504» Forums » Rules

Subject: 93X: Why would a company move out of its capital? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 504:93x [+] [View All]
Justin K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I should put this here or in General, but I haven't actually played this combo yet (I want to) and I feel like I must be missing a rule, hence I'm putting it here.

I can't see why a company would ever move out of its starting capital. Let's take 936 as an example, since 6.III in particular doesn't really interact here. By my understanding, cities are 3 hexes away so getting a settlement in another city requires purchasing 3 residents at $10 each, and then the factory for $20, totaling $50 of direct payment to get the new factory. Furthermore, it took you four Business Rounds (BRs) to build the factory -- three to move residents and one to build the factory in the purchase phase. Since there are only 5 BRs in the game, this means the factory is only generating income twice, for a gain of $30 by the end of the game. That's a net loss of $20 and I haven't even factored in maintenance costs yet!

So what am I missing the prevents every company from just building three factories in its capital and taking no other actions? None of the privileges seem to really address this; they might make it slightly cheaper to get a new factory (e.g. residents cost $8) but they certainly won't make up a loss of $20 + maintenance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question.

You can only buy 1 factory per city per turn, in order to maximise income you will want to get to a second city at least.
Also you get dividends based on income not on assets, so the president as the largest stock holder should want to maximise the profits of the company not the assets of the company.

I think that for a company with a small initial investment, staying in 1 city and building to 3 factories might be a good idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also with streets you can reach a city in at least 2 turns and get income there 4 times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
knaves wrote:
Good question.

You can only buy 1 factory per city per turn, in order to maximise income you will want to get to a second city at least.

Yes I knew about that rule, but it doesn't affect my calculation

Quote:

Also you get dividends based on income not on assets, so the president as the largest stock holder should want to maximise the profits of the company not the assets of the company.

That's a good point; I didn't realize assets at the end of the game are ignored. Hopefully that's enough to make it worthwhile to expand.

Jack Spirio wrote:
Also with streets you can reach a city in at least 2 turns and get income there 4 times

Yes you're right, although this is very expensive and still won't turn an actual profit (you have to buy at least 4 extra residents to build two roads with). However, now that it's pointed out that held assets don't matter, perhaps this is worth doing. Maybe 938 was a better example (I don't see any reason to build production plants here since you barely use residents anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go through all of the 93x games though
932, 938 residents are in a hurry, you can get to the cities much earlier.
936 road building means you get to other cities earlier.
931 your trolley can go around the map placing settlements at fairly low cost to you.
937 settlements in other tiles give the companies extra end game vp which makes their shares worth more money at the end of the game.
934 the ability to take out a company who just goes for the 3 factory build will play into this and the conquerer gets to claim all but 1 of the factories in that hex. -edit: companies established in later share rounds (due to being eliminated or not being founded earlier) can take out cities that don't have a capital and gain all but 1 of the factories there. This makes building factories outside your capital a liability.
935 seems like the week game in this list. I still think exploration is worth while and cities could be just 2 tiles away, but the increased cost of exploring before moving would make sitting still an attractive option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.