Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: Best way to start Painting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm based in the UK and am looking to start to paint my BP miniatures but would like some advice on what to buy to get started.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good brush set?

Paint wise...CMON have created the Army Painter deal which includes the BP painter set, a necrotic flesh base spray, a skin paint and a glossy blood paint which I will probably get for £30 (is there a better alternative?), but the tutorials for a lot of the characters like Nelly, Samson, Clovis, Ann require a base coat of spray primer not included in the set.

I don't really want to buy a €10 (£7-8) can of spray paint for one model but sadly this seems to apply for quite a few hero's.

I have the Knights pledge and will get another 30+ hero's....maybe I do need to invest in a lot of primers otherwise there will be no variation in the different hero's schemes.

I guess I could just paint a different scheme to the ones shown on the Army Painters website gallery using just what is in the base set but it might start to look a bit samey.

Not sure what to do.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince luquaum
msg tools
There is a deal for primer + paints + brushes posted in the last kickstarter update which should include everything needed to start off with. I don't have experience with the colours offered through that though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Štoudek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have experience with painting at all, but from what I read you do not need all the primer sprays from AP because they used in tutorials (they need to sell their stuff, that is why they used it). You might as well use for everything white prime or even the Necrotic flash provided in bundle.

Because the primer as I see it is for
1) have thin coat to which other paints stick better
2) You will save time
3) You will save paint if for example majority of the miniature should be black (For the Nun example, you can paint it with black color from the war paint and use this as primer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Harmon
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The color match primers are really just for convenience. I have been painting for a long time and almost always just use white primer. I am however going to buy a can of the Necrotic flesh to use on all the zombies in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Hass
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Disclaimer: I'm not an expert painter!)I agree with a the previous posts. I plan on using either white or black base coat depending on if the character's color scheme is brighter or darker. Example Nelly I would spray white, while Ann I would spray black.

(Topic sidetrack) I've also had some issues with a few AP colors. My white and yellow are all but useless. I shook them but when I squeezed the paint out it was either very watery or came out in thick globs. I squeezed my white so hard that the top of the bottle popped off (thick globs everywhere). But some of the other colors are fantastic to work with. Not sure what to do with white and yellow, since I don't know what to ask. I did some minor searches on some paint forums but I either failed to fine what I was looking for or was distracted by an interesting thread.

Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to start with a mini you do not care about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir_Pete wrote:
Because the primer as I see it is for
1) have thin coat to which other paints stick better
2) You will save time
3) You will save paint if for example majority of the miniature should be black (For the Nun example, you can paint it with black color from the war paint and use this as primer.)

When dealing with softer plastic minis, the primer will also help prevent the paint from chipping or peeling off.

I generally use Army Painter primer but that is on plastic resin (Warmachine), metal, or hard plastic (Shadows of Brimstone). I know people who use Krylon primers and I might consider them for these figures since they are designed to hold onto surfaces better and provide a good surface for painting. I would suggest doing some Google research since I really don't paint much anymore. I'd rather pay people to do it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As others have said - no need to buy the primers in every colour. I've watched the videos and sure, it can be a time-saver not to paint over some areas that match the primer colour but really...is it worth it ?

I like a grey primer, some use white and others use black. You don't even need to use a spray - I brushed on primer for years.

I'd suggest taking a close look at the selection and pricing of the Army Painter sets as well. I don't know - they may be a great deal or you may be buying colours you don't really need. Remember, no gamer-police will arrest you if you use a different brand - I like Vallejo, some use Citadel / GW - check your local store. However, I can see as a beginner an appeal to buying a boxed set.

So having typed that, I hope you will give it a try whatever path you take - you may find that you enjoy painting more than gaming !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackson Arts is a UK-based seller. Myself, I use Raphael 8404 and Winsor and Newton Series 7 brushes, sizes 0 and 1, as well as 00 for eyes. Some painters use size 2. The pointed tip of the brush is most important, not the brush size.

You can color the zombie flesh any color you want. I paint the zombie flesh to match that of the unpainted plastic to distinguish one standalone set from another. I highly recommend the Army Painter Quickshade Ink set (eye droppers), and a paint set, such as the AP Zombicide: Black Plague or Zombicide Core set. Samey is fine for the zombies. Too heterogeneous and the board looks too busy.

AP colored primers are excellent for painting armies (thus, Army Painter) and huge numbers of similar mini's, namely the zombies. I like to zenithal prime my miniatures. First completely spray prime the mini's in black (hardware spray primer that sticks to plastic), then an AP colored primer from an overhead angle. Wash with an AP Quickshade Ink. Then start painting. See my profile for some Zombicide painting tutorials. Paint the zombies first, since they're easier. Since you backed the KS, you have a lot of survivors, so might end up picking a different color primer for them.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chaulklin
United States
hartland
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say just pick up a can of primer (doesn't really matter what color, but I would stick with white, grey or black). Go and get yourself some paint brushes from vallejo or army painter. Their sets of 3 or 4 brushes are pretty cheap and will last you the whole board game. And then I would look at the colors in the black plague paint set and just find vallejo model/game colors that resemble that and you'll be all good.

Painting is a learned skill for most. So I do agree with one of the other posters, get a cheap miniature that you don't care about and start there. Then you can figure out some basic techniques so that way you won't just make a mess on the zombicide guys and then be unhappy with the work you've done.

2 big tips.
1- get a bottle of thinner to thin out the paints. Thinner works better than water. The thinner is an acrylic medium so it will keep the pigment from just sloshing around on the mini. Always use thinned paint. Itay take 2 or 3 coats some times but it will look better ok n the end.

2- always clean your brushes. Sometimes in between miniatures. A simple thorough rinse in some water will extend the life of your brush immensely. And don't use the bristle side of the brush to mix paints. Use a toothpick or a popsicle stick or even the back side of the brush handle. Once you get paint deep into the brush near the metal part (can't recall what it's called) your brush will never be the same and will begin to harden a little more everytime you use it.

I hope these are helpful. I have been painting for 15 years and have learned alot of new things in the resent past. I just want to pass on my knowledge so that others can get the quality they want from their miniatures. Also most likely if your just starting, your miniatures will not look exactly like the ones in the videos when your done. Don't let that discourage you because he has been painting for a long long time and you have just started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Seckman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently painting my miniatures, and can confirm that for the heroes, black/white primer is fine, but for all those zombies I did buy a can of Necro Flesh Primer and it has saved me LOADS of time. All the zombies have that color, so it's one less color I have to paint aside from the occasional correction. It took me about 30 minutes to prime them all. Would have taken much longer to paint that color on 70+ minis. Worth the $15 or whatever I spent on the can a my LGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou all for your responses, what a great community

I will get the starter pack and a white and black primer and maybe a few additional individual paints for some more variety. Cheers guys.

The last time I painted was about 15 years ago when I bought some Tyranid Warriors and spent hours on each one blending the carapace armour from black to red, it was very time consuming but they came out wonderful (I then realised If it was to carry on with this style I would take years to make a full army! ha)

The past 2 years me and my friends have regular board game nights and the recent purchase of BP and the extras and people posting their painting has whet my appetite and I don't think I can resist getting back into a bit of painting! even if I wont be able to spend much time doing it.

If I get to complete one soon, I will post back and share with you my results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, just finished my first 3 zombies and though I would share

few things I would change, probably less highlighting on the torso cloak and brown trousers especially the one on the left, but still another 4 of these guys to do so will see. Would like to do more to the base, maybe some texture and dry brushing. But going to get all zombies to shaded level and then focus on survivors and Abom and get them to this level (hopefully better as I will be improving!)

thanks again for all your help in getting to this stage, been enjoying painting again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nicely done ! So what paints did you end up buying ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went for Zombicide BP starter set (Using CMON promo code to get a few added items), paint brush set, white and black primers (get necrotic flesh with the bundle) and then about 5 paints from the original Zombicide range to add a bit of variation.

Oh and after reading about the Aegis Suite Satin varnish being quite shiny I bought a matte version of eBay and sprayed these 3 last night. I had to mix some black with the Abom Red to get a darker base red for the blood but I don't mind mixing a few combinations for highlights rather than using a colour straight from pot.

I decided to use the deep shader over the legs before I varnished so the highlights were not as prominent and they look better now, also used plague shader on the torso cloak to the same effect.

Just going to add glistening blood to the blood areas so some of it looks like fresh blood then done. Although I will probably add some sand/texture/dry brushing to the bases down the road as for now I am just going to base colour as many as possible and then shade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.