Happy New Year!!!
The new year has arrived and that means its now time for the Fourth Annual DOCKERS GAME OF THE YEAR AWARD!!!
Normally I do this over at Melbourne Gamers, with the previous lists being 2014 , 2013, and 2012 - however I thought I'd try out this BGG Guild thing.
As with previous years, this is based on number of plays (not personal favourites) as per my record keeping here on BGG, and based on the listed 'Playing Time' as per Board Game Geek - unless the playing time looks silly.
Gamers@Dockers had a bit of a makeover this year, with a few regulars going AWOL but with plenty of new players finding us via meetup in the second half of the year . Many different games were played and enjoyed, but below are the games that shined above the others.
GAME OF THE YEAR - FILLER
Criteria: Up to 45 minutes Playing Time
Love it or hate it, last years late charger dominated. A landslide victory with over 30 more plays than any other game. That cant all be down to those nice pieces.
- Shadow Hunters: still good for some end of night carnage
- For Sale: there's life in the old favourite yet
- Camel Up: Up or Cup? doesn't matter its fun.
- Patchwork: Making quilts? really. I do know I need to try this.
GAME OF THE YEAR:
Criteria: 60+ Minutes Playing Time
For the first time we have a tie. Oddly I've only managed to play one of them.
Why farm fields and grow your family when you can make beer and get smashed - I mean make others happy by running a brewery.
and Cthulhu Wars
Seriously, just look at those miniatures and you'll want this baby on the table.
- Agricola: still good, but it wasn't beer
- Panamax: move boats, smoke cigars
- Alien Frontiers: still one of the most consistent games @Dockers
- Village: I see dead people
For fun I shall continue the award for:
SURPRISE PACKET OF THE YEAR
Auf Teufel komm raus
A bit of a bargain find from Gavin, and a heck of a lot of fun.
- Tiny Epic Defenders: a filler co-op. quite unique.
And in keeping with tradition its important to honor:
TURKEY OF THE YEAR
Dead Man's Draw
Seemed to play fine on the app, but with real people it was just dead.