11 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Action Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Moore
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, I recently got Terra Mystica and played a couple games with my family this past weekend, we all thoroughly enjoy the game but want to ensure we are playing correctly.

I read in the rules that each action could be performed once per turn.

Does that men that action #1 Build & Terraform is limited to 1 tile or if you had enough resources you could terraform and build dwellings on multiple tiles for the action?

Also action #4 Upgrade, is this restricted to one building or if you have enough resources are you allowed to upgrade multiple dwellings per action (both dwellings to trading houses for example.
Also can one building be upgraded multiple times in the same action turn provided you spend the appropriate resources (dwelling to trading house to temple for example).

Thank you for your time in reading my questions, any and all feedback is most welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you are talking of 2 different Actions.

The limited actions are the ones printed on the bottom of the board (Build bridge, Get 1 Priest, Get 2 Workers, Get 7 Coins, Get 1 Spade, Get 2 Spades).

Only these actions are limited to 1 per round.
Wait, your action number 8 "Pass your current round" is available once a turn, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Terraform & Build and Upgrade are limited to one hex per turn. If you have the resources to do more, you must do it on some later turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Moore
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
Both Terraform & Build and Upgrade are limited to one hex per turn. If you have the resources to do more, you must do it on some later turn.

Thank you for your answer unfortunately that is what I thought. So just to be clear even though the upgrade action is limited to one tile a building could be upgraded twice on a single action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D00MSTALKER wrote:

Thank you for your answer unfortunately that is what I thought. So just to be clear even though the upgrade action is limited to one tile a building could be upgraded twice on a single action.

As far as I can see you could only make one update per turn.
I have only the german rulebook here but is says: "Upgrade one building".

Since the original build is gone after the upgrade, you could not upgrade it any further ( with this action ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For one turn, you may use an action to upgrade one building one step (so, from a Dwelling to a Trading Post).

On your VERY NEXT turn, after your opponents have taken their actions (or any other turn for that matter), you may upgrade again, as another action, the same building or a different one, as long as you have enough resources.

Do not confuse 'turn' with 'round'. A 'turn' is what you do when it's time for you to take your Action, and includes any Conversions you might wish to do that don't cost actions (such as turning Workers into Coins). A 'round' is everyone taking turns continually until everyone has passed.

The basic Actions on the reference cards can be used multiple times per Round.

The Power Actions (on the board, which require power) and certain other limited actions (such as the Bonus card action which gives a free spade) can only be used once per Round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming one hexagon or terraforming one hexagon and building a dwelling on exactly this hexagon is one action.
Also upgrading a building once is one action.

The only exeptions where you can transform more than one hexagon at once are...
...spades from cults (e.g. you have eight steps on the white cult and there's the tile that gives you one spade per 4 steps there - now you can use those two spades at once and on different hexagons if you like to. You're not allowed to buy additional spades or build dwellings at this point in the "Income from cults" phase as you do not have an action here.
...spades received from the 6th power action which gives you 2 spades at once - here you can use those spades to transform up to two hexes and then you may build one dwelling on one of those two hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Moore
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
For one turn, you may use an action to upgrade one building one step (so, from a Dwelling to a Trading Post).

On your VERY NEXT turn, after your opponents have taken their actions (or any other turn for that matter), you may upgrade again, as another action, the same building or a different one, as long as you have enough resources.

Do not confuse 'turn' with 'round'. A 'turn' is what you do when it's time for you to take your Action, and includes any Conversions you might wish to do that don't cost actions (such as turning Workers into Coins). A 'round' is everyone taking turns continually until everyone has passed.

The basic Actions on the reference cards can be used multiple times per Round.

The Power Actions (on the board, which require power) and certain other limited actions (such as the Bonus card action which gives a free spade) can only be used once per Round.

I really like this answer, I was under the impression that each basic action was only able to be used once per round. This makes sense and will enable us to grow our civilizations larger and become more powerful.

Thank you for all of your responses this community has been very helpful and your insight is greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D00MSTALKER wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

As has been clarified by others, I misspoke here: you can only upgrade a building one step with one action. But you get to keep taking actions until you're unable or unwilling to take any more. So the only real restriction about upgrading is that you might have to delay dropping out, and thus possibly not get a bonus tile you wanted. (Or get a worse turn order next round, if you're playing that variant.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Moore
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must apologize for this thread but am very thankful for the clarification. I just re-read the rules and this was stated very clearly. I must have misread this section and am looking forward to my first game playing correctly. Now my only dilemma is whether to be Engineers or Swarmlings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
D00MSTALKER wrote:
I must apologize for this thread but am very thankful for the clarification. I just re-read the rules and this was stated very clearly. I must have misread this section and am looking forward to my first game playing correctly. Now my only dilemma is whether to be Engineers or Swarmlings.

Don't ever feel like you need to apologize for asking rules questions. I've made some real blunders in some games due to having a rule or two wrong, it's always best to seek clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.