BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [Time Well Spent] Going Out of Business Sale Everything 15% off rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad to post this. soblue

Time Well Spent Games is going out of business and starting today, January 5th, everything in stock will be discounted 15%.

No price matching during the sale, but free shipping threshold of $150 (and $5 off discount shipping at $100) will be honored if met before the 15% discount is applied.

www.timewellspentgames.com

I have enjoyed being a customer and found that they often have the odd import I'm looking for that other stores didn't stock. Usually, I could find a bargain or two in their clearances or dutch auctions to build an order around. I didn't even realize they had a price matching policy until after my last order. When I messed up an order, I would get a call from Dave and he'd personally help me straighten it out. I will definitely miss TWS, but wish him well in future endeavors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
No price matching? Because you can find lower prices elsewhere than even their "going out of business" sale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Prussian wrote:
Sad to post this.

Indeed. I've had a tough time coming up with large orders with them due to stock issues, but they have frequently had games I wanted that no one else carried.

A couple such gems...

Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas
Cave Evil

It will be sad to see them go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered from them once, and they were really great to work with. However, since I finance my games mostly with paypal gift cards, I usually ended up ordering from places that accepted paypal. But, TWS was known for obtaining things that the other online stores often don't, and that will definitely be missed by many gamers. It sounds like Dave is really at peace with the move, and I totally respect that and wish him the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
I ordered from them once, and they were really great to work with. However, since I finance my games mostly with paypal gift cards, I usually ended up ordering from places that accepted paypal. But, TWS was known for obtaining things that the other online stores often don't, and that will definitely be missed by many gamers. It sounds like Dave is really at peace with the move, and I totally respect that and wish him the best!

Great people and honest business. I ordered some of my first games in this hobby from them. And their top sales lists always gave me some of the best hot games to think about. When I was price checking with them, and mentioned my dad was very sick, they prayed for him. They didn't have to go that far. Good people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad to see them go. I've placed a handful of orders, and I haven't had much interaction, but I always liked that they were one of the few left out West.

ThoughtHammer, Boards n' Bits, and now TimeWellSpent gone.

While I'm sad to see another small site gone, at least Dave's moving forward on his own terms to do what he feels is important to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna H
United States
Beverly Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Adventures of a Solo Astronaut
mbmbmbmbmb
Really bummed to hear this soblue Ordering from them was always a pleasure, sad to see them go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definitely a huge loss to our community.
Between fairplaygames and timewellspent, I was able to get most of the imports I wanted.

Hopefully Gamesurplus will not also be toppled by this karma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
Sad to see them go. I've placed a handful of orders, and I haven't had much interaction, but I always liked that they were one of the few left out West.

ThoughtHammer, Boards n' Bits, and now TimeWellSpent gone.

While I'm sad to see another small site gone, at least Dave's moving forward on his own terms to do what he feels is important to him.

Also Board Game Warehouse, short lived though it was. (I know the BGW website says they're coming back, but I've given up hope for that.)

I'm also very glad that Dave is moving on in a positive way; I would have hated to see another Boards & Bits scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Timewelllspent has always one of my top three stores. It had my hard to find imports
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dave has always been a class act. Will definitely miss TWS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. Okay. If only it wasn't so. You cannot say that I didn't order about as much as I could over the last 4 months there, but it is the overall picture that matters.

I was afraid of this.

Timewellspent had the packing I needed to get like new games. I don't really have any other ideas. I will be getting 40% or more messed up games in the future when it used to be 0%.

I suppose I should try to get them cheap then and just live with the messed up boxes.

It makes some sense though, what is written there. It sounds okay and positive overall. I guess there are more important things.

I am just fully switching to csi in the future and I may not complain too much about condition issues. It is probably because of my postal route that I want extra packing, but I suppose I will need to take what is standard.

I believe I have already ordered most of everything that I would have from tws though. I doubt I could come up with another order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Longholes

Providence
Rhode Island
msg tools
badge
I must admit the 15% off isn't inciting enough for me to even contemplate clicking the link.

It's wonderfully ironic that a forum to streamline internet deals would have a eulogy for a vendor that could not compete with those prices (and with helpful tips on how they could have done better by having a greater quality of service!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie L

New Jersey
msg tools
I think I ordered my copy of Puerto Rico Anniversary Edition from them years ago, when the game was starting to get scarce. I'll remember them for that, and for that it is sad to see them go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boo...great retailer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Jatczak
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Great site...will be missed. Thanks TWS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I had $4.53 left on an old gift certificate. So, $145.37 more worth of stuff to get it shipped for free! Order happily, but unhappily placed. TWS did things right. Go get 'em, Dave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew L
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
woe to the conquered - they lack waffles
badge
This is an ex-(Imperial Aquila)-parrot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad day; thank you for being a great gaming store TWS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen J
Australia
Erskineville
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
RAWRRRRRRRR
badge
RAWRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
While unfortunate that there will be one less online retailer, I'm glad he's shutting down to focus on other aspects of his life, rather than his business going broke.

Best of luck with your ministry work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer. Great store, especially for imports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in November, I posted about pressures faced by OLGSs (OLGS Wars: Who will be left standing? And why?), and I mentioned Time Well Spent as a mid-tier OLGS that would be hard pressed to keep up with the craziness. I wonder too how much the recent Asmodee North America declaration affected this decision.

Before an FLGS opened near me, Time Well Spent was my go-to store. Dave and team always treated me right. Kudos for keeping it both real and professional!

Curiously, in the past six months, this is now the second game retailer who got my money that has decided to close shop to pursue ministry. Cincinnati's best-stocked game store, Yottaquest, closed when the owner decided to go back to school to get a theology degree. I guess if you're going to get out, getting out for Jesus is the best reason. Blessings on Dave.

Still, sad to see a genuine mom & pop with some clout close, though I am not surprised. Increased pressure from Amazon and Target have certainly made it harder on every OLGS.

At least I'll have my Time Well Spent fridge magnets to remind me of what once was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
dbler wrote:
I must admit the 15% off isn't inciting enough for me to even contemplate clicking the link.

It's wonderfully ironic that a forum to streamline internet deals would have a eulogy for a vendor that could not compete with those prices (and with helpful tips on how they could have done better by having a greater quality of service!)

What are you talking about?

TWS is not going out of business because "they couldn't compete." The owner wants to do other things. And what tips are you talking about? TWS was known for imports and great customer service. If anything they were an example for other stores.

You sound like you never ordered from them and don't know what you're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
edelen wrote:

At least I'll have my Time Well Spent fridge magnets to remind me of what once was.

I have one on my fridge. It was always great to receive an order from them & they always had oddball games I couldn't find elsewhere. It sounds like he's closing the business on his terms, and I'm happy to hear that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two stories about Dave going the extra mile for his customers.

In December, I bought a few games from TWS that did not reach the free shipping amount. I was going to have them delivered UPS Ground which was going to take 4 to 10 business days. I was fine with that. A few minutes later he sent me a message indicating that he switched the shipping to USPS Priority Mail for a cheaper cost to me. And it arrived a day after I ordered it!

Dave has been known to attend local gaming groups around the Denver area. Normally people in the groups would make orders when they knew that Dave would be attending. He would then bring their orders to the group to save on shipping. One time, he forgot to load up the orders and arrived at the gaming location without them. He realized what had happened and turned around to go get the orders from the warehouse. Which is a 50-mile round trip!

I'm going to miss Dave as a retailer, but I'm happy to still have him as a friend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
travvller wrote:
dbler wrote:

TWS is not going out of business because "they couldn't compete."

Can you really draw that conclusion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.