Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thiago Souza Lopes
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently started playing netrunner, and honestly, lost 20/20 games on the last 3 days. My gaming partner is also begining( we did made some mistakes about rules)

The thing is, I played Corp for the 20 games, and somehow the corp game don't seem to click with me. I improved my early game considerably, but from mid to late game the runner just stomps over me. Anarch attacks my hand from archives, Criminal just roll over with a credit making machine. My ice can't stop him and I lost everygame, and to be frank, I was not even close to win.

So, Any advice for a begginer corp player? I read that there's no stopping the runner, that we can only delay him. How can I generate more cash, expend my clicks in a more wiser way, and feel like a threat overall?

When I bait him he does'nt buy it, and the feeling is that the runner keeps getting bigger/badder and the corp is just loosing steam as the game progresses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using just the core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
I’d rather be gaming.
badge
?????
mbmbmbmbmb
keraunos wrote:

So, Any advice for a begginer corp player? I read that there's no stopping the runner, that we can only delay him. How can I generate more cash, expend my clicks in a more wiser way, and feel like a threat overall?

When I bait him he does'nt buy it, and the feeling is that the runner keeps getting bigger/badder and the corp is just loosing steam as the game progresses.

You have captured the general tempo of Netrunner. Netrunner is divided into early, mid, and late game. The runner has the advantage in the early game, as they can run naked and the corp doesn't have the economy and cards to protect everything. The mid game is the corp advantage - the corp has some defenses up, and the runner must dig or search for the tools needed to crack servers (i.e. icebreakers). The late game then shifts back to the runner, as money and rig means the runner can get in anywhere (excepting cards like Ash and Caprice Nisei that can keep the runner out anyway). The general desire of a corp is to extend the midgame as long as possible, or use tricks to push the game in certain directions (such as meat damage).

My first tip would be play runner. Get the feeling for the other side, understand the anxiety of the unknown. Is that a Junebug or an agenda? Can I afford to break that innermost ice on that remote? This can help with increasing your corp aggression.

My next tip would be to switch up your corp strategy. Each faction in the core set is going to be a bit different.

HB is typically working up deep servers and money, and sometimes using Biotic Labor to score from hand. Their bioroids aren't great early (as they can be broken with clicks), but can hit the runner's tempo hard and become taxing when stacked.

Jinteki is an attrition game, maybe looking for a flatline. You want to trap the runner. Scorched Earth is a great splash to punish the runner for hitting Snare on click 4. Perhaps the hardest to play out of the core.

NBN usually imports Scorched Earth for tag punishment, and can also be aggressive with a "never advance" strategy where they just play out unadvanced cards into a remote. This really forces the runner to think - is it an Astroscript Pilot Program that the corp can score next turn? Is it a SanSan City Grid that the corp can use to score an Astro next turn? Is it a Snare!? Is it a Melange Mining Corp. for $$$? All of these option can be good, and the runner may not know.

Weyland gets to pack the Scorched Earth plan easily, but needs to import the tagging from NBN + Snare! to make it stick. Once the W has an economic lead on the runner, you can force out agendas, representing the SEA Source + double Scorched Earth win if the runner has to spend too much cash getting in. Archer + Hostile Takeover is a fantastic combo.

Hope this diatribe helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
the corp is widely known to be very weak out of the core set. they're in a much better place now. Lukas, the ex-lead designer of the game said that the mumbad cycle will see a bigger bump in good cards for runner side than the corp because corps are getting really strong.

I would get the Genesis cycle and opening moves for Jackson Howard. he was printed for the sole purpose of fixing the design flaw that allows corps to get flooded with angendas in hand with nothing they can do about it.

Ash is in the first data pack ever and offers corps some much needed agenda protection as long as you can stay richer than the runner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advices:
Check once again if you got all the rules right, maybe watch some games on youtube or ask a experienced player to play with you on jinteki.net or OCTGN to check if you play right.

Play HB or Wayland. Core NBN is not very strong, and Jinteki needs some skills.

Change sides and see how it goes. Maybe your partner will have the same problem or maybe he won't? Maybe he'll make you see how to play as Corp. Also getting experience with playing runner is helpful for playing corp. You'll see runners weaknesses from the inside, you'll know runners doubts and fears.

But the fact is that the runners are easier to play and more powerful as it goes for core set. Use runners weakneses (slow set up, lack of knowlage about corps facedown cards) and try to lure them into traps or meaningless yet expensive runs, just to play agenda in your scoring server next turn, after they spent all their credits. Also try to install and score agendas in the same turn (with Biotic Labor or SanSan City Grid). In general this is how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Souza Lopes
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using only the starter decks...Made a little tinkering with a mixed Leyland and NBN cards, but still got Steamrolled like a chump...surprise

I'm having problems with:

Maintaining momentum
Maintaining a good economy
Posing a threat for the Runner
Forcing him to run

The last one is key...I usually don't score fast. Should I do it? I read somewhere that corp shouldn't fast advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kern
Germany
Gernsheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donmakaron wrote:
My advices:
Change sides and see how it goes. Maybe your partner will have the same problem or maybe he won't? Maybe he'll make you see how to play as Corp. Also getting experience with playing runner is helpful for playing corp. You'll see runners weaknesses from the inside, you'll know runners doubts and fears.

This! It will open your Eyes. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mayhemnc wrote:
donmakaron wrote:
My advices:

This is the most important thing to do. Netrunner is best played as a "match" where players each take turns playing both sides. That's not to say you have to do this all the time, but the best way to see the holes in your corp game is to play the runner.

I would also add that the corp is at a significant disadvantage with just the core set, so that has an impact as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I would also add that the corp is at a significant disadvantage with just the core set, so that has an impact as well.

With the one specific exception of murder decks. The Posted Bounty + SEA Source Sophie's Choice to set up the tag for Scorched Earth is RIDICULOUSLY strong when the Runner doesn't have Plascrete Carapace available (which is in the very first data pack). If you feel like you want to threaten the Runner, that's an awfully good way to do it.

Learning to masquerade the threat of Posted Bounty + Scorched vs Priority Requisition + Archer is a really good exercise in learning some essential Corp skills too, and Archer is probably tied with Snare for the 2nd most threatening card in Core. Learn how to do this well and you'd probably enjoy having 1-2 Aggressive Secretaries in the deck too. That can be another game-ending card, if you're looking to make real threats on the Runner.

Fond memories; there's an awful lot of Netrunner just in that core box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
keraunos wrote:

This is one very specific thing that you'll learn to take advantage of if you switch sides and play Runner. When you play Runner, the Corp looks a lot more threatening because you're not party to the same information that Corp is.

If the Runner doesn't bite when you bait him, you're probably giving up some tell that lets him know when he should be biting. The most common one is to only install and advance agendas when you think you have the board state locked up and are "safe", but the Runner has cards for dealing with that specific situation (Inside Job and Stimhack, for instance).

When you play Runner, you'll start analyzing what possible threats you might run into if you do or don't make a run in various situations. That skill is important to develop, not just for your Runner game, but for your Corp game as well. When you know how the Runner analyzes your board state, then you can do a better job of purposefully obfuscating which threats you have. At that point, you'll be able to start making more aggressive plays where you represent safety that you don't actually have and be able to score against the Runner to punish being over-cautious. When the Runner starts seeing this happening, he will either start losing (because you're scoring points) or become more aggressive in response, which in turn enables the bait plays.

All of that being said, this is probably the most significant weakness in the Corp game from the big box. "Remote control" archetypal play is very strong for the Runner because many of the best mechanisms for discouraging it didn't come out until later in the data packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mayhemnc wrote:
donmakaron wrote:
My advices:

Agree. Change sides. You can't just play Corp or Runner. You need to play both to really understand the game. It will immensely help you improve and learn things that will be applicable on both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a FLGS where there's an ANR group nearby, see if the more experienced players will sit with you as you play.

I know I was still making basic mistakes with regards to timing structure months into it, and playing a variety of patient and very skilled opponents ironed out some of my wrinkles.

All the advice here rings true - don't just play one side. You can't if you're going to get good at either. Learn when to rez and when not to, just as the Runner learns not to waste time solving problems he doesn't have yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keraunos wrote:
I'm using only the starter decks...Made a little tinkering with a mixed Leyland and NBN cards, but still got Steamrolled like a chump...surprise

I'm having problems with:

Maintaining momentum
Maintaining a good economy
Posing a threat for the Runner
Forcing him to run

The last one is key...I usually don't score fast. Should I do it? I read somewhere that corp shouldn't fast advance.

I also think you should play as runner for a bit, this is always good advice.

What are you spending money on as corp? I think that a common "mistake" as a beginner is to think that you should ALWAYS rez ice and this certainly isn't the case. Sometimes you really don't have to rez anything if there is nothing of value to you in the server they are running (for example, if they run HQ and there are no agendas or important assets, maybe you don't need to rez ICE). Sometimes it is a calculated risk to not rez ICE on R n'D to save money for something else. Not rezzing ICE until you really need to is also important in that you're not giving the runner any information for "free" so to speak.

You can't really force the runner to run but look at it this way, if he isn't running, he certainly isn't winning. Maybe that is the time for you score out agendas? Learn to recognize scoring windows - pay attention to his economy. You should know how much money it would take for him to get into your servers and act accordingly. It might be a good idea to practice fast advancing stuff.

Maintaing a good economy comes down to knowing when to spend your money as well as knowing how you want to spend it (i.e: if you have a combo you want to play, make sure you have enough to do it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keraunos wrote:
lost 20/20 games on the last 3 days. My gaming partner is also begining( we did made some mistakes about rules)

The thing is, I played Corp for the 20 games, and somehow the corp game don't seem to click with me.

You played 20 games against the same player who is also new to the game. You were the corporation for every game. And you lost every game. Is this right? If that's the case, I guarantee that you are still playing at least one rule wrong. Before you go banging your head against a wall another 20 times, read that rule book again. Have your friend read the rule book. Make sure you are not making some small, but critical error. Here's a few rules to look out for:

- Once ICE is rezzed, it stays rezzed. It doesn't derez after the encounter.

- The corporation isn't required to rez an encountered piece of ICE even if he has the money.

- The runner must first pay to boost the strength of his ICE-breaker before breaking subroutines.

- Breaking all the subroutines on a piece of ICE doesn't cause that ICE to be trashed or derezzed. The Runner must deal with that ICE every run.

- Assets, Agendas, and Upgrades are installed facedown in remotes. There is a window of opportunity for you to rez these cards *before* the start of your turn. This allows you to install a Pad Campaign facedown during your turn, hope the Runner runs it on his turn, then rez it before the beginning of your turn to earn the credits from it that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Blackburn
msg tools
I played for the first time last night and I played as the Corp as well; however, I won. The reason I think I won was that the Runner who was playing against me was also new and a bit scared not knowing what would happen if he made too many runs. But I also feel like my strategy worked on him a bit. I could be wrong though I am new...

I played with the base Jinteki deck. I found that one important thing to do was to work on installing a good Ice combo into your first remote server, R&D, and hand before installing a second remote server. I didn't even bother trying to get Advancement tokens on my first agenda (that was installed in my first remote server.) I also made sure to have enough credits at all time to Rez my most expensive piece of Ice, even if that meant wasting an entire 3 click turn on credits. Above all of this, the most important thing I noted was the programs, hardware, and resources that the runner had installed. If the runner had a Barrier Icebreaker, I tried not to install barriers and if I did there would be a second piece of Ice after it that had a higher strength and could potentially screw the runner by luring him in with that Barrier.

Once I had a few agendas, traps, etc. installed in the Remote Servers, and they were all fully protected, then I started advancing my agendas. And I would advance them as quickly as possible. So laying down a cheap agenda with low advancement points was key as I could spend 3 clicks and 3 credits to advance it in a turn... (unless that's against the rules...) A big part of what got my runner was that my Ice was expensive for him to break or too strong for him to manage.

We ended the game with 4 agenda points against 7. He scored four because I failed to see the need for protecting my R&D with more than 1 piece of Ice, until he started using cards that allowed 3 pulls from R&D.

I don't know if this is actually good strategy, anyone can critique me but it worked in my case which may have fell upon the runner error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the core set Jinteki ID, you're going to want to play the "Jinteki Shell Game." There are cards in later packs that make this more viable (On access traps like Psychic Field) and also more 1 point agendas. Put them down with no ICE, or something cheap if you want to gearcheck them (Ice Wall) Shell game works well with "1000 cuts style" play. You want them to take Agendas, to set up the scoring of the Philotic Entanglement you've had on the table the whole game.

Don't worry about heavily icing scoring remotes as Jinteki - that's not really your game and it will make you go broke in a hurry as the economy in core set PE frankly...sucks. You never want to go below four credits, because Snare! is your game-ender. You want a Maker's Eye run to hit two Agendas and then a Snare! (If you have Fetal AI, even better.)

Unfortunately, you'll notice I've named a few cards you don't have. Jinteki PE Thousand Cuts/Shell Game gets exponentially better with the deluxe Honor and Profit pack, and Fetal AI does wonders for it. Gila Hands Arco / Chronos Project / Fetal AI / Profiteering / House of Knives are the best agendas for that deck in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.