Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault – Return to Hoth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Threat Missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
All I see in the book is instructions for setting up the deck - can someone clarify for me under what circumstances you're supposed to draw from it? Or do you get those instructions over the course of the campaign? If that's it, just say yes - no spoilers please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I have read the rules, they say that rebels can choose to take a threat mission to resolve instead of playing a side mission.

(The Return to Hoth rules are now online, but does not seem to have that part.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember the new RtH campaign guide (not with me at the moment...), either one or two Threat Missions are drawn after the initial mission, at the same time as drawing the first two available Side Missions. The Bane Rewards for the Imperials immediately come into play at that time, and the Rebels can choose a Threat Mission as their Side mission to remove the Bane and try to win the associated Boon Reward.

The Bane is discarded at the end of its associated Threat Mission no matter the winner of the mission, but the Rebels still have to win to gain the Boon.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is also some point in the campaign that another Threat Mission or two gets drawn, and the Imperial gains the Bane from that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bohde8781 wrote:
If I remember the new RtH campaign guide (not with me at the moment...), either one or two Threat Missions are drawn after the initial mission, at the same time as drawing the first two available Side Missions. The Bane Rewards for the Imperials immediately come into play at that time, and the Rebels can choose a Threat Mission as their Side mission to remove the Bane and try to win the associated Boon Reward.

The Bane is discarded at the end of its associated Threat Mission no matter the winner of the mission, but the Rebels still have to win to gain the Boon.

There is also some point in the campaign that another Threat Mission or two gets drawn, and the Imperial gains the Bane from that as well.

Yeah, I looked again and finaly found it - you'd expect it to be under the bold "Threat Missions" heading, but no. It's under "Campaign Structure". Like you said,you draw two Threat Missions along with your first two Side Misions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is that future Campaigns might also include Threat Missions, but use them in a different way. The Campaign Structure is unique to each Campaign. Note that there are also several different ways of constructing the Side Mission Deck in Return to Hoth compared to the Core Set Campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:

I was looking for the rule that said when name rewards are discarded, but couldn't find it. Where is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bungeeboy wrote:
I was looking for the rule that said when name rewards are discarded, but couldn't find it. Where is it?

The Threat cards all state, "While this card is in play, the Imperial player claims the X Reward card."

Clearly, this implies that the Imperial player loses the Reward card once the Threat is taken out of play, which is at the end of resolving that mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
bungeeboy wrote:

The Threat cards all state, "While this card is in play, the Imperial player claims the X Reward card."

Clearly, this implies that the Imperial player loses the Reward card once the Threat is taken out of play, which is at the end of resolving that mission.

Cool. That makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirlitho -
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But that looks weird to me.

For the second mission, the Rebels will have the choice between 2 side missions and 2 threat missions. They will have almost no chance to choose a side mission as that would let the Empire keep 2 banes.

And that will be the same after story mission 1.

So the campaign structure is in fact : Intro - Threat 1/4 - Story 1 - Threat 2/4. If I'm right it's a bit boring...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how it works, though. Note there are two Side Missions after the first Story Mission, so you can delay until then if you like. You'll definitely be able to choose at least one normal Side Mission before the Interlude, perhaps more if you don't really mind the Banes being in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirlitho -
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the answer, I was not sure I had understood the new rules correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirlitho -
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The interlude mission Return to Echo base gives a bonus to the Empire if there are active Bane cards. That is another rule to make the two first threat missions almost mandatory.

I'm disapointed as it makes the game very scripted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.