Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » Variants

Subject: Scenario Idea: Christopher Columbus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Trodler
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Caverna: The Cave Farmers fanMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Slay the Spire fanMicrobadge: Les Poilus fanMicrobadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fan
Hello there,

during holidays I had the idea to design a new scenario for Robinson. I didn't test it yet because can't find the blank sheets on the web. Wasn't there a fan designer kit on the old portal site? Thanks if you can help me.

[UPDATE: I made it! This is the latest version.]
From gallery of jonasg

Anyways, here is my scenario idea:

You play Christopher Columbus when he first discovers the new world. You have proved that the world is round - this is no other place than India! Now you are desperate to find indian spices and treasures that you can bring to your queen. Maybe the inhabitants can help you. You have to stay at your ship and repair it, but still explore new places...

Goal of the Scenario:
You can sail home (and win the game) at the end of the round when you meet all of these conditons:
Make 3 discoveries (3 blue cubes),
talk to the natives (1 red cube) and
repair your ship (palisade level 2).

Rounds:
There are 8 rounds to play. From round 5-8, throw the red animal die (maybe orange weather instead).

Setup Rules:
Start with a built camp.
Place the Beach tile on the middle rightmost island space.
Place the camp tile (or the ship from "Voyage of the Beagle") on the space right next to it (that is not outlined completely).
Place 3 blue (discovery) cubes on the leftmost island spaces.
Place the 1,2,... tokens on the Natives track and place the red (native) cube on the "1" token.

Special Rules:
Your camp is your ship: The 3 spaces on the right of the island that are not completely outlined are water spaces. Your camp (ship) can only be on these spaces. During the Production phase, gather 2 ressources of your choice from adjacent island tiles. When you move your camp, you don't suffer any consequences.
Making a discovery: When you successfully explore a space with a blue (discovery) cube on it, place the cube on the scenario sheet. On a tile with a red (native) cube on it, perform a special discovery action to place it on the scenario sheet.
Loot for the queen: When you draw a Treasure, you may ignore its effect and discard it to take a blue (discovery) cube.

Book Symbol:
(There is a Natives track with the numbers from 1-6 for the green tokens)
Place the red (native) cube on the token with the subsequent number.

Totem Symbol:
Place the 1,2,... token on this tile, including the red (native) cube if it is on the token. If you explored this tile using the map, dog, horse or indian horse, resolve the night phase outside the camp.

Discovery tokens:
Indian Spices: 1 blue cube or +2 moral.
Indian Tent: 1 blue cube or 2 fur.
Indian Horse: Ignore distance to the camp for one action.
Indian Leather: +1 Palisade strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique de Hoyos
msg tools
link: http://geekdo.com/filepage/87083/scenario-sheet

There is the Sheet. I hope that your Idea becaome on reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game World
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah
New York
flag msg tools
badge
BGG is my secret place of fun
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Fief fanMicrobadge: El Grande fanMicrobadge: Tzolk'in fan - Crystal Skull Microbadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fan
It sounds interesting
Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Trodler
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Caverna: The Cave Farmers fanMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Slay the Spire fanMicrobadge: Les Poilus fanMicrobadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fan
Thank you!
Here it is:
From gallery of jonasg

Should there be a special invention?
Or rather a VP chart? I personally don't count VP, I'm happy enough to come through and survive.

I will test it someday. You are welcome to playtest as well. Any feedback appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Vampire: The Eternal Struggle fanMicrobadge: Clans of Caledonia fanMicrobadge: Tzolk'in fan - Crystal Skull Microbadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I like the idea of playing Columbus.
Did you play it? Seems veeery easy. You just need to make exploration actions and few building actions to win it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Trodler
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
No, but I will play it this week.
Maybe you have missed my main design idea: The camp has to be on the right side of the map for the whole scenario. This makes it very hard to reach out for these blue token tiles, you will need 3-5 workers for each exploration action there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Vampire: The Eternal Struggle fanMicrobadge: Clans of Caledonia fanMicrobadge: Tzolk'in fan - Crystal Skull Microbadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I took it into consideration. Still seems easy as you don't have many more isues to worry about. Shelter is ready, weather is not a problem, events with book ikons just mean that you have to explore a lot, which you're going to do anyway to get those blue cubes. Of course it's hard to tell for sure without playing it. Still I like general theme idea about playing Columbus discovering a new land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
alek2 wrote:
I took it into consideration. Still seems easy as you don't have many more isues to worry about. Shelter is ready, weather is not a problem, events with book ikons just mean that you have to explore a lot, which you're going to do anyway to get those blue cubes. Of course it's hard to tell for sure without playing it. Still I like general theme idea about playing Columbus discovering a new land.
If it proves too easy, you could have the natives go hostile for some reason (or for no reason ).

I am pretty sure the settlement Colombus left behind after his first voyage, was attacked and all were killed - this could have started earlier, when Colombus was still there. Perhaps both because of something random - like exploring a bad tile with hostile natives (go though the treasure deck after the first card with a beast icon or trap - something like that). Or it could also happen if the player chooses to take "loot for the queen".

That gives another idea for a Colombus scenario. One reason he left behind a settlement, was because one of his three ships sank. Or at least couldn't be repaired enough. Perhaps the later because he ended up with too many men to take back on just two ships. So a scenario could be to build the settlement up with palisades, roof and store some food there and on you two ships. Or maybe it'll get too similar with Family scenario (the one where you cannot leave) - though you could just take a few things from that. Here you would leave - with a set deadline, since you need to leave in the Fall when the win will take you back to Europe (I think the wind is at least best that time of year or going east while it is better in the spring for a western voyage - could be researched into).

Thematic flaw: No matter what you really must remove the Indian Horse, since there were no horses left in the Americas when Colombus arrived (an earlier and probably smaller version of the horse had lived on at least one of the continents, but it had extinct). They only got there again when the Spanish left their horses behind after exploration and plundering - these then became the indian horses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Trodler
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Hey there!
After the first play, I can say that alek2 was right. The game was finished in round 6. Way too easy (though one character almost died). So thank you. Thanks also to Randor20 for the thematic input, this is very important to me. I tried to put it all together in the second version:

From gallery of jonasg

Most important changes:

- The goal is now to gather 5 goods for the old world and to build a fortress of strength 2.
- You get the goods by a special gathering action that must be performed on the tile with the Natives (red cube).
- From round 5, the Natives go hostile. They attack in weather phase, you have to avoid them when you find their camps, and you have to fight if you want their goods.
- The invention is now a tent that you can take with you for nights outside the camp.
- The non-existent indian horse became a wandering native who can help you out once.
- Added a VP chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Seems much better (harder) now. One more comment. Tent description is very confusing without further explanation about spending nights outside of camp which is lacking on scenario sheet. Nice scenario!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Trodler
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
This is how the tent is meant to work:
Since you don't use the camp token like usually, you get it when you build the tent. During Action planning phase, one character can take this token. This means that during the night phase, he has got guaranteed shelter. If it occurs that this character is not in the camp during the night phase, he will usually get 2 wounds instead of 3. He still has nothing to eat but he has a place to sleep.

I'm open for suggestions. Is there a more intuitive way to rule this? Or do you think this is too weak and you should be able to take some food with you when using the tent (i.e. 0 wounds instead of 3)? Maybe 1 fur as cost would be more flavourful than the rope?

Also maybe it would be nice to have a little more pressure at the start of the scenario. By design, this is the space that is filled by having to build a shelter.
But I wanted the shelter to be built from the start because otherwise it would be confusing when you use the ship instead of the camp token. Also, it makes sense thematically because your ship is still a good place to sleep.
So, what do you mean about starting shelter? Or do you like the idea that at the start everything is quite easy but in the second half of the game it gets very hard?

The trading rule could also be phrased a bit more mechanically, like this:
"The (totem symbol) with (red cube) produces (blue cube) that you can gather only with a (gathering symbol) action on this tile. After round 4..."
Maybe this would make it clearer how the action interacts with gathering event cards (totem=source, blue cube=ressource). Or do you prefer the current wording?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
I just meant that looking on the scenario sheet alone, tent desciption is confusing. I understand your rulling but it would be best to have it clearly desribed in scenario so players don't have to look on the forum for it. Or just invent something else that wouldn't require extra explanations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Parent of Four GirlsMicrobadge: School TeacherMicrobadge: Plays Games with Children
alek2 wrote:
I just meant that looking on the scenario sheet alone, tent desciption is confusing. I understand your rulling but it would be best to have it clearly desribed in scenario so players don't have to look on the forum for it. Or just invent something else that wouldn't require extra explanations.
I want to print this one full color, but I agree with this↑.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Trodler
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Cool, thanks!
Here you are:
From gallery of jonasg

And for other Germans out here: I posted a German version in the Pegasus forums.
http://www.foren.pegasus.de/foren/topic/26050-eigenes-szenar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno van Mark
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fan
Super! Danke! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Parent of Four GirlsMicrobadge: School TeacherMicrobadge: Plays Games with Children
Perhaps it could be added to this geeklist: Scenarios available on BGG for 'Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Trodler
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Oh thanks, I didn't know that list. Just added it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for sharing your scenario, Jonas.

To be sure :

- I can move the ship all around the island, right ? Or just to the spaces adjacent to the beach ?

- Can I build a roof ? (it could rain, due to event cards)

- Where shall I build the fortress ? Does it matter ? Is there a difference between the fortress and the palisade ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Trodler
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
- I can move the ship all around the island, right ? Or just to the spaces adjacent to the beach ?
No, only to the spaces on the "east coast".

Quote:
- Can I build a roof ? (it could rain, due to event cards)
Sure!

Quote:
- Where shall I build the fortress ? Does it matter ? Is there a difference between the fortress and the palisade ?
The fortress is represented by your palisade strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Trodler
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Here is a new version.

From gallery of jonasg

Major changes:
- Introduced a special "Trading" Action (rather than Gathering action for blue cubes).
- When exploring an Indian camp, now you have the option to stay there over night. This means you get a free Trading Action, but the night phase is resolved outside the camp.
- The tent can protect you completely for nights outside the camp. When you take it with you, you have shelter and can take food with you. But it is more expensive now.
- To clarify the "east coast problem" I marked the spaces with an Anchor symbol.

I'm still looking forward to more feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was trololol'ed in 2010Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Don't forget to add in the smallpox-laced blankets he handed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Innovation Deluxe fanMicrobadge: Fields of Arle fanMicrobadge: Steam: Rails to Riches fanMicrobadge: Star Realms fan
This looks like a fun scenario. Thanks for sharing.

A few suggestions:
1. Ressources-> Resources (lower left)
2. I was confused by the wording over the 3pre-positioned tiles. Maybe: "You will be able to explore these tiles when they are connected by other tiles to your camp"
3. What is the natives track? Is that the sequence of 1,2,3... in the tribal chants box? Label it. What happens once you get to 6. Does it stay at 6? Do you take wound for an unfulfilled demand?
4. Tribal chants: It wasn't clear that you need to advance red markers on both the track and to the next numbered tile (if present).
5. When revealing a tile with Indian camp: "Place the 1,2 token" -> "Place the next 1,2,... token on the tile, and add [red] to tile if that number is indicated on the native track"
6. How do you mark your camp? You use the shelter token for the tent. Some people might erroneously use the shelter token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Trodler
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for your suggestions!

DreadArkive wrote:
Don't forget to add in the smallpox-laced blankets he handed out.
I didn't know that as well. Could you give me a source for that? It seems to be a disputed topic. I know Columbus was nasty and treated the Natives as inferior people.
On the other hand I don't think the scenario would get better if players had to make slaves, spread diseases etc. I mean, it is not a simulation.

foldedcard wrote:
This looks like a fun scenario. Thanks for sharing.

A few suggestions:
1. Ressources-> Resources (lower left)
2. I was confused by the wording over the 3pre-positioned tiles. Maybe: "You will be able to explore these tiles when they are connected by other tiles to your camp"
3. What is the natives track? Is that the sequence of 1,2,3... in the tribal chants box? Label it. What happens once you get to 6. Does it stay at 6? Do you take wound for an unfulfilled demand?
4. Tribal chants: It wasn't clear that you need to advance red markers on both the track and to the next numbered tile (if present).
5. When revealing a tile with Indian camp: "Place the 1,2 token" -> "Place the next 1,2,... token on the tile, and add [red] to tile if that number is indicated on the native track"
6. How do you mark your camp? You use the shelter token for the tent. Some people might erroneously use the shelter token.

2. The text box is just there because normally the face down tiles indicate that you are no more able to get there.

3. Called it "Tribal Chants track" now. The marker cannot move further than 6. If you somehow manage to get 2 extra book symbols, there is an unfulfilled demand. So wounds for everybody. That doesn't make much sense, but... hey it could stand for another attack by the Natives!

4.&5. There is only one red marker. It can be either on the Tribal Chants track or on a tile (if you have explored the totem with the current number).

6. The camp is marked by the ship.
Players who don't have the Beagle expansion can use a white cube instead.

I tried to make things clearer in this version:
From gallery of jonasg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls