Tamidor Winddancer
msg tools
In the last Boardgame Breakfast on of Toms predictions for this year was that Arena of the Planeswalkers will fade away because Hasbro is not pushing it enough.

I like the game but it would need a lot of more Expansions including terrain to get really interesting.

So Hasbro come on, give us some more. Do not let a good game die before it might become great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how they could push it more than they are. It already has 10x the advertising that Heroscape ever did.

I would like to see some terrain released, but at the same time, that was the thing that cause Heroscape to skyrocket in price and eventually die. I would be more happy with more content releases like the Battle of Zendikar expansion. More unit types, more options, and just more releases will help.

I'm not sure how he can come to that conclusion for a game that's only been out for a couple months and sold out of the prerelase of both the base game and it's first expansion within days of their release. It seems that advertising and promotion was done well enough to boost sales higher than they were estimating. They must be doing something right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, would feel more comfortable about the future of this product if Hasbro was more transparent about the pipeline for the next few quarters. When it comes to CCGs, LCGs and the like, having a sketch of the future goes a long way. It's OK if the details get filled in later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
I would like to see some terrain released, but at the same time, that was the thing that cause Heroscape to skyrocket in price and eventually die.

Everyone keeps saying how the most expensive part of plastic game components is getting the molds made. Well, Hasbro has had the terrain molds on-hand for over a decade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James S.
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Seems a little premature, given that the game seems to have sold pretty well. I'd like to see the numbers, but that will never happen, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
This just showed up in my target (a ton of boxes). I noticed over the past few days they've been slowly disappearing. I grabbed one up too.

25 bucks for a complete in a box skirmish game that might have some expansions later? Heck yeah! My friend who loves Magic will play with me, and the rules seem simple enough that I could convince others to play. I consider my 25 bucks well spent, regardless if the game "dies" or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
I'm not sure how he can come to that conclusion for a game that's only been out for a couple months and sold out of the prerelase of both the base game and it's first expansion within days of their release.

I'm sure this is Tom's way of trying to light a fire under Hasbro. If anyone wants this game to succeed, it's Tom, as he loves Heroscape. I don't think he's predicting it because he wants it to go away. I think he's predicting it so that people will stand up and take notice, so that Hasbro will as well.

Most Hasbro games are not really very expandable.... so, who knows. Maybe it won't die, but it sure seems like the lack of news and information puts the game in an awkward place compared to other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's pretty dumb. Tom's words affect a lot of people. If they don't buy because of his prediction, he just made a self-fulfilling prophecy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I think it's pretty dumb. Tom's words affect a lot of people. If they don't buy because of his prediction, he just made a self-fulfilling prophecy.

One could say the same thing about people NOT buying because of his prediction. I don't get why people make a big deal out of things like this... Tom would be the first to admit his word and prediction shouldn't be taken for much. I guess he's going to have to make a statement about this, too... *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

It's a mass market game, so most of the people buying it are well outside of his range of influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i also think that it means that the game will disappear for him: aka, the game is too simple in its present format for his own taste.

Personally I keep reading that the game needs expansion but I am more than happy with just the base game. With 5 planeswalkers to choose from, cards and unit with special abilities to remember, it will take some time before i grow tired of it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Tom liked it in his Initial review?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken

Pdx
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
I thought Tom liked it in his Initial review?

Whether or not Tom liked it has nothing to do with if he thinks the game will die. Games fade away for other reasons than they are bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamidor Winddancer
msg tools
Just to clarify, Tom said he really hopes he is wrong because he likes the game and had high hopes for it, because he loves Herosacpe so much.
Who is interested in his exact words might want to watch the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the thing is Hasbro is kinda bad at this sort of thing. I loved heroscape but the way they released the expansions was simply the dumbest thing I have seen.

as in "expansions! great, i'll buy one pack of heroes, and 3 packs of each common"

next customer. "Expansions! Great, i'll buy a pack of heroes... wait there are no more common units. well, the heroes arnt as useful without the common units, I will pick up the heroes later"

Store "i have all these packs of heroes left over. I cant order another case until these heroes sell."

people want to be able to customize their forces and card decks. they want to try and outsmart their opponent in constructing the force and on the battlefield. they want to discover interesting combos between cards and units. the sooner this game provides that, the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
the thing is Hasbro is kinda bad at this sort of thing. I loved heroscape but the way they released the expansions was simply the dumbest thing I have seen.

as in "expansions! great, i'll buy one pack of heroes, and 3 packs of each common"

next customer. "Expansions! Great, i'll buy a pack of heroes... wait there are no more common units. well, the heroes arnt as useful without the common units, I will pick up the heroes later"

Store "i have all these packs of heroes left over. I cant order another case until these heroes sell."

people want to be able to customize their forces and card decks. they want to try and outsmart their opponent in constructing the force and on the battlefield. they want to discover interesting combos between cards and units. the sooner this game provides that, the better.

I feel like this exact thing killed Heroscape more than cost. When oil skyrocketed, causing plastic costs to go up, they changed the plastic the terrain was made out of.

On the other hand, I can't tell you how many big box store I went to that had unique hero packs sitting on the shelves and no commons. I used to buy 1 hero pack and 3 of each common. that means I'm buying two and a half cases in terms of volume, but leaving 1/2 case of unique figures behind. Someone looking to buy just one or each will have trouble because I'm often doing that at Walmart or TRU, and I'm going through every case on the shelf to pull it off.

When they made the push to move it to hobby store, my FLGS owner was ordering 3 cases just for me, knowing he was going to get stuck with the extra heroes. By the time D&D Heroscape came out, my TRU and Walmart got the master sets, but never stocked the expansions, because they had old heroes sitting around. 2 years ago I found old heroes on clearance at a Kmart that I literally had to blow the dust off of. Difference now is there's a demand online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_the_goon wrote:

I feel like this exact thing killed Heroscape more than cost. When oil skyrocketed, causing plastic costs to go up, they changed the plastic the terrain was made out of.

I've seen this game at my local walmart, I was very surprised as I had not heard about it, and it was priced at 30$, so I tought at this price it might need some extra cards, I was even more surprised that it was a standalone game and seemed well thought out. I will keep an eye on it for sure. As for the rising cost of manufacturing, the price of Oil had a big impact a couple of years ago, and the timing was wrong for a couple of products (Descent for example, had to be nearly cut in half to remain profitable). The price of crude oil also became the perfect excuse nowadays.

1Price of oil increase,NE wich leads to...
2plastic cost more to produce, transport cost more,NE wich leads to...
3the manufacturer increase the price of the products.NE After a while, this leads to...
4 Customer get used to high prices. bag However...
5 Oil price decrease,SE BUT...
6product price stays the same...E

This is very general and applies to all products/market. Notice how quikly the market adjust to an increase in price of crude oil (within a few hours to a few days), and how long it take to adjust to a decrease (almost never).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
personally i quit buying into heroscape fairly early because of how hard it was for me to find the commons i wanted.

i really like the system though, and i hope this magic version works well and is well supported and the expansions are well thought out.

it is Hasbro though so i don't have a whole lot of hope. i have the base set and expansion, but have yet to play it. got my fingers crossed that they will make common sense expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one retailer, but I've had the Zendikar expansion sitting in my CSI cart for a few days while I get around to ordering. It just got knocked off my cart this morning, presumably because they've pre-sold their expected initial stock (I've seen CSI close preorder for new items like this before).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard Hasbro cite cost as the reason for killing the game. I always heard poor sales after the move to D&D Heroscape and trying to move it into hobby stores.

Hasbro neither raised the price or changed the expansion packs on Heroscape when oil went up after Katrina hit the Gulf refineries. The expansions gave you the same number of figures and the same amount of terrain for the same price, and at least the Marrow master set seemed sufficiently big for the cost. The change in plastic hurt a bit though. The new terrain didn't lock as nicely with the original material despite being the same mold.

There were minor cost saving measures beyond that, like combining separate attack and defense die sets into a combined die like we see in Planeswalkers, but I know there was a definite decline in interest from big box stores due to the rare/uncommon mix in the expansion cases.

At least around here, (upstate and central NY) stores just stopped ordering it. I was forced to buy from my FLGS, which didn't get the price breaks big box stores got, although he did give me a nice discount. The last thing I saw at mass retail was the D&D master set. I had to buy the jungle, the "promo" wave (rock men, yetis, onxy vipers, etc) and the wave with dwarves and Mohicans from an actual game store. I don't think cost had anything to do with that. Those same big box stores with the D&D set still had lots of hero packs from 4 or 5 expansions back, but none of the newer waves.

It got to the point where I literally could not buy the game locally without a 50% markup at the FLGS, but the owner was quite frank that the markup was him needing to make a profit, not a raise in msrp. That's not rising costs killing the game (at least not in a big picture sense).

This game (Planeswalkers) is definitely about cost savings. Unpainted minis, and terrain (most heroscape terrain was 2 tone), and so much less terrain and pre-printed water. I'm not complaining about that. I'm tempted to grab an extra set to use the boards as basing for heroscape maps, or more likely to combine games. The only issue I have is that much like Heroscape, all the units in the base are unique, but with Heroscape, I got loads of terrain (at over twice the price), which gives me a lot less bang for my buck on a second copy. My sincere hope is that when we get common squads, we have a way to buy them without uniques, like maybe a boxed expansion with one or 2 commons for each color that I can just buy 2 or 3 of without creating the problem of unique hero packs clogging the shelves again.

As to the market easily adjusting up for oil, never down, I couldn't agree more. I'm pretty sure when I bought Twilight Imperium it was $69.99 msrp, compared to $99.99 now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Barlow
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walmarts near me (Virginia, USA) are already clearancing out the bonus versions of the set with the extra glyphs, terrain, foil cards, etc for $15. Not a good sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robski Horus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah but on UK Amazon there selling for over 120 uk pounds.

This game has just got its first expansion and Hasbro are promising more this year.

This game will not die this year, that was Tom just trying to influence any Hasbro chiefs who might watch his review that the game requires more to be a success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Multicron wrote:
Walmarts near me (Virginia, USA) are already clearancing out the bonus versions of the set with the extra glyphs, terrain, foil cards, etc for $15. Not a good sign.

That's not the first report of Walmart moving them out I've heard, but it always seems to be the bonus version. I wonder if they consider it a "holiday" item. My 2 local stores sold out of the bonus packs, but the shelves have been restocked several times of the "vanilla" version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bob_the_goon wrote:
Multicron wrote:

That's not the first report of Walmart moving them out I've heard, but it always seems to be the bonus version. I wonder if they consider it a "holiday" item. My 2 local stores sold out of the bonus packs, but the shelves have been restocked several times of the "vanilla" version.

And the bonus version is no longer available at walmart.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disappointed in the "bonus" personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.