Subject: Mini Expansion : Diversions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a discussion of my Mini Expansion, you will find it in the file pages.

Here are my thoughts about the decision making when using the expansion.

Go to Satellite 76? It gives the Galactica extra fuel, food and morale which can be handy, but it extends the trip by 1 jump distance. If there is a plan to divert to New Aquaria or New Virgo then this is probably a necessary preparation. Cylon players generally probably don't want the fleet to go this way, but could use it early in the game to look more like good guys, especially if they plan to go to one of the new destinations and then reveal themselves at some cost to the fleet.

Go to New Aquaria? There is some chance that there are no Cylons active on the ship this early in the game. Heading for New Aquaria could result in a rapid human victory. However a Cylon may also desire this path to be taken, intending to reveal when you are approaching the planet, costing the Galactica in fuel and making the trip to Kobol longer. On the other hand the humans could benefit from forcing an early reveal by a Cylon. Certainly if you are one jump away from New Aquaria it will force one Cylon's hand.

Of course just trying to make the decision to divert the fleet could cost a bit in skill cards. And once the fleet is headed towards New Aquaria its time to consider throwing people in the brig so the Cylons have lest chance to ruin the gambit.

Go to New Virgo? Much the same applies to this decision as to New Aquaria except that the sleeper phase will have occurred, so all Cylons will be active. If a Cylon remains unrevealed and the humans don't think they can work out who it is and put them in the brig then the attempt is doomed but could be used to flush out a Cylon.

Destroy the Resurrection Ship? If no Cylons have been revealed this could be a winning move for the humans if its a human making the decision. The person who's turn it is will also be responsible for resolving the crisis? However the skills needed for the crisis are known in advance. Are there enough skill cards in loyal hands to pull it off. As a Cylon could you push through a folly knowing vipers will be damaged and a raptor and fuel lost?

Admiral Destination Decisions The admiral now has a new factor to consider when choosing a jump destination card, as the space jumped to can determine if a decision can even be taken. For example with the fleet on space 1, and a jump 1 and jump 2 card in hand the Admiral could pick jump 1 to allow the decision to head for New Aquaria to be considered, or jump 2 to bypass it without question.

Those are the decision factors that I have encountered so far in designing and playing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a brilliant variant, thankyou.
I'll be trying this next time I play.

The rewards for Satellite 76 might be slightly excessive though, it seemed to me that the human decision would be to always attempt this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might seem like it but the extra distance can really hurt if you don't get to one of the alternate destinations. One 6 player game the only command decision we made successfully was to go to Satellite 76 and we lost due to morale in space 7. Its just juicy enough to tempt the Cylons to screw an early skill check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
So, is the Sleeper phase triggered by total distance traveled or by the fleet's position on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, figures I missed something I should have made explicit. My play testers did just what I did and assumed that the marker for the fleet on or beyond the location marked "4" triggers the sleeper phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.