6 Posts

Gumshoe» Forums » General

Subject: The Chinatown Caper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Here is what Gary Grady had to say about this planned (but never published) expansion to Gumshoe in Vol. IV No. 2 of Sleuth Times:

"Chinatown, the first Gumshoe Supplement, will be released early next year [1989]. Again the Op dives headlong into a series of cases that challenge both his endurance and his intelligence. He is pulled into the unfamiliar world of opium dens and mahjong parlors, a world where few white men go and live to tell about it. It is a world controlled by the arch villain Wu Fang whose diabolical plans are a threat to all. Yes, you can enter this world, the hardboiled world of the thirties, back when the women were all sexy, the villains were ethnic stereotypes, men were expected to drink their whiskey straight, and the ever present cigarette smoke was harmless."

Now doesn't that just make you want to cry? Where the heck did all this disappear to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really makes you wonder how far they got with writing the supplement and whether, somewhere in a drawer or filing cabinet, there's a folder full of the work in progress...

Maybe that could be your second expansion Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's quite interesting. Mild spoilers ahead.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There's definitely a bunch of clues in the base game that lead to some Chinatown locations. We went down a rabbit hole tracking down some of those clues in the book, and we never were rewarded for it in any of the Old Man's questions. I wonder if those locations would have figured in somehow to the new expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very likely, just like the East End locations included in the London Directory in SHCD which were clearly planned for the East End adventures supplement which was never released

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I currently have a copy of the first edition of the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective London Directory on delivery as part of a recent Ebay purchase. It should be arriving in a couple of days. This is the Directory that doesn't have "Second Edition" on the cover page. I'm anxious to see the differences between the original Directory and the one found in practically every copy of SHCD from the 1980s. I speculate that the 'E' and 'S' addresses planned for the East End Adventures were not in this original Directory.

I also have a copy of the first edition London map coming with the same purchase. The numbered clue locations are all in blue, instead of red, orange and yellow.

I have designed my own East End map of London - with all of the clue locations numbered as in the Directory - for a planned series of cases for SHCD dealing with the East End. I have one case outlined at present, "The East End Attacker."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that could be a fantastic addition to the supplements for SHCD as the East End opens up an entirely new, more dangerous and deprived part of London away from high society and the well known sights.

Glad to help if you need any assistance with this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.