Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'm playing my fourth game of PoG and am still making rules mistakes. To try to help me get things straight I've gone through some play examples in detail. The following have confused me. I'm working from the latest rules dated 2010.

Question 1: On p27 the RU play the Pleve CC during a fight, which they win by inflicting 4 losses compared with the CP 2 losses inflicted, yet they discard the Pleve CC "because it is marked with an '*' and was played as an Event."

Does this mean that only Combat Cards without an '*' remain face up in front of a player after a successful combat? That's not stated in the rules. I assumed that the card would stay face up, then when it was finally discarded during a failed combat would go out of the game rather than being returned to the discard pile.

Question 2: In an example pro-game log file the following battle takes place

Pro Game: Turn-by-turn Logfile and Maps wrote:
The Central Powers attacks Verdun
Attacking Units:
GE 3rd 5-3-3 (Sedan)
GE 2nd 5-3-3 (Sedan)
GE 5th 5-3-3 (Metz)

Defending Units: (Verdun(3), trench 1)
(FR 3rd) 2-3-3 (Verdun)
FR 4th 3-3-3 (Verdun)

Army 12-14 vs. Army 9-11, before CCs

Central Powers attack on Verdun, Army 12-14:
** die roll: 5 -- a LF of 7 **
Allied defense of Verdun, Army 9-11:
** die roll: 3 -- a LF of 4 **

The Central Powers wins the Battle of Verdun, 7-4.

(FR 3rd) in Verdun is removed, replaced by FR corps
FR 4th in Verdun is flipped
FR corps in Verdun is flipped

GE 5th in Metz is flipped
To cancel retreat,
FR 4th in Verdun is flipped
FR corps in Verdun is flipped and removed

Why are two units flipped by the French to cancel the retreat?
According to the rules
Paths of Glory rules 12.5.3 wrote:
Defending units in Trenches, Forests, Deserts, Mountains, or Swamps may cho[o]se to ignore a retreat by taking one additional step loss. This is not just an increase in the Loss Number. The step loss may be taken from any defending unit. One additional loss cancels the retreat, regardless of the number of retreat spaces required, provided at least one defending step remains after the additional loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1:
All the cards with "*" are removed after played as an event, even combat cards. So even if you win the battle the card is removed.

Edit:
Quote:
9.5.4.2 If a player plays a Combat Event Card(s) and wins the
Combat, the player places the Combat Event Card(s) face up on
his side of the map. Exceptions: Combat cards that state “May
only be used in one combat per turn” and “*” must be discarded
or removed, respectively, from the game immediately after the
combat in which they are used, even if the player wins

Question 2:
It is an error, because if you look closely the FR 4th was already flipped on the last step and you can't flip it twice . Remove that line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
slashing wrote:
Question 1: [...] Does this mean that only Combat Cards without an '*' remain face up in front of a player after a successful combat?

Correct, see 9.5.4.2: "If a player plays a Combat Event Card(s) and wins the Combat, the player places the Combat Event Card(s) face up on his side of the map. Exceptions: Combat cards that state “May only be used in one combat per turn” and “*” must be discarded or removed, respectively, from the game immediately after the combat in which they are used, even if the player wins."

slashing wrote:
Question 2: [...] Why are two units flipped by the French to cancel the retreat?

That seems to be a mistake. As you cite, one step loss is enough to cancel the retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Brilliant. Thanks both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.