Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Ruby
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love playing Stone Age, but as a 2 player game, things seemed to be a little out of whack. After playing a few games, we would end up with so many bonus cards that we could easily have over 100 points of bonuses!

So, we came up with our own variation:

1. Only use half of the cards, picked randomly.
2. Use half of the hut tiles, but spread them out in 3 piles.
3. Only 1 card can be claimed per player, per round.
4. The game ends when all the cards, or all the huts are gone.

This makes for a good fair game with a reasonable amount of scoring and a time to play of around 1 hour.

My wife and I have played many games with these rules, and enjoy playing Stone Age quite a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boyle
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting changes - glad it made the game more interesting for you guys. Personally though, I do not like the removal of the cards or the restrictions on one card per round. That just seems like it really kills a good portion of scoring entirely if you can't bank on certain cards coming out at some point.

In your experience do you find the game ending on huts most of the time? From reading it, that would be my guess, but perhaps in practice it plays out differently.

And not an attack on you, but I see this discussion in lots of games - what's wrong with having 100 points in bonuses? I guess I've just never understood why people have a problem with really high scoring or low scoring games - if the scoring/bonuses are available to both players then who cares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RubyGamer wrote:
My wife and I love playing Stone Age, but as a 2 player game, things seemed to be a little out of whack. After playing a few games, we would end up with so many bonus cards that we could easily have over 100 points of bonuses!

So, we came up with our own variation:

1. Only use half of the cards, picked randomly.
2. Use half of the hut tiles, but spread them out in 3 piles.
3. Only 1 card can be claimed per player, per round.
4. The game ends when all the cards, or all the huts are gone.

This makes for a good fair game with a reasonable amount of scoring and a time to play of around 1 hour.

My wife and I have played many games with these rules, and enjoy playing Stone Age quite a lot!

Can you clarify variation #2? The rules for a 2 player game you use two stacks of 7. So you use half of that?

We play two player regularly and like it the way it is. To each his own as long as it works for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ruby
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use 14 huts, but spread them across 3 spaces, so 5, 4 and 5 in each stack..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ruby
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with all the cards is that there is always 2 X 8 of each green card, so unless you just start taking green cards to keep them away from the other player you will both end up with almost a complete set.

We found that after a few plays we were always going through the cards before finishing the huts, because the cards can get you tons of bonus.

We just find that the game is more enjoyable when there is some randomness in what cards come in to play. And since you don't know what kind of green cards are available, you don't know if it is a winning strategy to try for them or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just played Stone Age last night with the regular two player suggestion in the rules, we liked it as always. I will write down what you mentioned in your two player variant and try it next time.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls