Subject: Sould I put door "minis" on the board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
So the problem is that sometimes it is hard to see through the map, cause it is really crowded with elements, cards, figures.

I saw that some guy built nice markers to replace tokens.

My idea is similar, but to put door standees above the doors. Maybe with this the board would be way to crowded, I don't know. Maybe it be easier to identify the separate rooms.

What do you think?

P.s.: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1477961/mansions-madness
I really like these custom markers, but I would not to cover to much from the board itself, cause I like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Never really felt the need for that, but if I would, I'd use the doors from HeroQuest. Closed ones for rooms with lock cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed out and glued "doors" to the opposite side of my sealed door markers. The game comes with a lot, but not enough to put on every door.

Even though they blend in nicely with the illustrations, The doors on the tiles are pretty clear as it is, I think. As an investigator you're intentionally looking for routes and access points into rooms. And areas that have a door on both sides are very obvious. Portals where there is a door on one side, I can see players casually scanning the board may be missing them. But that's part of the game. If you aren't being observant, then you're losing the game.

I only put the door token out where it's ambiguous as to where there is a door between spaces (custom scenarios were a hallway gray line terminates against a wall with no door for example).

Standee doors are nice, but this game is pretty fiddly as it is with all of the tokens and long set-up time. I would be very hesitant to place a standee at every portal.
-Terry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
We just played this game, and I realized, doors are really unnecessary for this game. It is part of the discovery, to look through the board's details.

Although I still thinking about to highlight the markers, especially the altar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.