Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I brought out the game much to the approval of my small group of three gamers (including myself), which praised the nice box cover, interesting concept and the ok gameboard.

The identity cards (which we got to pick) added to the intrigue, as each player read out their agent's permitted rule breaking (e.g. stealing, running, opening gates, hoarding, etc).

The two dice were rolled and the game was on!

It didn't take long to see, however, that nothing much happens in this game unless one of the non non-permitted rules of the Casbah are broken. The problem with this is there was really no incentive to break them in the first place!

So the rules of the Casbah were never broken, which means there were never any chases.

The players simply picked up the jewels and carted them off to the exit like over-ripe melons.

That was it!

We stopped mid-way through the game when I was forced to spout, "What is the point of all this?". The girl present said "I was just thinking that very same thing!"

Finally, I was forced to admit I had never actually played the game and that I had used my two friends as guinea pigs to play test it. I don't think they will be playing any another games with me for a while.

Thanks 'Escape From the Casbah'!

I was, in fact, so dumbfounded by the play that I began to suspect I had misread the rules. So I went home and read them again and played the game once more. You know what, we had followed the rules to the letter.

Now following the rules to the letter, as you can see, is not recommended for this game.

I am surprised Selchow & Righter did not play-test this thing before putting it on the market.

What a let down!

I do think the design of the game is nice and intriguing, but you will have to come up with house rules for this one!

angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Borick
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
Re:Session Report
AlanMorillo (#20478),
We haven't played that game in years and years, but it was one of our favorites in the past. The idea is TO break the rules, when it is convenient. Which we did quite often. After serving your time in the slammer, each of us would come out and say that we were turning over an new leaf and would not stray in the future. Nothing but the straight and true. Of course that would last a few rolls and we would be back breaking the rules and going through great chases. Unfortunately we do not have the game anymore. I would love to play it again. Alan, give it one more try, I think you will find it is a lot of fun. It is one of the few if not only games that has rules, but you can break the rules within the confines of the game. Running (doubling the die count), hoarding (holding more than on jewel) and the like may be followed with impunity or you could just live a little and go for all the rule breaking you could come up with. Another note is that the highest priced jewels are at the far end of the Casbah. Lots of strategy to get there and back without having another agent steal from you or have the police sack you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.