Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Iezzi
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering what are some games that have these types of cycles within the game that have effects on gameplay when the cycles switch. The only one I can think of offhand is Seasons but I know there are more. I've got a game I'm working on that uses a Day/Night cycle and I want to see what has already done and how it went.

So the question I have is: What are you guys' opinions on what these games did right and what they didn't do so well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morels has a day and night deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game has a day/night cycle which is well done. It's easy to track and affects gameplay but is not overly complicated and is thematic

Carnival Zombie has a cycle but I haven't played it. Would like to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign has a 24 hour cycle where the environment can change when the clock strikes 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heiser
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewolf?!! I don't like the game, but the day/night shift is done pretty well. Players actually close their eyes at night.

Didn't Fields of Arle have winter/summer?

Several games feature the 4 seasons: Walnut Grove etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Err.. Day & Night Day & Night are different cycles played by different players with asymmetric abilities...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Wilderness you're more likely to get lost if you try and travel during the night. Better off travelling at day and resting at night if you can spare the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Oni no board wrote:
Elder Sign has a 24 hour cycle where the environment can change when the clock strikes 12.

Kind of, but the 'night' cycle is a card draw. Players don't get to play or do anything during the night cycle in Elder Sign. And you only play 12 hours of each day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture is a worker placement game, where players first place any number of workers on action spaces in the Summer. Once eveyone has decided to opt out of the Summer, everyone may now place their remaining workers on the Winter spaces. The round then ends, everyone collects all their workers, and a new Summer begins. (Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture expands on this by having 4 seasons.)

Ultimately, a lot of games fit your description, though. Any game with multiple rounds divided into phases could be interpreted as having cycles. Perhaps you want to narrow it down to just games with some sort of (semi-)hidden information and/or hidden actions happening during one or more of the phases?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica has a day/night mechanism, A Castle for All Seasons uses a season mechanism to change the options available to players throughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy has Spring and Fall periods; and resource locations are only captured during "Fall".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:
Viticulture is a worker placement game, where players first place any number of workers on action spaces in the Summer. Once eveyone has decided to opt out of the Summer, everyone may now place their remaining workers on the Winter spaces. The round then ends, everyone collects all their workers, and a new Summer begins. (Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture expands on this by having 4 seasons.)

Base Viticulture also has four seasons, except you do very little in spring (wake-up/player order selection) and fall (pick a visitor card). Tuscany replaces those with actual worker placement spaces "stolen" from the two other seasons, and apart from the initial ordering, further wake-up order is decided when you pass from the winter phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Iezzi
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:

Ultimately, a lot of games fit your description, though. Any game with multiple rounds divided into phases could be interpreted as having cycles. Perhaps you want to narrow it down to just games with some sort of (semi-)hidden information and/or hidden actions happening during one or more of the phases?

Specifically games that have certain cycles in which you have restrictions on what actions you can take during each one. Or even have completely different gameplay options depending on which cycle you are in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game has a phase of the moon cycle. It affects a number of things, and seems to work fairly well.

Mage Knight Board Game has alternating day/night turns. These have noticeable affects on the game -- type of magic available, special powers in the start-order semi-auction, etc. This seems to work pretty well in the game.

Seasons has a cycling seasonal variation which changes which dice are thrown, and what mana is available. It works pretty well, though I don't much like the game.

Agricola runs through seasonal cycles, where you have to feed your people every so often. Actually, lots of games do this sort of thing, with regular "cost-accounting" of some sort happening at repeated intervals that then need to be planned for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libertalia has sunrise, daytime, dusk and night for 6 days then a day of rest repeated three times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ramble
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Snowdonia uses a weather mechanic, where your productivity changes if the turn is sunny, overcast, or raining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geikamir wrote:
holgerd wrote:

Specifically games that have certain cycles in which you have restrictions on what actions you can take during each one. Or even have completely different gameplay options depending on which cycle you are in.

I know what you mean, If you draw off the work deck you can engine build (child action = Improve your ability chart). If you draw off the Power deck you can filter your hand (child action = Improve your power cards, movement, trade).

I assume your talking about a games rules set. e.g. 3 phases. Forage, Forge, Foster. with each having depth it equates to "barrier of entry". Restated: you got these elements; Unseen rules standards = tough to learn. You could have them chose a cycle type each round (a token w/ rules on it) or have a linear cycle and have "one off" actions let you jump to a cycle types.

I think TI3 has something you pick each turn, but I think its one unique action then there are a few other common actions there after.

What I have pulled from this thread is unique turns are offten tied to strong mental models like night/day/season

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Realm I believe has a day and night phase.

Dragon Storm has a sort of night/camp phase. Ranged from as simple as resting, to things like hunting, foraging and encounters.

RuinsWorld had some very loose seasonal events.

Mythos also had a day and night cycle. But it was a factor of cards played so it could happen out of the blue.

What some do well is when there are different things to encounter depending on the time. Like more werecreatures at night and more brigainds in the day.

What some do poorly is that there really is not much difference between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Magic Realm I believe has a day and night phase.

It does, but not much happens in the night, other than sleep. Pretty much all the character movement/fighting/actions happen during the day.

What it does have is an awesome lunar cycle where at different points throughout the month, different types of magic are easier/better to cast. The game has two month groupings, with the magic in one month being different from the magic in the next month, so the 15th of a month doesn't always mean it is best for dark magic, etc... It's probably more complex than it needs to be, but it gives a nice touch since every month isn't exactly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Mythos also had a day and night cycle. But it was a factor of cards played so it could happen out of the blue.

The state cards (day/night and various weather) were interacted with by certain cards, but like most cards you wanted them out of play and into your discard pile so that you could use them to complete adventures that contained them as keywords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres a few in Mythos where you need say the moon in a certain phase out before you can play another card. So the day night cycle can be important. But its pretty chaotic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivia Dunlap
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't really say Seasons had a day/night cycle. Unless you count the seasons as functionally being the same (which they are, really).

Vampire Empire has a day/night cycle! The vampire player gets to play at night, and the human at day. There are certain things that can only be done during the night or the day, but they effectively act as the two players' turns during which they have different possible actions.

Also, this is a digital-only board game, but Armello relies extensively on the day/night cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Amburn
United States
Fort Scott
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Armello is a board game with a day/night cycle that's kind of interesting. Day you get cards and money, but night is when your magic recharges. There are also some other differences which mostly escape me at the moment, such as different characters and items having differect affinities for one or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Fish Cook, in the morning players buy ingredients in the markets; in the evening they cook using those ingredients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.