Thumb up
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » NSW (Sydney)

Subject: Boards in Dee Why - 2016 Member Drive (Northern Beaches) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tragic TheBlathering
flag msg tools
Hi guys... it is 2016 and a whole new year of gaming is before us! To that end we are looking for new members to fill out our groups due to 2 regulars moving out of the local area.

LINK -> Boards in Dee Why

BID is a small group of gamers who live on the northern beaches. At this time we are meeting in each others houses, though the plan has always been to move to public spaces if the guild ever got large enough.

There are two separate and distinct groups. A regular weekday group and a sporadic weekend group. We mainly meet in Dee Why or Avalon on weekdays, and Dee Why or Cromer on the weekends.

Thursday - Games are Great!

Our members for Thursday are currently 3 regular and 1 intermittent. There used to be another 2, but one moved to the other side of the bridge and the other is on a years trip to Africa, and will be back in 2017.

We are looking for at least 1 more regular members for Thursday. The goal is to field 4 players every Thursday, and the occasional 5 or 6 players if everyone turns up at once.

Thursday starts at around 7-7:30 and goes till 11:30ish. While we can theoretically fit in some decent complexity games, we tend to find that after work is not always the best place for brain burners. Though we run them occasionally, we normally go for medium weight Euros or Thematic style conflict games. As well as light fast filler and finisher titles.

I have recently invested in a mesh cover system that should allow us to "save" a game between weekday session so this year we are going to experiment with games that run over multiple days. So titles like TI3 could get played on Thursday over 2 or 3 sessions.

Saturdays- Long Games are Greater!

Saturdays is a very different side of gaming. We tend to play large scale epic games, like TI3, 7Ages, 5 Plat DoA2 etc etc. These days tend to run long, sometimes form 8am to 6pm.

There is a second style for Saturday as well, when we play "normal" games but play many in a single day. This is often great as different players can show up at different times for the 2nd or 3rd game.

The epic Saturday sessions are spear headed by one of our members who is a teacher. His time is greatly affected by the school year and the HSC exams. So while the Saturday game day exists it is really dependant on who is interested in turning up.

Often mid year Saturday ends up a 1v1 day between me and whomever wishes to come and is used for card games and other great 1v1 titles that do not fit into a group dynamic. These days do not have the same length as the epic game days.

Even so, the weekend days happen as long as there is demand, and then there is a burst where one will happen every week running epic titles when the school holidays are on.

In general there is not much overlap in players between the Saturday and Thursday sessions. In some ways it is a completely separate group.

When are you free?

While we have set days and sometimes 2 sessions a week, we are open to changing the day to fit our members and even organising smaller sessions in addition.

I myself am a huge deck construction game fan. I play almost all the LCGs and a number of other similar games. There is nothing stopping people organising within the group to play such things any time they like.

There are 3 avid game collectors in the guild. Myself, the Saturday guy and one of the intermittent Thursday players. Still, like most groups everyone has a decent collection. At the time of writing my collection (which is not the largest) is around 420 titles.

The guild basically plays anything. We do have a slight turn over problem that we are trying to get a grip on were we play a new game every session, but last year introduced a guild rule to try and play a single game for a month (it is a loose rule) to slow this turn over.

We have everything from dense euro efficiency games, to dice chuckers, to thematic co-ops to cards games and more. So pretty much anything goes!

We are small, but a fun group of casual gamers that like to laugh and joke around rather then play in deep thoughtful silence. We meet in each others houses and children are welcome. There are no rules on drinking or eating at the gaming table or anything like that, but smoking is not allowed inside.

We try to keep it light as far as guild rules go. Nothing is set in stone.

I try to keep active on the guild forums, as do others and it is a great place to come and chat with us and get to know is if you are interested in trying out the group. Simply go to the guild page and join and then chat on the forums.

LINK -> Boards in Dee Why

Have fun and ROLL HIGH
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.