Codenames» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone else missing a key card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My copy only came with 39. One red bordered card is missing. I double checked to see if they were stuck together.

Will this affect gameplay at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AMartin56 wrote:

Not really.

Mathematically speaking, you could get to every possible board setup using only one key card. The problem there is that players might learn what that setup looks like. You could still probably get by with only 5 or 6 key cards as long as players didn't intentionally try to memorize them. Having only 39 instead of 40 will make almost no difference.

(That said, if it bothers you or your friends to have the odds for which team starts be slightly off of 50/50, you could use the app in place of key cards.)

CGE are very friendly and would probably be happy to replace the missing card, but figuring out which one needs replacing might be more trouble than it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, now you have me curious about the copy I just got...

...but, no, it won't affect gameplay at all. Each of your 39 cards can be used in any of four orientations, for functionally 156 different keys. Combine that with somewhere around the 200 double-sided word cards randomly shuffled and laid out in your grid, and you'll never have the same two games twice.

(add in the companion app, or one of the fanmade generators, and you have an even more ridiculous number of combinations)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AMartin56 wrote:
My copy only came with 39. One red bordered card is missing. I double checked to see if they were stuck together.

I was missing one red key card as well. Contacted support and they made it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone. I will either contact support or just remove one blue card so both teams have an equal chance of going first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. Maybe I'll contact support???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.