Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Next Expansion speculation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first we got a Tatooine expansion (Episode IV).
Then we got a Hoth Expansion (From Episode V).

So, could the next expansion be an Endor Expansion? (Episode VI) whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What, and skip Cloud City???

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd figure a Scum-centric expansion with a rancor in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we'll get a Cloud City mini-expansion (like Shadows) and later a big-box Endor expansion (yay Ewok hero!!)...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think there's a good chance of some Force Awakened tie-in material (i.e. a new stand-alone set), since that movie seems to be doing pretty well (dunno if you've heard).

Otherwise: Cloud City with Lando!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I really hope they make a Cloud City expansion! That would be epic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Kuijs
msg tools
mbmb
There is a cloud city map in the hoth expansion i think endor big box Will be more likely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ringlstetter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think an endor expansion is more likely. Although I'm hoping for Lando as an ally pack, as he is a major character in the films.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray MacPherson
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mb
Although there is a Cloud City map in RtH I suspect with the next expansions being a small box expansion it will add in a lot more Cloud City stuff. Then as ally/villian packs its bound to come with Lando and another bounty hunter such as Bosc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared I
United States
Edwards AFB
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think we will ever see The Emperor and Yoda in this game?

They are very popular, but it would be so out of character for them to be out in the field.

The new Bantha Rider and its command cards make me very hopeful that we will see a Rancor. "Crush" in particular.

My guess echos others- small box Cloud City, big box Endor.

Hopefully we get the announcement soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay Red Eye wrote:
Do you think we will ever see The Emperor and Yoda in this game?

Well, if we get an Endor expansion we'll get a jungle setting.
So I guess those tiles could be used to make a Dagobah level...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:

A Scum-centric expansion where the majority of enemies are Scum, missions involve the Rebels primarily dealing with Scum rather than Imperial targets would be neat. Maybe a Shadows of the Empire campaign?

I agree though that small-box Cloud City, big-box Endor seems most likely... Although surely a Jabba's Palace-centric expansion will fit in there somewhere?

I would love to see a Dark Forces expansion as the 3rd big box with Jan and Kyle allies, Jerec's minions, etc...

I'm sure the TFA tie-in is coming eventually, but I'm not sure the "new" universe is fleshed out enough yet. I'd honestly like FFG to hold off a bit until we have some more background. (The X-Wing expansions mostly work because the game isn't as story-centric as IA, but even they feel a bit flat due to the lack of thematic and flavor ties)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chronob64
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when they announced the Hoth expansion they said "They hated to be obvious, but they just had to do Hoth." I think with the next expansion they won't just continue on with ESB or RotJ.

They will probably want to add tiles to the game with a different environment. Maybe they will go with a Lava planet like Mustafar? Maybe the Coruscant underworld?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneurin Kennerley
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All pure guess work (my fantasies probably) but...

I think we will see a small box expansion in around 6 months - 'In the clouds' which will be set on the Tabanna gas stations (Bespin)... trying get or secure this resource for the rebellion... it will introduce Lando, Lobot, Bespin City Guards, Boosk or Greedo... and some shadow-troopers for the empire... mini campaign will bring in Boba Fett again to work alongside the other bounty hunters we will now have.

Following that - another mini/micro expansion that will allow you to take 1 character on a Jedi path - perhaps based around the time between ESB and ROTJ - it will re-introduce Luke (now with a lightsabre) and you will help him build his sabre - maybe - missions to find the crystals etc - which starts you on your own Jedi training path... this will be a new side mission mechanic similar to the Bane/Boon ones we saw in RtH.

The next big box will be based around the time of tFA I think. Seems obvious - cash in on the films success. More dessert planet - junk yards - swallowing sands etc. More snow planet to represent StarKiller base... we have enough for Tenokka (Maz's bar)... maybe 1 or 2 more tiles. I think the Rancor will appear here as the big model.

Then perhaps a big box which switches the game up so the Empire or Scum can be the 'heroes'. All about building the first Death star... working for Grand Moff Tarkin - Vader will occasionally appear. Missions where you try and stop Bothan Spies from stealing data plans? Perhaps Obi-wan could be the main enemy? You have to try and hunt him down on Tatooine?

Then a RotJ box - we will finally see Yoda and Palpatine and it will build in more force powers/training introduced by the micro expansion.

What I'm not looking forward to is when they bring in Star wars rebels. Its happening in X-wing so bound to see Ezra, Kanan and the female Boba Fett show up at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
Sarcasmorator wrote:

I think they'll aim for something like this with the focus on Skirmish.

They did the same with X-Wing, adding a Scum faction for 3-way skirmishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Q
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure cloud city will be the next small box expansion. Twin shadows was more of a made up in between movie expansion and since cloud city was in Empire Strikes Back and is represented in a tiny way in the Hoth expansion, can't see cloud city in the mix.

Cloud city also focused on the hero allies with few extras other than Lando(more on him later), so I'm not sure how IA could fit a group of support heroes helping Luke and gang in the mix. No other rebels are really around and technically Han is getting encased in carbonite and Luke fights Daddy while our heroes are revisiting Hoth, so thematically cloud city doesn't really make sense either.

I'm going with a small expansion that'll be made up completely like Twin Shadows was.

After, I think we'll see a ROTJ big box expansion that will feature Lando, revamped Luke (he can't compete with Vader now so no way he could deal with the Emperor too), Emperor, maybe Jabba, rancor, hopefully gamorrean guards!

Be really interesting to see how they manage Luke by himself vs. Vader and the Emperor...All I can think of is that they have the Endor/Ewok battle going on with heroes for half the board and Luke/Vader/Emperor happening simultaneously.

IA mission builder like Descent 2e needs to happen asap too. Far too many creative minds out there for this not to be a huge success.

I'd love to see a new big box campaign with some imperial hero cards and minis to be able to play as the bad guys!

I expect to see a Star Wars Force Awakens core game with IA rules as the engine and basically start all over again in 2 years or so. They shall not get my money for this though...no they won't...no...okay how much?

Haven't played Hoth yet as I'm running core and twin shadows simultaneously with groups, but after reading through some missions I'm very excited for the future of this game. The designers are getting creative with missions in the Hoth expansion and they seem to put more pressure on the Imperials having to race for objectives as opposed to just stall and/or kill the rebels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping for a Jabba's palace mini-expansion (so many cool bounty hunters and species you don't see anywhere else in the movies).

Also, if they did Lando in a cloud city mini-exp do you think they would have two versions of him for the campaign (imperial and rebel?) Or maybe a deployment card that flips back-and-forth from imperial to rebel depending on triggers within a mission? I think that would be a neat way to explore his opportunistic nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping for Cloud City. Lando, Ugnaughts, and Willrow Hood? What's not to love?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christensen
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm thinking a small box expansion that covers some remote place like Dantooine. We know that the Imperials go to Dantooine and find an abandoned Rebel base. Seems like a good place to use in IA campaign setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
You could swing a Epsiode VII wave.

First Order Stormtrooper
Resistance Troopers
Finn
Rei (Ray, Rae?)
Kylo Ren
That badass electro-tonfa wielding Stormtrooper.

Seriously, how is there not a clamoring for that tonfa trooper.

Realistically, I'm not sure what a Cloud City wave would entail. you have Lando and I guess the scrappers that take 3PO apart. So I'm going to guess an Endor wave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lobot, of course! (We'd better get a Lobot...)

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
You could swing a Epsiode VII wave.

Realistically, I'm not sure what a Cloud City wave would entail. you have Lando and I guess the scrappers that take 3PO apart. So I'm going to guess an Endor wave.

Endor I can see for a big box expansion of some kind. Or perhaps even a Yavin IV, Kashyyk or similar jungle planet.

As for Force Awakens Material, I hope that FFG do NOT do a big box expansion for it. I would prefer it if Force Awakens was it's own Core Box, similar to it's treatment for Star Wars X-Wing. That way the figures are all compatible in Skirmish, without interfering with Imperial Assault Overall.

With the way the timeline cards work in campaigns (been a while since I looked that up actually, will need to refresh myself soon), it would just make sense to have Force Awakens be it's own separate yet compatible product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
A Coruscant campaign would be cool. It was a planet of the rich so there is a possibility of so many cool tiles... And it really makes sense for the rebels to do undercover operations there.

I do not see any point anyone returning to Endor. It is very likely the planet ecosystem died after the episode 6 final celebration as soon as the remains of the Death star started to fall to the planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:
I do not see any point anyone returning to Endor. It is very likely the planet ecosystem died after the episode 6 final celebration as soon as the remains of the Death star started to fall to the planet.

Endor is the moon, so there's a good chance the debris would have largely fallen elsewhere. Though the debris scattered from the explosion should have been like shooting a cosmic shotgun at everything in the vicinity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.