Subject: Looking for a fast deckbuilding game for two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are looking for a deckbuilding game to round out the collection.
We used to play and enjoy Core Worlds but have traded it away due to the time it takes to play and setup.
After we have become parents we simply dont have the the time. And if we have time for a long game, we prefer other games (Twilight Struggle, Battlelore, Nations, Aquasphere etc)

My wife HAAAAAAAAATES Dominion with a passion, due to its complete lack of theme and the issues with the fast money strategy simply beeing to easy to pull off, thus making for a less fun game. (for us)

So my dear fellow geeks, what is a good deckbuilding game, that plays well with two and has fast setup and play time, while still beeing strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCallum
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms or Ascension might fit the bill. Both play quickly and set up is a breeze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Ascension: Deckbuilding Game

We bought the Apprentice Edition to try it out, and soon after bought the

Ascension: Year One Collector's Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QC
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is fast and it's really cheap, so it doesn't cost much to try it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Star Realms
Theme is better than in Dominion. It is a lot more conflict-based, since your goal is to get the other's authority (life-points) to zero. Also different from Dominion, and very enjoyable, is that you can play and buy as many cards as you wish on your turn. Makes for a whole different experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha Berg
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley of the Kings is a small deck builder I've been wanting for awhile. I also agree with everyone else, Star Realms is excellent and fast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Rivals – Batman vs The Joker about $20 and very easy to learn and teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Rivals – Batman vs The Joker about $20 and very easy to learn and teach.

Seconded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Crown (Second edition)

I would say Dominion + Chess, but since you hate Dominion, then Deckbuilding + chess. Not too sure on fast playtime either. Early games take a long time and get faster further down the learning curve. But still a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Star Realms
+1 Valley of the Kings

You also might consider Flip City. It's a quick-playing deckbuilder with press-your-luck and tableau-building elements. The gimmick is that the cards have two sides, and one of the actions that you can take is to flip a card over to use different abilities. Despite being simple, the theme is fairly coherent: you try to purge the "residential buildings" from your deck in order to eliminate "unhappiness." "Parks" and "cultural centers" are expensive, but give resources that you need to meed the victory conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xenon Profiteer. We're also post-Dominion and couldn't put down Xenon Profiteer down. ~45 minutes, though some strategies, if they work, mean play goes much faster than that. Quick setup time, quick game, lots of fun.

Also Star Realms, as has been mentioned already. We both love that one to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms fits in your pocket and has a super fast setup. It also has the best card interactions compared to Dominion and Ascension. It also has several valid strategies. Each faction also presents valid strategies.

The Blobs are best at generating massive amounts of Combat and at removing undesirable cards from the Trade Row. The Star Empire is a combat oriented faction that draws lots of cards and makes the opponent discard cards. ​The Machine Cult gains most of its power from being able to remove undesirable cards from your deck and from having a large number of Bases designed to defend your Authority from attack. The Trade Federation specializes in generating large amounts of Trade (currency) and in gaining Authority (health/score).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Star realms.

It is available as a free app (both for apple and android) if you would like to try before you buy.
If you buy the game I strongly recommend to download the authority tracker. It improves gameplay enormously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Anderson
United States
Temecula
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it isn't exactly a strategic game, I would recommend Flip City. There is some strategy involved in it, but not a lot of player interaction. It is quick to set up and break down.

Another good one would be Eminent Domain. There's more strategy involved in it, and a lot more player interaction. I've seen many comparisons between it and Core Worlds from when it was released, but it plays a lot differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Star Realms - you can try it out with an Android/iOS app (possibly PC too?), the app is free with basic AI, if you want better AI, and more features then you can pay but the app is perfectly adequate for getting a feel of whether you would like the game (my, my wife & daughter all tried it out on the app and then bought the card game).

evarina wrote:
If you buy [Star Realms] I strongly recommend to download the authority tracker. It improves gameplay enormously.

We haven't had any problems with using the supplied cards for tracking authority, though I can see why people might not like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scribal wrote:
Another good one would be Eminent Domain.

Eminent Domain: Microcosm is another option for 2 players - it's not really a deck builder since you don't pay for cards or reshuffle your deck but it has some similarities and is quick to set-up and play.

Or forget deck building and play Race for the Galaxy which I see you have. (You could play using the drafting rules from The Gathering Storm if you wanted something a bit different - you can download the rules and I can't see why they wouldn't work 2p with the base game (and Alien Artifacts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions keep em coming. Will go through these with my wife.

Also when I say fast playtime I mean max about an hour. But an hour or so is okay. (excluding setup time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
As suggested, the Star Realms app is a cheap way to try the game. It is similar to the Ascension games, I would say if you like the one you can take a look at that "family" of games (loosely speaking).

Valley of the Kings is fast and I prefere that to Ascension because I feel like I have no control on the thing you can purchase. Also you can get quite nasty, something I can not find in Star Realms 2p.

Another option: Rune Age
Different scenarios with different win conditions. One of them co-op.
Except the Runewars scenario ("kill the other players") I would play the others with 2. But keep in mind this is one of my favourite games.
It looks like Dominion, but it uses Deckbuilding to do something different; the number of combos for each faction (each one unique) isvlimited and after a few games known to all players. Then you can start to play for real. Timing and keepink balance are key.
I guess if you like Eminent Domain you are not averse to "strange" ways to use deckbuilding.

HTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Huff wrote:
Another vote for Ascension: Deckbuilding Game

We bought the Apprentice Edition to try it out, and soon after bought the

Ascension: Year One Collector's Edition

I did the same thing for Ascension. The Year One Collector's Edition is an awesome amount of stuff for the cost. Regardless of the fancy version, the base game is far superior to Dominion in my experience.

It's fits the bill for you very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

It seems very simple is that true? We normally prefer more strategic games rather then light games. But I might be wrong since I havent played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
Xenon Profiteer. We're also post-Dominion and couldn't put down Xenon Profiteer down. ~45 minutes, though some strategies, if they work, mean play goes much faster than that. Quick setup time, quick game, lots of fun.

Also Star Realms, as has been mentioned already. We both love that one to death.

Man Xenon Profiteer looks interesting.

SO far I think I have narrowed it down to the following:

Xenon
Star Realms
Eminent Domain
Ascension
Valley of the Kings.

Any one that can give me pros and cons on those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely have to check Legendary- a marvel deckbuilding game. Much brtter than Ascension, DC, Dominion and it has plenty of expansions. You cannot ask for more from a deckbuilding game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sephakay wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

It seems very simple is that true? We normally prefer more strategic games rather then light games. But I might be wrong since I havent played it.

The regular DC Comics DBGs are very similar to Ascension, with addition of a seperate stack of Supervillains - big monsters that cost a lot to defeat and trigger effects when the next one on the stack is revealed.

The 2P version has a neat twist in that the "Supervillain" is the other player - they have a stack of three, progressively tougher character cards that you have to beat to win.

Before your turn starts, you have to decide whether to do a standard turn (buying cards from the lineup) or a Confrontation (going after the other player). In a Confrontation, you play out your hand and try to generate as much Power (cuurency) as you can - but then your opponent can play Block cards from their hand to raise the value of their character card.

Trying to time your Confrontations right adds fun and suspense, and the possibility of sudden death to the standard Ascension-style DBG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought and played Helionox: The Last Sunset this week and thought it was a fun, thematic and fast playing deck builder (40 min for 2p but can see that decreasing with experience).

Helionox can scale up to 4p (needs two games) and there are also solo and co-op game modes. Nice card art too.

I have limited experience with deck builders (not fond of Dominion, not yet played Star Realms), but continue to enjoy playing Core Worlds plus Galactic Orders expansion. Would agree that Core Worlds can take up a lot of table space and is a little fiddly with the energy usage mechanic.

Maybe download and read the rules for each game you're interested in?

Helionox doesn't have great retail distribution (only one store in Toronto carries it for now), but hopefully will become more popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For theme: Legendary Encounters Alien.
Thunderstone Advance (can be played opposed) out of print, second hand availability okay.

Or also Lord of The Rings the LCG, if you are seriously into Deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.