Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this game blind in both solo and co-op campaigns with 4 settlements running.

After buying the game, I scoured the internet for every KD:M related stuff that I could find and remembered someone saying that INSANITY is good. And so, I made it a point to have all my survivors insane after seeing how good it was at protecting their brains.

In my solo campaign, I have 8 out of 14 survivors with okay-ish to good stats. All insane. Went out to hunt my first Lv.2 Lion, confident with my paired Katars, Butcher Cleaver, and Lantern Halberd both from lucky rolls.

Take note that I've been pretty lucky up to this point with my rolls. Almost got a savior but didn't have that one innovation.

Anyway, back to the hunt.
All my survivors are insane. First Hunt Event card. I roll on the Hunt Event table. "... If all survivors are insane, they all die." because of feet.

So, they all died. It's okay. It's okay. Water under the bridge.
Hunt failed.

Next year, sent out my other 4 insane, okay-stats survivors.
First Hunt Event card. I roll on the Hunt table. All I can say was "What the actual f*ck?! Are your *bleeping* kidding me?!"
Same event, all died.

I went out with all 4 insane survivors hoping things will change and re-coup the previous LY's losses.

Clearly, I was insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Have I ever told you the definition of Insanity? [Spoiler Free]
Exo Desta wrote:
laugh

That's a huge spoiler though! I haven't rolled that one yet -- yikes! That thing is nasty.

Oh. Is it? I haven't mentioned the name and the exact flavor text though. Changed it to "Possible Minor Spoiler" instead.

Sorry if I spoiled it for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Have I ever told you the definition of Insanity? [Spoiler Free]
That sir, is bad luck!!!! Wow! That would cause a mutiny or two from my gaming group. Sucks.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, just rolled this one myself. My first thought was "nope, not gonna play it that way." But one of my survivors was sane, so it was all good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
That sir, is bad luck!!!! Wow! That would cause a mutiny or two from my gaming group. Sucks.

-Ski

That it is. But it makes for a good narrative. So I just laughed it off, took a breather and continued.

JPN38 wrote:
Yup, just rolled this one myself. My first thought was "nope, not gonna play it that way." But one of my survivors was sane, so it was all good.

Initially thought to skip it too, but I thought that I would just be cheating myself. Besides, I've screwed up a few rules before and continued anyway so I let it go as "cancelling each other out".
But 2 in a row. Damn. This settlement went from ballin' to sucks balls in no time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... insanity incurs some really nasty penalties at times. We try to keep a couple low insanity guys around.

But, wow, that was some epically bad luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I ran into the floor of feet in one of my first Hunt Events, I am usually pretty scared off of sending out a fully insane party - even if that means sending out a red shirt in place of a more Aged hunter.

I am fairly certain that this is not the only event that punishes the insane….

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's a 1 in a 100 shot of hitting that event. That is what makes the game so friggin' cool. It is all in how you roll the dice and how you manage your risks. Everything is a gamble. I hate to lose a hunting opportunity for experienced survivors but I also see how you live and die by how aggressive you want to be. That reality came to light when we almost lost our most esteemed survivor to a Phoenix...

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xairen wrote:
I've been playing this game blind in both solo and co-op campaigns with 4 settlements running.

After buying the game, I scoured the internet for every KD:M related stuff that I could find and remembered someone saying that INSANITY is good. And so, I made it a point to have all my survivors insane after seeing how good it was at protecting their brains.

In my solo campaign, I have 8 out of 14 survivors with okay-ish to good stats. All insane. Went out to hunt my first Lv.2 Lion, confident with my paired Katars, Butcher Cleaver, and Lantern Halberd both from lucky rolls.

Take note that I've been pretty lucky up to this point with my rolls. Almost got a savior but didn't have that one innovation.

Anyway, back to the hunt.
All my survivors are insane. First Hunt Event card. I roll on the Hunt Event table. "... If all survivors are insane, they all die." because of feet.

So, they all died. It's okay. It's okay. Water under the bridge.
Hunt failed.

Next year, sent out my other 4 insane, okay-stats survivors.
First Hunt Event card. I roll on the Hunt table. All I can say was "What the actual f*ck?! Are your *bleeping* kidding me?!"
Same event, all died.

I went out with all 4 insane survivors hoping things will change and re-coup the previous LY's losses.

Clearly, I was insane.

That's why I created the Mirror of Destiny rare gear. Archive the mirror to cancel any roll being made and immediately reroll wirh a +1 bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:

That's why I created the Mirror of Destiny rare gear. Archive the mirror to cancel any roll being made and immediately reroll wirh a +1 bonus.

Between bad settlement events that needed all of that LY's endeavors and other innovations, I think I don't had enough endeavors to create the right location to craft that item yet.

I also rolled that event twice, so I'm still losing a whole squad of seasoned fighters.

I'll have to look into making more locations/innovations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The mirror is a homebrew item, which should have really been labeled as such.

My group initially had a house rule for avoiding death, but after our first successful campaign, our only house rule has been that you attempt to complete a hunt when a monster leaves (so you have a chance if they re-enter), because some of the higher level hunts are enough of a gamble without chance of just not fighting (so a matter of fun rather than balance: otherwise, we'd just avoid fighting level 3's even more than we do).

Playing KD well is largely about planning around risk, and it can definitely be done, including coming back from a poor position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.