indicator card

Descriptions of Components:
9 cards:
1 shared health indicator card
6 (3 cards per player) with 12 soldiers/actions (4 per card)
2 (1 card per player)cover card (to cover back of player's hand since all cards are double sided)

4 D6

6 red cubes for Health indicators
1 gold cube for Goal indicator
1 blue cube for First Player indicator
(cubes can be any color, but these colors are suggested)

Approximate Playing Time:
15-30 minutes

Categories
Wargame
2 player
Written Rules
Artwork

Game Files
Latest draft of rules, plus card pdf files, can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4GOwLLS7SEbZTNlZ2FVYU5vN0...

Latest cards:

Some Details:
Each player will have 6 soldiers - 1 on each side of the 3 cards. These soldiers are labeled A, B, C, D, E, and F for clarity. Each soldier (card face) is also named alphabetically to give it more of a human touch.

Each soldier card has 2 actions per side, for a total of 12 actions per player.

All battle resolutions are:
1) Determine # of dice to roll: Attacker's dice +/- Defender's modifiers
2)Roll the determined number of dice, 1 or more "6" = opponent card side (not the entire card) is defeated. So, in effect, the game will play as if each player has 6 1-sided soldier cards, but in reality, each will have 3 2-sided soldier cards. Hope that makes sense.

Number of dice to roll determined by:
Your soldier action, position relative to opponent, opponent's defense modifier.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP - Idea Phase] Patrol Clash - 2016 9 Card Nanogame Contest Entry
Yeah, a war game is in the contest!

Subscribed and looking forward to playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I'm not a serious wargamer, so as of now, the historical accuracy of this game probably won't be there.

My plan is to make it a good game first, then I'll add in some historical accuracy later. So, right now, it is identical units against each other.

Stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Thanks.

I'm not a serious wargamer, so as of now, the historical accuracy of this game probably won't be there.

My plan is to make it a good game first, then I'll add in some historical accuracy later. So, right now, it is identical units against each other.

Stay tuned.

I'll put it in the entry under Idea Phase.
Looking good so far. Let us know when the files are ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP - Idea Phase] Infantry Clash - 2016 9 Card Nanogame Contest Entry
I added very rough, first draft rules in the original post. In them, I added two more components, just cubes: one to keep track of the first player in the round, and one to act as the "goal" or the "flag" (capture the flag style). In playtests, the game works, but it's just a "kill the other guy" game. Adding the goal puts one side on offense and one side on defense, so should focus the game a bit more, rather than just a random skirmish.

Still a long way to go to finish this up, but I think it will be a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP - Idea Phase] Infantry Clash - 2016 9 Card Nanogame Contest Entry
Making minor tweaks to the game. Real happy with this one so far. But...

Not nuts about the name "Infantry Clash". It's descriptive, I guess, but kinda blah.

Any name suggestions for a simple, 15 minute, 9 card, WWII infantry / tactical level wargame.

Two other games I designed are called "Talons & Teeth" and "Iron & Brass", so I was thinking maybe another "&" name:

Carbines & Grenades

Garands & Grenades

Garands & Handgranates

Riflemen & Obergrenadiers

Garands & Mausers

Please throw out a few ideas if you are in a creative mood.

Thanks.

(Re-skinned the game to my Iron & Brass theme, so no more worrying about a cool WWII name)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Paardekooper
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP - Components Ready] Infantry Clash - 2016 9 Card Nanogame Contest Entry
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
"Axis & Allies" maybe? Or "Allies and Axis"?
Maybe rename the Edwards character to Eagle, and name it "Eagles & Adlers"?

Looks interesting!

I do not really understand some of your rules:
Quote:
+1 +1 +1
The black numbers on the right are the Defense Modifiers, the number of dice the attacking player adds to his roll when attacking this unit from the left, center, or right.
Does the attacking player get one extra die to attack this unit if attacking form left, center or right?

Quote:
Each round, each player selects 3 soldiers/actions from their available 12 actions and holds them behind their guideline card to prevent the other player from seeing the backs of their cards.
When selecting which card to play, you may need to rearrange your cards a bit, which might allow the other player to see which card you did not pick (the back side), even though you try to block the view with the cover card am I correct?

Quote:
Place the red cube between the two letters of the card (A&D for example).
Ah smart, thumbsup I was already wondering about how the 6 health cubes could track the health of both players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP - Components Ready] Infantry Clash - 2016 9 Card Nanogame Contest Entry
namrevo wrote:
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
"Axis & Allies" maybe? Or "Allies and Axis"?
Maybe rename the Edwards character to Eagle, and name it "Eagles & Adlers"?

Looks interesting!

Thanks. I think Axis & Allies is taken. Although "Eagles & Adlers" sounds good, Eagle isn't really a common English/American name. But, you got me thinking. Thanks.

namrevo wrote:
I do not really understand some of your rules:
Quote:
+1 +1 +1
The black numbers on the right are the Defense Modifiers, the number of dice the attacking player adds to his roll when attacking this unit from the left, center, or right.
Does the attacking player get one extra die to attack this unit if attacking form left, center or right?

Yes. Thematically, I'm thinking to throw a grenade accurately, a soldier might expose themselves, therefore, an attacker will have a better chance to get you, so they get 1 more die. But just game balance-wise, the Attacking of a grenade is "+3", so to weaken that piece a bit, I weakened its Defense.

Another action in the game, just as an example, is "Take Cover" which has defensive modifiers of: -3 -2 -3. So, in that case the Attacker's dice are reduced by 2 or 3.

namrevo wrote:
Quote:
Each round, each player selects 3 soldiers/actions from their available 12 actions and holds them behind their guideline card to prevent the other player from seeing the backs of their cards.
When selecting which card to play, you may need to rearrange your cards a bit, which might allow the other player to see which card you did not pick (the back side), even though you try to block the view with the cover card am I correct?

Correct. May need to have players choose their cards to play under the table or something. In reality, as you are choosing your cards, I will be choosing my cards to play, so hopefully it won't be too big of a problem.

namrevo wrote:
Quote:
Place the red cube between the two letters of the card (A&D for example).
Ah smart, thumbsup I was already wondering about how the 6 health cubes could track the health of both players...

Thanks. Also, if both sides of the card are killed, the card is removed from play, set aside, so it will be visible which card(s) is out of play.

Thanks again for taking the time to review this game and offer feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First draft cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To explain the combat a bit more, let's say Green goes first this round:

The Rifleman has a "straight ahead" attack value of 2 dice, but the "Cover Fire" opposite it has a defense value of -2, the the Rifleman could roll 2 - 2 = 0 dice, in other words, can't attack successfully.

So, a better first move would be the Sniper versus "Defend Flank": +3 + 1 = 4, roll 4 dice, with a good chance of getting at least one "6" to take out "Engel".

Or, Rifleman "Bell" could attack "Engel". It's a diagonal (longer distance) attack, so the attack value is 1, the diagonal Defend Flank defense modifier is +2, so +1 + 2 = 3, roll 3 dice. Sniper is a better move, but this one isn't bad either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of re-theming / re-skinning this game with a mech warrior type theme, just to make it a little less serious than a WWII theme.

If any hobbyist game artist is looking to collaborate on a game in this capacity, please let me know.

Any Hobbyist Artists Want to Collaborate with a Hobbyist Designer for 9 Card Nanogame Contest?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
I am thinking of re-theming / re-skinning this game with a mech warrior type theme, just to make it a little less serious than a WWII theme.

If any hobbyist game artist is looking to collaborate on a game in this capacity, please let me know.

Any Hobbyist Artists Want to Collaborate with a Hobbyist Designer for 9 Card Nanogame Contest?

Thanks.

I actually quite like the WWII theme thumbsup. It makes it sound like a serious game that probably plays well.

I think this is very interesting. Will need to print and test it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback.

I think once I named the card faces "Edwards", "Flores", etc., the theme got too real for me, if that makes sense. I was making a game out of something that real people really died doing. I didn't want to have a great time killing Busch and Christoff, as odd as that sounds. Also, 3 on 3 infantry combat in WWII wasn't typical, so I was worried it may not be viewed as historically accurate.

So, I'm actually considering completing this game with 2-3 different "skins": I'll keep the WWII available (but probably won't be adding images), "mech warrior" (collaborating on that now), and a "slightly steampunk" theme from another game I created called "Iron & Brass":
[WIP] "Iron & Brass" - [Contest Ready] Entry in 2015-2016 Wargame Print and Play Contest

That way, the player can decide which theme they want to play. The card actions would all be identical or nearly so, just the name of the action and images would be different: "Spotter", "Target Acquisition Drone", "Enemy Locating Optics" (or something).

It will be a good exercise for me, and hopefully give players a choice. I suppose, players could even battle WWII German infantry against mech warriors if they wanted, a la Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans, Pocket Battles: Elves vs. Orcs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
I didn't want to have a great time killing Busch and Christoff, as odd as that sounds.
I totally understand this

Narrow Gate Games wrote:

I suppose, players could even battle WWII German infantry against mech warriors if they wanted, a la Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans, Pocket Battles: Elves vs. Orcs.

This is a pretty fun idea.

Overall I think the mech theme is a good move. Really fits the 3v3 setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I'm adding this to my to-print list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
I'm actually considering completing this game with 2-3 different "skins": I'll keep the WWII available (but probably won't be adding images), "mech warrior" (collaborating on that now), and a "slightly steampunk" theme from another game I created called "Iron & Brass":
[WIP] "Iron & Brass" - [Contest Ready] Entry in 2015-2016 Wargame Print and Play Contest

That way, the player can decide which theme they want to play. The card actions would all be identical or nearly so, just the name of the action and images would be different: "Spotter", "Target Acquisition Drone", "Enemy Locating Optics" (or something).

It will be a good exercise for me, and hopefully give players a choice. I suppose, players could even battle WWII German infantry against mech warriors if they wanted, a la Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans, Pocket Battles: Elves vs. Orcs.

My "Iron & Brass Duel" version is almost ready, and the mech warrior version is also coming along nicely. Stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my draft re-skin of my own game. All card values and actions are the same, just moving it from "real" WWII theme to a fantasy world of my slightly steampunk game Iron & Brass.

Edit: these have been updated to the latest revision 2/3/2016

I know that now it just looks like WWI instead of WWII, but I like it. I'm very new to graphic design, so this is still draft version design by a rookie. I'll keep working on it.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I like how your most recent revision is a bit more thematic but it doesn't seem as clean or as easy to read as the earlier one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:
I like how your most recent revision is a bit more thematic but it doesn't seem as clean or as easy to read as the earlier one.

Thanks. The mech warrior "skin" is shaping up nicely and will be thematic AND clean/easy to read.

I'll keep working on this one and see if I can make it better. I'm learning every time I do this. Hopefully, I'll also be getting better.

Any improvement suggestions for this design?

Is the text over the weapon icon just too busy?

I like the font, I think it fits the theme, but is it too hard to read?

Does the soldier name in the center of the card overlapping the colors there look too busy/clumsy?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
R4D6 wrote:

Thanks. The mech warrior "skin" is shaping up nicely and will be thematic AND clean/easy to read.

I'll keep working on this one and see if I can make it better. I'm learning every time I do this. Hopefully, I'll also be getting better.

Any improvement suggestions for this design?

Is the text over the weapon icon just too busy?

I like the font, I think it fits the theme, but is it too hard to read?

Does the soldier name in the center of the card overlapping the colors there look too busy/clumsy?

Thanks again.

I think it's more the font type that is hard to read. It's a cool font but when you place an image behind it it's that much harder to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes that is a titling font, not a text font. those frank lloyd wright inspired fonts dont work so well when set as body type mostly due to the kerning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. I'm busy this weekend, but I'll work on this more next week..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a different font, and the image and action text separated.

(Still need an image for "Defend Flank").

Better?

I know it's still simple and flat (2 dimensional), but I don't want to go too crazy with shadows, etc. until I get the base format decent.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A little more work on this.

First, I re-colored the cards to match an image I will use for the card backs. I played around with this image for my game "Iron & Brass" - it's a WWI propoganda poster image converted to "cover art" for my game:

I like the orange and black colors (a la Panzer Blitz), and the fact that it shows 3 soldiers in the image is great for this 3 vs 3 soldier skirmish game.

So, I muted the colors, just to make it "lower ink", then used those colors for the 2 sides in the game: the gray for "Iron" and the orange for "Brass".

Full sets of front and back of all 9 cards for anyone who wants to give the game a try:

Edited to latest version of cards 2/3/2016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you please post a link to your cards for play testers to download on OP. I only see a link to the rules.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |