Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [AMAZON] Sedition Wars - 19.99 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tails

Rochester
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2WL3C4?dpID=51t4XPSVz4L...

Lowest price ever per camel, and I don't think I've seen it lower in sales from OLGS. Usually this thing is at $25 I believe during sales. Iffy reviews, but I think people usually post about re-purposing the miniatures since it's CMON quality.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Had it before and never played... have to reorder the replacement cards/rulebook, but they did add solo rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scratch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I snagged a clearance copy last month with the dual intentions of trying to cobble together a slightly less broken rules variant, or just using the minis for other games entirely... It is a lot of minis.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zelasco
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice price.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
catelldm wrote:
Iffy reviews, but I think people usually post about re-purposing the miniatures since it's CMON quality.
This was CMON's 2nd Kickstarter, and the Studio McVey minis weren't particularly good. They remind me of Mantic's early efforts: Kinda undersized, and not real easy to assemble (although there are blog posts about assembly, and you will probably need them.) The rules in the box aren't great, and they re-did the cards & rules later. So if you need a cheap source of sci-fi trooper minis you could make a case for buying, but don't get it thinking you're really going to get super-deep into it, because you probably won't.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
catelldm wrote:
Iffy reviews, but I think people usually post about re-purposing the miniatures since it's CMON quality.
This was CMON's 2nd Kickstarter, and the Studio McVey minis weren't particularly good. They remind me of Mantic's early efforts: Kinda undersized, and not real easy to assemble (although there are blog posts about assembly, and you will probably need them.) The rules in the box aren't great, and they re-did the cards & rules later. So if you need a cheap source of sci-fi trooper minis you could make a case for buying, but don't get it thinking you're really going to get super-deep into it, because you probably won't.


While assembly kinda sucks, the miniatures are otherwise fine, especially for this price. I'd recommend for that purpose, IF you don't mind some assembly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm picking it up for the minis and bases.

I'm used to assembly from Warmachine. It can't be harder than that right?

wow
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to have a fun time with the soldiers' arms, I tell you what.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmbmb
Great deal, but too many problems with the game (rules and components) to bite. The board tiles, cards, and rules have all been updated, and from what I can tell don't expect the updates in the box, and don't expect to get the fixed components for free (latest info I could find: "Rulebook is $10, replacement cards are $3, and tiles are $15" from Comments on this video)

I'll just put $20 in my Imperial Assault slush fund. I love a good deal (maybe too much) but a game that I'll play is a better idea.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
Horror Leader wrote:
I'm picking it up for the minis and bases.

I'm used to assembly from Warmachine. It can't be harder than that right?

wow
It's less about assembly being "hard" and more about assembly being "annoying." Here's a photo I found:



Sarcasmorator is right when he mentions having fun with the soldiers' arms. You can see from the photo the gun is molded with their hands, and you get the fun job of attempting to glue that to the right shoulder & left wrist simultaneously. These joins are not ball-and-socket, nor key-locked, nor anything other than smooth and actually a little convex, which makes this process verrrrry annoying, especially if you plan on using super-glue (which needs time to set) because the contact points will slip out of position very easily.

Can it be done? Sure. Is it worth it for minis that aren't really that swell to begin with? Not to me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
These joins are not ball-and-socket, nor key-locked, nor anything other than smooth and actually a little convex, which makes this process verrrrry annoying, especially if you plan on using super-glue (which needs time to set) because the contact points will slip out of position very easily.


An alternative that I've found easy to work with and much quicker to set is:


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
It's less about assembly being "hard" and more about assembly being "annoying." Here's a photo I found:


That's a very helpful image. I went to cancel the order, but it already shipped! Darn you, Amazon Prime for being so fast!

cry
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
Great deal, but too many problems with the game (rules and components) to bite. The board tiles, cards, and rules have all been updated, and from what I can tell don't expect the updates in the box, and don't expect to get the fixed components for free (latest info I could find: "Rulebook is $10, replacement cards are $3, and tiles are $15" from Comments on this video)

I'll just put $20 in my Imperial Assault slush fund. I love a good deal (maybe too much) but a game that I'll play is a better idea.


I received the updated rule book, the new cards, and the new tiles all for free. Sure, it took awhile to get them but CMON sent all of the replacements to me free-of-charge. There was also the issue with a few missing arms and those were also replaced.

As to the assembly - this was the first bunch of minis I have had to assemble, so I am far from an expert. But I did manage to assemble them all to a fair degree. They are frustrating in the way they were produced but all but three figures went together as needed using super glue (the three individual characters went together but there are some gaps or misaligned parts). There is no way I am going to paint these though since they have an incredible amount of fine detail that requires more talent than I will ever have. But, in the end, I have a playable game for $25 (what I paid) that someday I will actual learn and play!blush
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quidom wrote:
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
Great deal, but too many problems with the game (rules and components) to bite. The board tiles, cards, and rules have all been updated, and from what I can tell don't expect the updates in the box, and don't expect to get the fixed components for free (latest info I could find: "Rulebook is $10, replacement cards are $3, and tiles are $15" from Comments on this video)

I'll just put $20 in my Imperial Assault slush fund. I love a good deal (maybe too much) but a game that I'll play is a better idea.


I received the updated rule book, the new cards, and the new tiles all for free. Sure, it took awhile to get them but CMON sent all of the replacements to me free-of-charge. There was also the issue with a few missing arms and those were also replaced.

As to the assembly - this was the first bunch of minis I have had to assemble, so I am far from an expert. But I did manage to assemble them all to a fair degree. They are frustrating in the way they were produced but all but three figures went together as needed using super glue (the three individual characters went together but there are some gaps or misaligned parts). There is no way I am going to paint these though since they have an incredible amount of fine detail that requires more talent than I will ever have. But, in the end, I have a playable game for $25 (what I paid) that someday I will actual learn and play!blush


Are they sending replacements to anyone who purchased a copy of Sedition Wars first edition?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
pekin2121 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
These joins are not ball-and-socket, nor key-locked, nor anything other than smooth and actually a little convex, which makes this process verrrrry annoying, especially if you plan on using super-glue (which needs time to set) because the contact points will slip out of position very easily.
An alternative that I've found easy to work with and much quicker to set is:


There are indeed plenty of alternatives, but is your average Hot-Deal'er going to realistically go out and spend another $6-$10 for special modeler glue, on top of the $$$ he/she has already paid for the game? Chances are they are going to buy a $2 tube of super-glue at WalMart and call it a day. And those of us who buy such instant-set adhesives have far better models to spend our time with than these early plastic McVey efforts.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
There are indeed plenty of alternatives, but is your average Hot-Deal'er going to realistically go out and spend another $6-$10 for special modeler glue, on top of the $$$ he/she has already paid for the game? Chances are they are going to buy a $2 tube of super-glue at WalMart and call it a day. And those of us who buy such instant-set adhesives have far better models to spend our time with than these early plastic McVey efforts.


The extra $4 or so saves a lot of frustration.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone that doesn't already know, Esoteric Order has put a lot of work into making Sedtion Wars a functional game. I haven't personally tried their content yet, but I did buy a copy of Sedition Wars since I trust Esoteric to do a good job.

http://www.orderofgamers.com/sedition-wars-v3-7/
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:


Are they sending replacements to anyone who purchased a copy of Sedition Wars first edition?


I couldn't tell you for sure as I only have my own experience to go from - but I sent three separate requests (one for each of the rule book, cards, and tiles) and all three were addressed and replaced. I wasn't sure I would have success on the last one (my tiles were warping) but they came through.

I hope anyone else with such issues is handled as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
For anyone that doesn't already know, Esoteric Order has put a lot of work into making Sedtion Wars a functional game. I haven't personally tried their content yet, but I did buy a copy of Sedition Wars since I trust Esoteric to do a good job.

http://www.orderofgamers.com/sedition-wars-v3-7/


I'll check that out, thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Koenig
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
This was way too cheap to not buy for the miniatures alone. Recently, I just started Infinity and these minis will be perfect to use for that. Considering that each miniature in Infinity costs around $10+, I only need to use two miniatures out of the 50 in Sedition Wars to get my money's worth.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jackson
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased for the mini's also. I'll use them with Beyond The Gates Of Antares.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quidom wrote:
I couldn't tell you for sure as I only have my own experience to go from - but I sent three separate requests (one for each of the rule book, cards, and tiles) and all three were addressed and replaced. I wasn't sure I would have success on the last one (my tiles were warping) but they came through.


When did you make your requests? Did you have to pay for them? CMON said they'd charge me for the rulebook and the updated cards when I made a request several months ago.

I'd pick up a copy for the sf bases, but, otherwise, my copy's been sitting in my closet for half a year or so, unplayed. Better mini's with less hassle out there, and better rulesets.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I started my requests in May, shortly after I purchased the game. It took until about September to get everything finally sorted out and received. My communication was with Brandy Root and Jackie Clark through support@coolminiornot.com. As I sent at least 5 separate requests for things, I dealt with more than one CSR.

Never once was the suggestion of charging me brought up. I know that others have mentioned this but none of the emails mention a cost.

My original email was about the improvements of the second printing and why defective first editions are still being sold. I don't know if that made any difference or not.

Good luck!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just going to put this out there....

Distributors have been offering this game on clearance for about a year. ACD is offering it for $15. So... if you are on the fence about it... stay there. This price is not going away... everyone is trying to dump this game. Ask your FLGS about it. They probably can get it for $20... and be happy to sell it to you for that price. :-) (meaning they got it for even less.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Twu
msg tools
Received mine last night - I concur that the minis are neat and a bargain for the price.

I managed to clip off any offending flash bits with a pair of tiny nail clippers, no knife work. One or two clips per mini and done, except for the fricken arms for the soldiers. Those are by far the most annoying to deal with. The rest of the minis are not super difficult to assemble and some do have key slots to slide into place.

I bought a 2nd box just for the minis, as I am more familiar with the component association (damn box does not come with any assembly sheet) and the process to get everything up and running. Took me about 2 hours to sort and clip it all the first time, should take me much less time 2nd time around.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.